DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rethinking purchase

Amcintyre

Reactions
After much research Ive decided on the Mavic. However after reading information on rules, restrictions & no fly zones I'm rethinking even getting a drone.

I love the idea of all the possibilities, angles, perspectives etc & have tons of ideas but I'm afraid it's all for not. Vague restrictions in Canada doesn't really promote the idea. I totally understand no fly zones, privacy and common sense usage, but if I can't even get in the air to practice, where the heck can I even shoot footage.

We travel internationally quite a lot & get the impression rules are vastly different everywhere.
Do I just get in the air and shoot video & if caught ask for forgiveness?

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

Reactions: oshucomo
You can ask for forgiveness all you want , but it is your responsibility to know the guidelines and laws regarding sUAS flight in the area you plan to fly. Just like driving a car.

It appears you have taken the first step by joining the forum and asking questions. This seems to indicate you are not averse to doing the research and staying up to date.

In the US to date the FAA has favored having "educational moments" with sUAS pilots /operators that were flying in areas that were prohibited. However, in some instances there have also been some stiff penalties levied against offenders as well.

I am unfamiliar with the specific rules and regulations that you need to follow in Canada and google searches may yield the needed information.
I would not put off a purchase of the Mavic Pro based on fears of not conforming to flight regulations. I would personally get involved and learn as much and you can and allow the hobby to take you as far as you would like to go with it.

Reactions: Jim596
You can ask for forgiveness all you want , but it is your responsibility to know the guidelines and laws regarding sUAS flight in the area you plan to fly. Just like driving a car.

It appears you have taken the first step by joining the forum and asking questions. This seems to indicate you are not averse to doing the research and staying up to date.

In the US to date the FAA has favored having "educational moments" with sUAS pilots /operators that were flying in areas that were prohibited. However, in some instances there have also been some stiff penalties levied against offenders as well.

I am unfamiliar with the specific rules and regulations that you need to follow in Canada and google searches may yield the needed information.
I would not put off a purchase of the Mavic Pro based on fears of not conforming to flight regulations. I would personally get involved and learn as much and you can and allow the hobby to take you as far as you would like to go with it.
Thanks for the input. Yes I want to fly legally & responsibly. Looking at the Canadian rules there is a lots of ambiguity and lots of restrictions to even getting off the ground & find it ironic looking at lots of drone video online does not comply with many aspects of the rules.
I debated getting a drone last yr prior to our trip to Iceland after seeing all the great footage but would guess much of it was done without permission.

Reactions: ridoutphotography
Thanks for the input. Yes I want to fly legally & responsibly. Looking at the Canadian rules there is a lots of ambiguity and lots of restrictions to even getting off the ground & find it ironic looking at lots of drone video online does not comply with many aspects of the rules.
I debated getting a drone last yr prior to our trip to Iceland after seeing all the great footage but would guess much of it was done without permission.

Your a pretty young guy to be worrying so much Amcintyre.
sometimes (at your age at least) it pays to be a little..well not ignorant, but lets say 'uninformed' with this type of thing.

you get a very good feelling with drone for when your are flying safely and not hurting anyone.
i would steer clear of youtube in most things drone, escpially pre-purchase as it is a very mixed bag of lollies.

its one thing to bend the rules, but to bend and or break the rules and then post this for all to see is genuinely stupid.
and sad, as it seems to have influenced you poorly.

ive would never reccomend anyone not to buy mavic
but, If your going to fly scared, for whatever reason, then you wont have a good time.
hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Just do your best to fly in a manner that is of legal compliance. As long as you educate yourself and dont flagrantly break the rules as you understand them it "should" keep you out of deep trouble.

As long as you are not blatantly interfering with people , property , wildlife and most importantly using common sense then you will be doing everything you can to avoid a situation in which you get yourself into trouble.

A good rule of thumb is try to fly over sparsely populated areas that are not under any restrictions.

Actually, believe it or not now is the time to own and operate a drone as the amount of drone regulation will only increase over time proportional to the number of incidents that WILL occur that endanger the public or some perceived public threat.

Rules and Regulations will only increase much to the chagrin of drone enthusiasts. Largely based on flagrant disregard for safety and accidents.

If you look back in time you will notice that anything that people enjoy is made something you pay for or outlawed.

Well in trying to stay within the regulations for Canadian Drone operators i am looking for a place where I can buy "personal liability insurance" to the tune of $100,000.00. So far all I have found is brokers who offer commercial insurance but will NOT cover you if you use it for personal/recreational use. Transport Canada requires this and you must be in possession of the policy at all times when flying as well as many other stringent regulations. Does anybody know where you can get "personal liability" insurance for drones/UAV's? As well another regulation they have is you are NOT permitted to fly in "controlled airspace" without an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate). So far with what I have seen pretty much all airspace is controlled to some extent. Can seem to find any airspace you can fly in legally. So Bummed. Has anyone tried to fly responsibly and got into hot water with transport canada or the local police?

Well in trying to stay within the regulations for Canadian Drone operators i am looking for a place where I can buy "personal liability insurance" to the tune of $100,000.00. So far all I have found is brokers who offer commercial insurance but will NOT cover you if you use it for personal/recreational use. Transport Canada requires this and you must be in possession of the policy at all times when flying as well as many other stringent regulations. Does anybody know where you can get "personal liability" insurance for drones/UAV's? As well another regulation they have is you are NOT permitted to fly in "controlled airspace" without an SFOC (Special Flight Operations Certificate). So far with what I have seen pretty much all airspace is controlled to some extent. Can seem to find any airspace you can fly in legally. So Bummed. Has anyone tried to fly responsibly and got into hot water with transport canada or the local police?
It sounds like you are referring to the rules for commercial use. There are some guidelines on transport Canada's website for recreational use. They are very vague, but as others have said if you fly safely and stay out of no fly zones then you should be good.
I use an app called Hover to research airspace classifications

Reactions: Jammcg
You also can look into Verifly. It is an app, that is liability insurance per a length of time window, for drones.

Reactions: Jammcg
Be sure to check all of your local and state laws about where you fly. Here in Minnesota I found out today that state parks, park reserves, county parks and city parks are pretty much all off limits to drones. That cuts out about 90% of the places I wanted to fly and shoot videos. I am in the process of trying to return my drone and get my money back if possible because with Minnesota laws it just became a big paperweight.

Pretty soon the manufacturers of drones are going to go out of business as owning a drone these days (at least in Canada) is longer longer fun but a HUGE liability. As of the middle of March in Canada it is pretty much illegal to fly anywhere except sanctioned club fields or the high arctic.

UPDATE......
Well sadly I think the decision has been made for me. Transport Canada just release new laws/restrictions on drone usage in Canada.
It is pretty rare to be able to fly anywhere without breaking the new rules.
It's really a shame.

Reactions: Soundtekk
UPDATE......
Well sadly I think the decision has been made for me. Transport Canada just release new laws/restrictions on drone usage in Canada.
It is pretty rare to be able to fly anywhere without breaking the new rules.
It's really a shame.[/QUO

I to was thinking if the same thing but decide to join the local RC flying club. There fields are exempt from the rules but have there own rules. But at least you can fly and have fun. Not worry if the cops are going to arrest you or not.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji