Regional Airport denied request to fly

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by GastonMavic, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Lightsout

Lightsout Well-Known Member

Your problem may also be that most parks in NYC prohibit drone flying that is becoming a common thread all around the country

2. Bxiie

Bxiie New Member

RMB, sort of. Depending where he is located, the class C airspace starts at 1400, 3600, 4000, or 5000 feet AGL. So as long as he's at or below the FAA-legal 400 feet, he should be fine. If he's 2 miles from KAKH, he's more than 5 miles from KCLT and does not need to notify them as long as he's below the floor of the class C. I do not think having an FAA license matters (yet).

3. mcsenerd

mcsenerd Well-Known Member

I appreciate this discussion but at this point, should this thread be moved to the rules and regulations sub forum?

JohnnyBaywatch and dirkclod like this.
  4. Bryan Conover

Bryan Conover Active Member

Too bad this video is fake.

larryp and tommyrich like this.
  5. Bryan Conover

Bryan Conover Active Member

Contact Casey Neistat....He flys that air space all the time at a altitude of his choosing. No one gives a crap.

stuffonastick, kennedye and lotek like this.
  6. dmanisgnarly

dmanisgnarly Well-Known Member

I bought a hand radio on amazon just to monitor local air traffic and also talk to the tower to inform them of my activity. Being former Air Force and moving about the runway daily, I have lot of experience with air traffic patterns and relaying information in a uniformed fashion. If you live in and area such as mine that has A LOT of activity, it's good idea to learn some of the local lingo and peak flight hours. I live within 5 miles of a major airport here in Wilmington, NC but have never had any problems. I fly daily but what you do is ultimately up to you!

Sent from my SM-P900 using MavicPilots mobile app

7. Retoxx

Retoxx Member

Too bad? Lol, I'm VERY happy planes are not made this cheaply, and a collision like this would most likely not result in losing a wing tip!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

8. DroningOn

DroningOn Well-Known Member

Are you serious? You're going to communicate with air traffic control via your very own radio? Nice!! What's your call sign? Do you dress up too? ;-/

[​IMG]

erkme73 and wiringbyron like this.
  9. ascension

ascension Well-Known Member

Talking to them over atc frequencies also requries a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit.

10. Ateam043

Ateam043 Well-Known Member

Now if I can only find the number for March Air Force base...I'm 4.5 miles out and next to a canyon. You think I'd be good?

11. dmanisgnarly

No need to be a ****. Yes, I have a VHF radio and enjoy being in the loop when I fly. There is a lot of outside military training in my area and it's nice to know when then ospreys and aging hueys are flying practice runs so I don't interfere. Just doing my part as a responsible owner...Yes it cost a little to get a FCC VHF license but considering I've spent thousands on my drones I like the piece of mind.

FLwaverunner likes this.
  12. DroningOn

DroningOn Well-Known Member

Dude I'm not a ****, you said in your post that you were going to "talk to the tower" via the radio. I think the local air traffic control would consider that "interfering"

13. dmanisgnarly

Its completely legal...as I am a licensed radio operator. What's the difference between calling over the phone vs. radio? I lived on a runway in Afghanistan and have a lot of air time with the tower..best advice is to keep communication short and simple. Its legal here in the U.S..I suggest brushing up on the ins and outs of FCC radio operations.

I've seen many people have said to just contact the air traffic control tower directly via telephone. This could/should work, however it won't put you into continuous contact with the tower. If they need to contact you quickly in order to deal with arriving/departing traffic it could pose a problem.

#53 dmanisgnarly, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  14. finalfantasyfans

finalfantasyfans Well-Known Member

I live in this community(32.965318, -97.148066). Can someone please tell me if I can fly here?

15. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa Well-Known Member

You have nothing around you at that point. Check the map here. Of where you cant fly.

Red no fly!
    Yellow only with authorization.
    Green your good just keep a look out.

Click the link below for you own map.
    DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

16. finalfantasyfans

finalfantasyfans Well-Known Member

But in B4UFly app, it says Flight Prohibited - "Do not fly your aircraft".

Jaysjob likes this.
  17. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa Well-Known Member

Suit yourself, but I gave you the answer already. You'll have to make your own judgement. Anywhere within 5 miles of an airport your required to notify them. You have a hospital with a heli pad to the south, you also have what appears to be a closed airport near there. But besides fort worth and dfw airports which you seem in the middle and well out the range or way at less then 400ft. I don't see any reason nor did DJI to ground you. You will be able to fly but it will be your judgement to make that call and stay away of the heli pad or hospital.

finalfantasyfans likes this.
  18. Retoxx

Retoxx Member

Download the "Airmap" app for your phone, or use the air-space map at: U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

It will tell you exact numbers to call if you need permission (according to the map, you do) but, if you are keeping the flight below tree line heights I wouldn't bother to call.... if your going upwards of 100' and higher, I would call to be safe... but of course, always a judgement call, I have flown Plenty of yellow zones without problem, before I knew they were yellow zones. Lol

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

19. enigmamdw

enigmamdw Well-Known Member

He can't deny it if you have telemetry data and video/stills of his action... Just sayin...

20. enigmamdw

enigmamdw Well-Known Member

All National parks and many local/municipal parks disallow you to "operate a drone," but if you take off and land outside of the park you are flying legally.

Retoxx likes this.