DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

red no fly zone what happens

Gary cato

Reactions
Ok so for me i wanted some kind of answer. Today i checked maps etc and found a stretch of wasteland that takes you from a zone you can fly in, to an unlock yellow zone. and then to a red NFZ

long story short. 2.5 kilo flight

750m in to flight geo off, no problem into the yellow unlock zone (airplane mode)

2.5 kilos in and hit the red NFZ

Height was 90m

GEO still off.

Red NFZ brought up the NFZ message alongside the message Smart RTH will initiate.

i am not that brave

i did not wait around to find out if it would.

bearing in mind all the stories of auto landing and hover etc i would hope it would RTH, had i tried to fully enter the zone..

0700 with latest DJI GO 4, only NFZ zones not updated since 0500. Good to know even with GEO off etc any red NFZ will still be active.

At this point i suffered no signal losses or any kind of interference to the AC or RC and was still at 3 bars for each..

Had the AC Auto landed it would have done so in a an area where the only thing to be hurt would be the grass in the fields. I chose this place carefully so that any problems would create no dramas. (the path i chose has no air traffic it just happens to fall into the radius of the NFZ).

Only way we're gonna know for sure.

Thanks for the info.

578738f47c9d961a5ba0d854c2f5d04c.jpg

Thanks for checking, the behaviour you observed wad decidedly different from what I'd seen whereby hitting a red NFZ would prevent the aircraft from moving in further.

The few differences are:
- I did not fly higher than a few meters.
- I was only 10 or so meters away from a red NFZ.

It was impossible for me to enter the zone further, but at no point did it tell me that it'd initiate RTH.

He had GEO off, I believe your description is what happens with GEO on.

Would have been wise to test both.

Reactions: Gary cato
He had GEO off, I believe your description is what happens with GEO on.

Would have been wise to test both.

I tested with GEO system off as well (off just means it'll use a more relaxed map as the Restricted NFZs are always enabled). That's how I knew how the app would behave if GEO system is enabled and the aircraft in already inside a NFZ: it'll force a landing, at least when inside a yellow NFZ.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent