DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote control battery level

Cerberus

Reactions
I'm starting to wonder whether the amount of battery power you have left on your RC
have some kind of effects on your HD and Radio signal to the AC...

Yesterday while flying from my usual spot from home, I once again attempted to fly to this house by the lake that is roughly 1000m from me. Please note in previous attempts when I reach that house, my signal dropped 1 bar and sometimes on occasions my Radio signal will flash indicating some radio interference but in no way my flying was affected nor my video as shown on my phone..

Yesterday, while flying towards that house, i think roughly 700 to 800 m away from me, the radio signal is at full, so was the HD signal.. But I started noticing my video output on my phone start glitching from color to black and white a couple of times..

I immediately lets go of my stick and my AC went into hover and the glitching persists.. Note the radio and HD signal still shows solid bars and no flashing..

Having a bad feel about this, I immediately heads my AC home..
less than 500m, my video goes back to normal...

check my settings and everything is as is, with the difference that my RC is down to around 73%

You guys think there might be a connection between the glitching and the RC battery level?

No,, I don't think there is a connection. I don't know what device you are using but for me, I get the same video glitches occasionally, but it comes from my phone device being overtaxed.

Reactions: Cerberus
You could always crank up the bandwidth and try again, but to answer your question no, I do not think the remote battery had anything to do with it.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Cerberus
I'm starting to wonder whether the amount of battery power you have left on your RC
have some kind of effects on your HD and Radio signal to the AC...

Yesterday while flying from my usual spot from home, I once again attempted to fly to this house by the lake that is roughly 1000m from me. Please note in previous attempts when I reach that house, my signal dropped 1 bar and sometimes on occasions my Radio signal will flash indicating some radio interference but in no way my flying was affected nor my video as shown on my phone..

Yesterday, while flying towards that house, i think roughly 700 to 800 m away from me, the radio signal is at full, so was the HD signal.. But I started noticing my video output on my phone start glitching from color to black and white a couple of times..

I immediately lets go of my stick and my AC went into hover and the glitching persists.. Note the radio and HD signal still shows solid bars and no flashing..

Having a bad feel about this, I immediately heads my AC home..
less than 500m, my video goes back to normal...

check my settings and everything is as is, with the difference that my RC is down to around 73%

You guys think there might be a connection between the glitching and the RC battery level?

No.

It occurs to me that if your lake was really smooth the return signal could have multipath that could screw up the feed. ie: you're 3 m above the lake surface, the drone is at 30 m, the LOS is 1000 m, but the multipath reflected off lake distance is a bit longer. That signal arrives late and out of phase with the LOS signal. Could cause all sorts of issues.

No,, I don't think there is a connection. I don't know what device you are using but for me, I get the same video glitches occasionally, but it comes from my phone device being overtaxed.

Considering my phone got really hot during that time, so maybe mine was over exerting itself too.. hmm

You could always crank up the bandwidth and try again, but to answer your question no, I do not think the remote battery had anything to do with it.
Regards,
-d.

How you crank up the bandwidth?

No.

It occurs to me that if your lake was really smooth the return signal could have multipath that could screw up the feed. ie: you're 3 m above the lake surface, the drone is at 30 m, the LOS is 1000 m, but the multipath reflected off lake distance is a bit longer. That signal arrives late and out of phase with the LOS signal. Could cause all sorts of issues.

ummm, It wasnt even that close to the lake when the video started glitching...the lake is roughly 1000m away.. I was only around 700 to 800 when the video starts dancing with me.. ;p

but your theory about the signal waves being messed by the lake water.. mm, I'm no genius in signal wavelengths and all so I can't really if what you say is correct.. .soooo

How you crank up the bandwidth?
Under the camera setting (the little gimbal icon) there is a setting for ten or 20 Mbs; you can adjust.
Regards,
-d.

This was probably caused by external RF interferences. And if this was yesterday, then it may have been due to the solar storm that we're currently experiencing. Space weather and regular weather can affect the quality of RF signals, even things like humidity and air pressure can affect long range signal quality.

I highly recommend just keeping an eye on spaceweather.com and the Kp index, and be careful flying in anything above 5/6.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S