DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Regional Airport denied request to fly

View attachment 3332 Check me if I am wrong. If you are not a FAA Licensed pilot you can't fly within 5 miles of an airport and if you are FAA Licensed the vector map say that you can totally fly there as I believe the Class E Air space there starts at 1200 AGL and the CView attachment 3332 lass C you appear to be in starts above 400 AGL. Can some one else check me on that?

Right adjacent to the Gastonia airport, the airspace is complicated. At the surface, you are in Class G airspace. This extends up to 700' ( not 1200') at which point the Class E airspace starts. Above that you have a shelf from the Charlotte Class B airspace that starts at 4000' and extends up to 10000'. There is no Class C airspace here.

If you are flying as a hobbyist, you would be flying under 400' so no conflict with the airspace there. You are in Class G airspace which is good. You would be required to notify the Gastonia airport (and any other airport within 5 miles) that you are flying but you do NOT need their permission. A commercial pilot would also be flying under 400' in Class G airspace but would not need to provide any notification to airports within 5 miles.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

An interesting point to add here. Most of us have operated under the assumption that the airports nearby (not Class B, C, D or surface E) only have to be notified and that they cannot deny permission. However, I was reading the FAA guidance documents that accompany Part 107 and in there the FAA says that if a regional or private airport said you shouldn't fly when you contact them that they (FAA) would consider it a violation if you were to fly. They argue that the law prevents interfering with air traffic and if you fly when any of these people say no, then you are interfering with air traffic.

I'm sure many would object to this interpretation of the law but until it is litigated somewhere, this is apparently the tact that FAA will take.

if a regional or private airport said you shouldn't fly when you contact them that they (FAA) would consider it a violation if you were to fly. They argue that the law prevents interfering with air traffic and if you fly when any of these people say no, then you are interfering with air traffic.

Hmmmm, not "any of these people". ATC.

If ATC says "don't fly", DON'T.

ATC is almost without fail courteous and helpful. However, they are often really busy, with heavy resposibilities, so know your stuff, be polite, precise and succinct. ATC will not ground you on a whim, and also only for a specified period of time, with good reason.

It is ATC that is the law, however, not some manager/security person/fuel manager, etc.

HTH
Steve
Canadian, but has flown quite a bit in the USA as a private pilot.

Hmmmm, not "any of these people". ATC.

If ATC says "don't fly", DON'T.

ATC is almost without fail courteous and helpful. However, they are often really busy, with heavy resposibilities, so know your stuff, be polite, precise and succinct. ATC will not ground you on a whim, and also only for a specified period of time, with good reason.

It is ATC that is the law, however, not some manager/security person/fuel manager, etc.

HTH
Steve
Canadian, but has flown quite a bit in the USA as a private pilot.

Steve, not talking about ATC. That of course is a no-brainer. FAA in this document is arguing that anyone at these small airstrips or heliports can tell you not to fly and that if you then do fly the FAA would consider you in violation. It would ultimately be an interesting court battle but someone would have to spend money to fight them.

Steve, not talking about ATC. That of course is a no-brainer. FAA in this document is arguing that anyone at these small airstrips or heliports can tell you not to fly and that if you then do fly the FAA would consider you in violation. It would ultimately be an interesting court battle but someone would have to spend money to fight them.

Yowzer. Mea culpa.

Reactions: duelingglove
I live near where the black star is on the map so I should be good to go. But when I fly I get a notice that I'm in Class B Airspace, fly with caution. Can anyone tell me about my Class B Airspace by DFW Airport?
c912c8907da879ebe67148b9c0fc4c46.jpg

50c3686595751da0e6558deae30023d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

I live near where the black star is on the map so I should be good to go. But when I fly I get a notice that I'm in Class B Airspace, fly with caution. Can anyone tell me about my Class B Airspace by DFW Airport?
c912c8907da879ebe67148b9c0fc4c46.jpg

50c3686595751da0e6558deae30023d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

You are definitely not good to go. In fact, unfortunately, you couldn't be in a worse spot. Your location is solidly inside the inner-most cylinder of DFW Class B restricted airspace. The Class B airspace at that point goes from the surface to 11,000'. Technically, you could request an authorization to operate in that area from Air Traffic Control, but it is highly unlikely you would get one in that airspace since it is one of the busiest and most congested airspaces in the country.

Sorry to deliver bad news, but you're going to have to find a different place to fly.

I don't know how to read the charts too well but I see the 110/20 by my location. Isn't it from 2,000-11,000 feet? Looks like that area begins about 4 miles east of me.

Last edited:
I don't know how to read the charts too well but I see the 110/20 by my location. Isn't it from 2,000-11,000 feet? Looks like that area begins about 4 miles east of me.

It's often hard to locate exactly where you are on these charts. I may have not located you exactly right. If you think you are in the 110/20 area, then yes that would be a shelf of the Class B above you from 2,000 to 11,000' and you'd be ok to fly.

I'd be glad to help you check for sure. If you send me a latitude/longitude or a nearby street intersection, I can look it up with more precision.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: ebf
I have two small airports next to me. Pete's Identifier WN14 latitude 47.841558333333 longitude -177.4468875 and Mead Flying Service Identifier 70S latitude 47.787186666667 longitude -177.358182777778. I am using the AirMap app and have tried to call both places letting them know I am going to fly. Pete's number is disconnected and no one answers at Mead so I left a voicemail. Before I fly again what should I do if anything? Thank you for your time.

I have two small airports next to me. Pete's Identifier WN14 latitude 47.841558333333 longitude -177.4468875 and Mead Flying Service Identifier 70S latitude 47.787186666667 longitude -177.358182777778. I am using the AirMap app and have tried to call both places letting them know I am going to fly. Pete's number is disconnected and no one answers at Mead so I left a voicemail. Before I fly again what should I do if anything? Thank you for your time.

Legally if it's unmanned you do not have to call

Reactions: ebf
Just ordered my Mavic from best buy today. I decided to finally reach out to my small, single runway regional airport to make sure they wouldn't have an issue with me flying. I am roughly 2 1/2 miles away, parallel to the runway.
Checked their website and the phone number listed was outdated.
Used the AirMap application and found a working number.

I called and politely started the speech about how I was requesting to fly a UAV in my neighborhood under 300' AGL within line of site. Before I could get the sentence out he cut me off with a "nahhh ahh, I ain't taking liability for them drones." Since I am only required to notify them, can I still fly? I want to do the responsible thing but this guy just seems like he's got an issue with the hobby and isn't going to budge.

Don't know if its relevant, but the city owns the airport. The guy I spoke to was the airport manager. According to him, I could contact the state and request permission but he didn't specify who to contact.

Long thread didn't read through it all but I live next to BWI in MD. I have to request every time I fly due to being 3 miles out. They usually say thanks for notifying us and have told me this is not permission just you notifying us that you are flying. I have been denied one time which they have the right to do but are required to give a reason to you. I was denied due to them having to use an auxiliary runway or something but told me to call them back later in the day if i was interested still. They have to write all of this down on a document they are given by the FAA. I usually get the same girl every time I call and I have asked her a few questions to confirm everything and what their process is.

Thanks for the reply, I figured that was the case.
The airport is Gastonia Municipal Airport (KAKH)
Gastonia Municipal Airport-KAKH-AOPA Airports

The gentleman I spoke with was Dennis, the airport manager. Not sure if there is anyone above him that I can contact.
Did you check the VFR Chart to see if there are restrictions, if not, definitely question his authority.

Seems like there is an awful lot of confusion here about the rules in the US. That's likely because the rules are confusing... :)

If you are a hobbyist:

1. Airspace classifications mean nothing. You can fly anywhere you like as long as you notify the airport AND tower when you are flying within 5 miles.

2. You have no altitude restrictions if you are flying within the AMA's safety guidelines except when you are near an airport.

3. You must NOT interfere with manned aircraft. That includes a lot of common-sense things that aren't explicitly stated. Generally, avoid the immediate airport area and you should be OK 99% of the time.

4. You must fly within visual line of sight. That means you, the operator, must be able to visually see the aircraft at all times. This means no long distance flights and no goggles.

5. You must follow a safety code promulgated by a nationwide community-oriented group, which at this time basically means the AMA - of which you need not be a member.

If you are flying as a non-hobbyist (commercial or other non-recreational flight under Part 107):

1. You don't need to notify an airport or tower when flying within 5 miles, but you cannot fly in controlled airspace without authorization, which you must obtain from the FAA's portal. ATC at the tower has been directed to NOT grant such permission.

2. ...All the other Part 107 rules. Too numerous to list.

Now, to the other sticky widget:

1. You cannot, as a UAS pilot, transmit on a VHF radio. There is no category of FCC station license that permits it.

Your RROP covers you as an operator, but the STATION must be licensed as well. For a station ABOARD an aircraft, it's covered by rule. Ground stations require their own station license, and there is currently no category of license that would cover a UAS pilot. The FCC hasn't gotten there yet. You can listen all you like - and this isn't a bad idea - but you cannot legally transmit.

I took flight training for a year and I can tell you that 90% of the airports in the US are what are called pilot controlled... and have no tower, thus calling them is a complete waste of time. You end up talking to the guy who fuels the plane and takes hangar rent. Its not like they are going to put out an APB to those taking off and landing to watch for a drone 3 miles away at 400'. You never get to 400' until you are within about a half mile of the airport in a pattern or heading directly in for an instrument approach. To conform, I notified my airport by leaving a message that I will be flying my drone about 3 miles away at different times of the day and early evening , for the next year. Guess what.. no call back !

Yep, 99% of the airports and towers I've contacted had little interest in either my flight or the call - but it's still the requirement. Hopefully the FAA will develop a notification portal that will notify all airports within 5 miles of a location you enter for you in a more automated manner.

I should mention that the local mosquito control folks - who fly a helicopter at low altitudes regularly - were very interested in knowing that I would by flying near my house. They only asked that if I heard them coming to land until they were out of the area - which, of course, I would do.

Wow Joet, excellent summary and thank you for the awesomely informative post!!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Be very careful of any information you read on this forum regarding legality.
Some is wrong, some is little more than opinion, and also wrong.
If it isn't backed up by a link or a reference, be suspect.
Contact anyone you can and inform them of your intention to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio