DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regional Airport denied request to fly

Gastonia airfield has class G airspace surface to 700 feet. (Depicted by the magenta vignette outlines in area) Above 700 and you need atc authorization. For recreational use you must contact the airport if within 5 miles and tell them your plans. Even if they tell you to never call back, you need to tell them each time. This includes heliports and sea plane ports. (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: f00f
Gastonia airfield has class G airspace surface to 700 feet. (Depicted by the magenta vignette outlines in area) Above 700 and you need atc authorization. For recreational use you must contact the airport if within 5 miles and tell them your plans. Even if they tell you to never call back, you need to tell them each time. This includes heliports and sea plane ports. (Public Law 112-95, Section 336).

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Which is exactly what he did, and the reason why I called the guy.
It would be much more valuable if we used terms such as "controlled airspace," vs "uncontrolled airspace," which seems to be the hangup with folks who are not licensed pilots, as most of these folks are.

Somebody who answers a phone does not have authority to grant or refuse airspace usage, and they need to know that.

They should worry more about other A/C, I was flying in the park today and was at 250' AGL when I heard the distinctive sound of a Copter, looked over my shoulder and here comes a civilian version of a OH-58 buzzing right at me at about 200', I didn't want to dive in front of him so I switched to sport and gave full collective and shot up to 400 as I veered away. I don't think he would have hit me but I can see the news now, "Drone strikes helicopter!!" There is a Hospital pad about 2 miles away but this wasn't a medevac bird, more like a corporate taxi.
Many copter pilots seem to think their rules are suggestions. Pretty frustrating. Get his number and report him next time. He'll deny it but multiple reports will have an effect, methinks.

Just ordered my Mavic from best buy today. I decided to finally reach out to my small, single runway regional airport to make sure they wouldn't have an issue with me flying. I am roughly 2 1/2 miles away, parallel to the runway.
Checked their website and the phone number listed was outdated.
Used the AirMap application and found a working number.

I called and politely started the speech about how I was requesting to fly a UAV in my neighborhood under 300' AGL within line of site. Before I could get the sentence out he cut me off with a "nahhh ahh, I ain't taking liability for them drones." Since I am only required to notify them, can I still fly? I want to do the responsible thing but this guy just seems like he's got an issue with the hobby and isn't going to budge.

Don't know if its relevant, but the city owns the airport. The guy I spoke to was the airport manager. According to him, I could contact the state and request permission but he didn't specify who to contact.

Just stay below 400' AGL parallel to the runway and stay clear of the ends of the runway, where planes are taking off and landing and you should be fine.

Many copter pilots seem to think their rules are suggestions. Pretty frustrating. Get his number and report him next time. He'll deny it but multiple reports will have an effect, methinks.
Multiple reports will have an effect?....You mean the same effect of submitting over 100 video documented YT moment of Casey Neistat flying dangerously over freeways and people within 5 miles of a airport?...numerous 333 holders complained and it made no impact. The FAA like any government agency thinks boldly but does not have the resources to prosecute or enforce. They rely on people's ability to self govern and to rat out their neighbor with the assistance of local police to delegate FAA interest in a situation. Smoke and mirrors.

I have a somewhat similar question. Looking at the B4UFly app I see that I am right in the middle of 5 different little airport zones. One town airport and 4 little grass strip "airports" that have no offices or ATC as best I can determine. Do I have to somehow call all of these tiny grass strip airports or just the little town paved airport?

I have a somewhat similar question. Looking at the B4UFly app I see that I am right in the middle of 5 different little airport zones. One town airport and 4 little grass strip "airports" that have no offices or ATC as best I can determine. Do I have to somehow call all of these tiny grass strip airports or just the little town paved airport?
Larry,

reply back with a LAT / LONG. Myself or others on the forum can then look at a sectional chart and assist you.

Thanks!

Every airport tower I've called have been understanding and tolerant. (Riverside and Chino)...they both made it pretty clear they aren't too concerned about drones below 400 feet...Riverside said not to call back again (Pest, 4th request in a month) and we fly over a field 2.5 miles west of the landing run way...Planes and Heli's stay about 500' and all is good. Historically speaking a drone has never made impact with a aircraft mid air.

