DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote Controller Monitor Hood

ElGuapo

Reactions
Couple of days ago I received the Remote Controller Monitor Hood made by DJI. It feels well constructed made out of very nice material. Folds flat for easy portability and storage. Although I was not flying I mounted it on the remote control with my mobile device. Seems like it is going to help increase screen visibility while flying outdoors under strong sunshine. It mounts on the antennas of the remote control, in a way this is good because the hood does not interfere with the operation of the RC. However, my concern is that since it mounts on the antennas this could cause interference reducing range.
I think it is too soon for me to give this accessory a good review pending testing out on the field. I guess I feel ambivalent about it.

Do you guys have any experience with this hood made by DJI?.

File Jan 18, 12 07 51 PM.jpeg File Jan 18, 12 07 13 PM.jpeg File Jan 18, 12 07 30 PM.jpeg

It looks nice. I would be surprised if DJI themselves produced such a hood that obstructed the line of site transmission of signal.

It would be nice to test this by flying a predetermined path away from the RC without the hood . Then fly the exact same path right afterwards with the hood. Waypoints could be used to plot the course and allow for a 1:1 flight path comparison.

Hoods never work for me. This has huge gaps and doesn't reall enclose the screen. I might help a little, but i know I'd get frustrated with it.

It looks nice. I would be surprised if DJI themselves produced such a hood that obstructed the line of site transmission of signal.

Looks very nice and feels well constructed, it folds nicely for portability.

I hope this is something their (DJI) Engineers tested before releasing it to the public.

It would be nice to test this by flying a predetermined path away from the RC without the hood . Then fly the exact same path right afterwards with the hood. Waypoints could be used to plot the course and allow for a 1:1 flight path comparison.

That is what I plan on doing this weekend, weather permitting. I am going to setup a waypoint mission in Litchi or Autopilot and run one mission without the hood, then run the second mission with the hood on.
I want to like the hood.

I will report back.

Last edited:
Looks very nice and feels well constructed, it folds nicely to portability.

I hope this is something their (DJI) Engineers tested before releasing it to the public.

That is what I plan on doing this weekend, weather permitting. I am going to setup a waypoint mission in Litchi or Autopilot and run one mission without the hood, then run the second mission with the hood on.
I want to like the hood.

I will report back.

Don't these send the waypoints to the drone beforehand ?

Anyway, the hood is made of plastic and other non conductive stuff. No reason whatsoever to alter RF performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Don't these send the waypoints to the drone beforehand ?

You are correct, I will be able to monitor in the RC signal strength before and after.

Anyway, the hood is made of plastic and other non conductive stuff. No reason whatsoever to alter RF performance.

That is what my feeling is, the hood may alter RF performance since it sits on the antennas. Why even sell something like this, especially made by DJI.

My feeling is the hood won't alter RF because it's made of plastic. Plus the fact it comes from DJI's makes it even more... reliable ?

I agree with MarkEt. The hood will NOT affect the antenna and will keep them parallel.

Funny I just received the hood myself and it is very well made. I also thought it was odd that it mounted on the antennas. It's pouring rain here but if it dries up this weekend I'll be sure to try it out and report back my findings.

Can you give us the dimensions of it folded up in its smallest state? I'm trying to see if it'll fit in my Pelican 1200 case. The picture on DJI has it folded flat but the "wings" are outwards so it look like it takes a lot of space. I'm wondering if it folds up inwards.

It's approximately 7 1/4 inches wide x 5.5 inches high. I only used it once and it worked well but it wasn't very sunny so not 100% it made a huge difference. I'll report back the next time I use it in sunny conditions. As others have said, it is well made and fix snuggly over the antennas.

It's approximately 7 1/4 inches wide x 5.5 inches high. I only used it once and it worked well but it wasn't very sunny so not 100% it made a huge difference. I'll report back the next time I use it in sunny conditions. As others have said, it is well made and fix snuggly over the antennas.
Sweet, so it sounds like it does indeed fold in on itself. Looks like it'll fit into my small pelican case.

I've been using a DJI sun hood for while now. When folded it fits easily into the pocket inside the lid of my case. I can't really comment on it's effect on signal strength, since I've only flown out to ~500m being in a heavily forested area.
The front portion of the top of the hood is hinged so that it can be folded back. What's interesting is that it's held in place by magnets whether extended or folded. I found this a bit odd considering the number of cautions about carrying anything magnetic which might interfere with the controller.
That said, I've seen no 'magnetic interference' warnings while using the hood.

File Feb 07, 5 00 05 PM.jpeg This should help..

File Feb 07, 5 00 30 PM.jpeg File Feb 07, 5 00 19 PM.jpeg File Feb 07, 5 00 19 PM.jpeg

Reactions: gundam83
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys