Registering with the FAA again ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by fcat, Dec 1, 2016.

1. fcat

fcat Member

Just took delivery of my Mavic and sold my P4, do i have to re register the Mavic with the FAA or is the number i was issued when i registered my P4 transferable from the P4 to the Mavic ?

Thanks for any info

2. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

You do not need to register your Mavic with the FAA. Just place your existing FAA registration number on your Mavic. This same registration number should be affixed to all of your aircraft.

fcat likes this.
  3. fcat

fcat Member

Awesome, thanks

4. Cogito

Cogito New Member

This is correct, unless you're flying your drone for commercial purposes (receiving any money or compensation for flying, taking photos or video with your drone.) If you are flying commercially each drone must be registered separately and have a different number. (and someone in your flying operation has to have a part 107 pilot certificate or a section 333 waiver.)

fcat likes this.
  5. sam2428

sam2428 Active Member

I have a similar situation...I purchased a P3P a few months back which I ended up returning due to a faulty controller battery. I registered the drone with the FAA immediately but never actually flew it nor did I attached the registration number to the drone.

I am assuming I can just affix the number to my Mavic now instead and be good to go? I am using for personal recreational use.

6. msinger

msinger Well-Known Member
    Approved Vendor

You only actually registered yourself. The FAA has no idea which aircraft you own and there is no limit to the number of aircraft you can attach your registration number to.

7. sam2428

sam2428 Active Member

That's good to know. Thank you! I tried looking at the FAQ on their website and it does not really specify.