The B4UFly app shows 33.15, -84.32. or more specifically from google earth 33.09'02.62N, 84.19'12.68W I have no idea why they are different.

Larry,

reply back with a LAT / LONG. Myself or others on the forum can then look at a sectional chart and assist you.

Thanks!

The B4UFly app shows 33.15, -84.32. or more specifically from google earth 33.09'02.62N, 84.19'12.68W I have no idea why they are different.

Larry,

So, you are just inside Griffin - Spalding County Class Echo (E). You would actually be flying under the Class E, as it starts at 700', and you can only fly to 400' AGL. Since you are located in the approach/ departure, and within the Class E, you would need to simply contact the operator or owner/ manager, and let them know when and where you are flying.

Ownership: Publicly owned
Owner: GRIFFIN SPALDING COUNTY APT AUTH
1035 S HILL STREET
GRIFFIN, GA 30224
770-227-2928
Manager: ROBERT MOHL
1035 S HILL STREET
GRIFFIN, GA 30224
770-227-2928

However, be aware that there are several private fields around you, the closest being Toland (to the North), then Kitchens (to the East)

Toland:
Privately Owned
Owner: LANCE P. TOLAND
1518 41 HWY
MILNER, GA 30257
770-228-9239 CELL - 770-329-7200

Kitchens:
Privately Owned
Owner:BOB & BARBARA KITCHENS
409 RUSSELL RD.
MILNER, GA 30257
770-229-5139
Manager:BARBARA KITCHENS
409 RUSSELL RD
MILNER, GA 30257
CELL - 404-931-7358
770-229-5139

What is your take on flying below 160 ft within 2.5 miles of a major international airport? Do you think they would authorize it? Is authorization required? or just notification? I never fly within 5 miles of major airports and have never called ATC but was wondering...

Thanks Tweekme, that was very helpful. What resource do you use to get the contact information for the little private airports. Is there an app for that or online?

Larry,

So, you are just inside Griffin - Spalding County Class Echo (E). ....../QUOTE]
Thanks

What is your take on flying below 160 ft within 2.5 miles of a major international airport? Do you think they would authorize it? Is authorization required? or just notification? I never fly within 5 miles of major airports and have never called ATC but was wondering...

You absolutely have to notify them. I haven't seen anything that necessitates "authorization," but remember that you are not allowed to fly near other aircraft. That's kind of a fuzzy rule, but depending on runway alignment, that could be an issue for you.

Same question---What is the difference between an airport and an air strip----some air strips there is nobody to call like private ones. They may not be home or maybe on vacation for 6 months somewhere.. I don't think calling the grounds keeper would mean anything.

Same question---What is the difference between an airport and an air strip----some air strips there is nobody to call like private ones. They may not be home or maybe on vacation for 6 months somewhere.. I don't think calling the grounds keeper would mean anything.

I anticipated this issue and read the FAA's description of an "airport."
First, there is nothing called an airstrip in any formal sense, so let's forget about that.
Second, somebody who paves a grass strip on his property does not have an airport.

My view is that it is wise to call anyone you can find and tell them what you are doing, though I wouldn't worry about private property "runways." That is just being polite.
If they have an atc component, you need to notify them.
If the facility shows up on a sectional chart as class B,C,D,E, I would notify them, and all that have an atc component would.

Thanks Tweekme, that was very helpful. What resource do you use to get the contact information for the little private airports. Is there an app for that or online?

Larry,

Several resources online for the contact information. My go to is sky vector:
http://skyvector.com/

On IOS and Android:
ForeFlight

I live in NYC so I don't get to fly my drone locally as I fall within a 5 mile radius of two heliports operating on the East river. From reading all of the above, am I correct in thinking that as long as I contact (email?) the tower operators with my intent to fly, there shouldn't be an issue? Obviously not flying in crowded areas (yes we have big parks here!) and not in a reckless manner. NYC is a bit of a police state, but I'm assuming if I follow FAA protocol the local authorities wont have a any right to stop me?

Heres a screenshot of my location using data from the Hover app.

2cohtsy.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov