DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Registration?

If you're flying in the US as a hobbyist, you need to register with the FAA here before flying.

If you're in the US, you must, or face some potential huge fines.

Note that in Taylor v. fAA, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals (DC Circuit) ruled in May 2017 that you do not have to register your " hobbyist" drone. A drone is considered a model aircraft and registration is not required pursuant to this Court Ruling. So , if someone asks you as of May 2017, NO, you do not have to register your drone.

A drone is considered a model aircraft and registration is not required pursuant to this Court Ruling. So , if someone asks you as of May 2017, NO, you do not have to register your drone.
According to John Taylor, registration is still required as of today. See more details here.

Whether it's required or not anymore, it's still a smart idea to register. It's only $5 and if you happen to come across law enforcement or an angry neighbor, showing them that it's registered might cause them to back off a bit easier without issue.

According to John Taylor, registration is still required as of today. See more details here.
The FAA is weighing their options but according to the FAA site, registration is encouraged but not required. Now, you can use your own judgment and wait for their motion for rehearing and certification , but if I were advising myself, I'd say as of today that the rule is hobbyist do not need to register currently. I also have the feeling that the rehearing will fail as to issue of registration as it is up to Congress to change the law and thus does not appear to be happening and time soon.

Reactions: snipe
Whether it's required or not anymore, it's still a smart idea to register. It's only $5 and if you happen to come across law enforcement or an angry neighbor, showing them that it's registered might cause them to back off a bit easier without issue.
On what basis would local law enforcement have the authority to enforce an FAA rule that the DC CCA has invalidated. We are simply awaiting clerk certification pending rehearing. Can a local or even state cop enforce a Federal Rule requiring registration??

If one looks at this prospectively, the hobbyist registration rule is going bye bye. I can't see the FAA winning this one ( on registration) in light of Taylor. It's now up to Congress to change the law. There's a lot bigger fish to fry right now.

The FAA is weighing their options but according to the FAA site, registration is encouraged but not required.

Where are you getting that the FAA is "encouraging" registration and not requiring it?

sUAS Registration

Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)

You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register.

Where are you getting that the FAA is "encouraging" registration and not requiring it?

sUAS Registration

Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)

You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register.
. See from FAA.gov:
We are carefully reviewing the U.S. Court of Appeals decision (PDF) as it relates to drone registrations. We are in the process of considering our response to the decision as well as any registration implications for non-commercial users. Please check this website regularly for further updates and instructions.

In the meantime, we encourage registration for all drone operators.

**** big difference between " encourage" and require or " shall." **** Permissive versus mandatory . Point is, once Taylor is Certified, Registration shall not be required.

Reactions: Jungle_Cat
On what basis would local law enforcement have the authority to enforce an FAA rule that the DC CCA has invalidated. We are simply awaiting clerk certification pending rehearing. Can a local or even state cop enforce a Federal Rule requiring registration??
I'm not saying they will enforce an FAA rule. I was just suggesting that providing registration during any sort of encounter with an ignorant individual has a better chance of being de-escalted as opposed to responding with "I don't have to register!!".

We've all seen those videos of cops and neighbors fed up with pilots not at all in the wrong. This is my idea of trying to prevent those situations.

I'm not saying they will enforce an FAA rule. I was just suggesting that providing registration during any sort of encounter with an ignorant individual has a better chance of being de-escalted as opposed to responding with "I don't have to register!!".

We've all seen those videos of cops and neighbors fed up with pilots not at all in the wrong. This is my idea of trying to prevent those situations.
I don't disagree, but what does registration by FAA have to do with state NFZ rules?? Where's the state interest ?? I get the whole NFZ for airports and altitude restrictions , and commercial use etc., but the whole registration thing is not within the purview of their power, state or federal.

Don't you American have a court ruling saying you don't need to register your drones anymore? ...stop promoting false infomation about registration.

Don't you American have a court ruling saying you don't need to register your drones anymore?
Per the guy who took the FAA to court, this ruling does not become effective until the clerk issues a mandate. See more details here.

Per the guy who took the FAA to court, this ruling does not become effective until the clerk issues a mandate. See more details here.
It appears that there is a late June 17 Senate and House bill to address the Taylor decision and now mandate the registration requirements that the FAA could not before. These were introduced last week and will have to be heard, voted and then go to reconciliation. If it passes, then yes, it "appears" it will be required ( again). If this occurs, Taylor was a short lived decision by the DC CCA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User