Regional Airport denied request to fly

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by GastonMavic, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Aeroworks

Aeroworks Well-Known Member

Gastonia airfield has class G airspace surface to 700 feet. (Depicted by the magenta vignette outlines in area) Above 700 and you need atc authorization. For recreational use you must contact the airport if within 5 miles and tell them your plans. Even if they tell you to never call back, you need to tell them each time. This includes heliports and sea plane ports. (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

2. ascension

ascension Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what he did, and the reason why I called the guy.
    It would be much more valuable if we used terms such as "controlled airspace," vs "uncontrolled airspace," which seems to be the hangup with folks who are not licensed pilots, as most of these folks are.

Somebody who answers a phone does not have authority to grant or refuse airspace usage, and they need to know that.

3. Andrew F

Andrew F Well-Known Member

Many copter pilots seem to think their rules are suggestions. Pretty frustrating. Get his number and report him next time. He'll deny it but multiple reports will have an effect, methinks.

4. Captain Mavic

Captain Mavic New Member

Just stay below 400' AGL parallel to the runway and stay clear of the ends of the runway, where planes are taking off and landing and you should be fine.

5. Bryan Conover

Bryan Conover Well-Known Member

Multiple reports will have an effect?....You mean the same effect of submitting over 100 video documented YT moment of Casey Neistat flying dangerously over freeways and people within 5 miles of a airport?...numerous 333 holders complained and it made no impact. The FAA like any government agency thinks boldly but does not have the resources to prosecute or enforce. They rely on people's ability to self govern and to rat out their neighbor with the assistance of local police to delegate FAA interest in a situation. Smoke and mirrors.

6. LarryO

LarryO New Member

I have a somewhat similar question. Looking at the B4UFly app I see that I am right in the middle of 5 different little airport zones. One town airport and 4 little grass strip "airports" that have no offices or ATC as best I can determine. Do I have to somehow call all of these tiny grass strip airports or just the little town paved airport?

7. Tweekme

Tweekme Member

Larry,

reply back with a LAT / LONG. Myself or others on the forum can then look at a sectional chart and assist you.

Thanks!

8. Eyeinthesky33

Eyeinthesky33 Well-Known Member

9. Bchirrick

Bchirrick Member

That video was proven to be a fake. Has never happened.

SvenG and Retoxx like this.
  10. LarryO

LarryO New Member

The B4UFly app shows 33.15, -84.32. or more specifically from google earth 33.09'02.62N, 84.19'12.68W I have no idea why they are different.

11. Eyeinthesky33

Eyeinthesky33 Well-Known Member

True.

Retoxx likes this.
  12. HeliFreak

HeliFreak Well-Known Member

There's even a video behind the scenes showing the animation break down...

Retoxx likes this.
  13. Tweekme

Tweekme Member

Larry,

So, you are just inside Griffin - Spalding County Class Echo (E). You would actually be flying under the Class E, as it starts at 700', and you can only fly to 400' AGL. Since you are located in the approach/ departure, and within the Class E, you would need to simply contact the operator or owner/ manager, and let them know when and where you are flying.

Ownership: Publicly owned
    Owner: GRIFFIN SPALDING COUNTY APT AUTH
    1035 S HILL STREET
    GRIFFIN, GA 30224
    770-227-2928
    Manager: ROBERT MOHL
    1035 S HILL STREET
    GRIFFIN, GA 30224
    770-227-2928

However, be aware that there are several private fields around you, the closest being Toland (to the North), then Kitchens (to the East)

Toland:
    Privately Owned
    Owner: LANCE P. TOLAND
    1518 41 HWY
    MILNER, GA 30257
    770-228-9239 CELL - 770-329-7200

Kitchens:
    Privately Owned
    Owner:BOB & BARBARA KITCHENS
    409 RUSSELL RD.
    MILNER, GA 30257
    770-229-5139
    Manager:BARBARA KITCHENS
    409 RUSSELL RD
    MILNER, GA 30257
    CELL - 404-931-7358
    770-229-5139

14. SteveCA

SteveCA Well-Known Member

What is your take on flying below 160 ft within 2.5 miles of a major international airport? Do you think they would authorize it? Is authorization required? or just notification? I never fly within 5 miles of major airports and have never called ATC but was wondering...

15. LarryO

LarryO New Member

Thanks Tweekme, that was very helpful. What resource do you use to get the contact information for the little private airports. Is there an app for that or online?

16. ascension

You absolutely have to notify them. I haven't seen anything that necessitates "authorization," but remember that you are not allowed to fly near other aircraft. That's kind of a fuzzy rule, but depending on runway alignment, that could be an issue for you.

17. George-H

George-H Active Member

Same question---What is the difference between an airport and an air strip----some air strips there is nobody to call like private ones. They may not be home or maybe on vacation for 6 months somewhere.. I don't think calling the grounds keeper would mean anything.

18. ascension

I anticipated this issue and read the FAA's description of an "airport."
    First, there is nothing called an airstrip in any formal sense, so let's forget about that.
    Second, somebody who paves a grass strip on his property does not have an airport.

My view is that it is wise to call anyone you can find and tell them what you are doing, though I wouldn't worry about private property "runways." That is just being polite.
    If they have an atc component, you need to notify them.
    If the facility shows up on a sectional chart as class B,C,D,E, I would notify them, and all that have an atc component would.

19. Tweekme

Tweekme Member

Larry,

Several resources online for the contact information. My go to is sky vector:
    http://skyvector.com/

On IOS and Android:
    ForeFlight

20. NYCMAV

NYCMAV Well-Known Member

I live in NYC so I don't get to fly my drone locally as I fall within a 5 mile radius of two heliports operating on the East river. From reading all of the above, am I correct in thinking that as long as I contact (email?) the tower operators with my intent to fly, there shouldn't be an issue? Obviously not flying in crowded areas (yes we have big parks here!) and not in a reckless manner. NYC is a bit of a police state, but I'm assuming if I follow FAA protocol the local authorities wont have a any right to stop me?

Heres a screenshot of my location using data from the Hover app.

[​IMG]

#40 NYCMAV, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017