Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return To Home Function Did Not Work After RC Signal Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadMavicControllerOwner

Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I am writing this while fighting back tears. The date is 4/3/2017. I purchased my drone directly from the DJI site a week ago, got the drone 2 days ago. The mavic is an amazing piece of technology, was very satisfied. I flew it probably 5 or 6 times. The flight that matters, is obviously the last. I live in Tahoe, specifically Kings Beach. I was at the lake tahoe beach and was flying my drone. i decided to go over the little city of kings beach. i was only 663.7 meters away, had only a flight time of 3 minutes and 30 seconds and had full signal on my RC controller and was connected to 16 satelites when all the sudden i started losing RC signal. This is kinda normal being i live in tahoe and there are alot of trees around but i wasnt very far and had already flown it alot farther the day before. as soon as i lost visual it prompted me as usual to RTH, which i complied. I zig zagged to that location where i lost signal so it should have only took about 1- 2 minutes to return but no such luck. Waited probably around 5 with my heart racing, then around 7 minutes i freaked out and got in my car, with the remote out the window i flew to the destination that i had last seen on my video feed. never regained RC signal. spent hours searching for my drone until it was too dark and i was using my cellphone flashlight. then woke up early the next morning, asked all the neighbors around the last known location if they say a flying machine fall from the sky but no luck. one of the residents even loaned me a 50mm set of binoculars. from 7 am to 11:30 am me and my girlfriend searched for it. looked at the last known location for hours, then spent 2 hours walking from the last known location to the home point to see if maybe it crashed into a tree which is doubtful because i have the RTH setting at 120 meters. and trees around here dont reach past 100-120 feet. well below my height. no luck. Not looking for sympathy. just thought id get my story out there for anyone else so they can beware. and maybe get some advice on how to find it. I have the DJI Care Package but you know if you dont have the drone, you arent getting a new one.

Thanks for reading Everyone,
Sincerely,
The Sad Owner of a mavic Controller

UPDATE> Mavic was found !

Flight log here:

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Last edited:
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

I concur with the last post. Post that log and watch how fast these guys can help find the cause and possible location for the mavic. Many have been found.

Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Is there a difference between the flight log i have a link to at the bottom of my post and the one you are asking me to do ?

Is there a difference between the flight log i have a link to at the bottom of my post and the one you are asking me to do ?
Yes. We cannot download the entire flight log from Airdata.

also im reading from the other DJI forum that a ham radio can take out my signal? right under the point where i lost signal was a huge antenna attached to a tree. the line was cut so the antenna wasnt being used, but could it still affect my drone ?

sorry for your loss, i flew twice today and for the first time ever in wide open area, i lost RC and video feed. First time at 1.9 kilos out and second time at 1.4 kilos out in a different direction.

When i lost signal, i was showing 4 bars on both RC and Video.and 18 satelittes locked.

lucky for me the drone functioned perfectly, as soon as i got the disconnect and black screen i just literally did nothing, 3 secs later both times. it gave me the RTH warning, RC showed coming home, and it did perfectly. It reconnected both times withing 30 secs of turning round and coming home.

It is the first time i have ever had the video feed loss at exactly the same time as the RC loss.

The only other time this has happened i lost RC at 2.5 kilos but still had video feed and control of the drone.

This time i had neither. Lucky for me as i say it all worked as it should.

Post your logs here as these guys on here have and will continue to work miracles and give you some real idea of what happened.

hope that you are able to get it all sorted and back on track.

Sorry to hear.... It's stories like these that make me dread putting the Mavic in the air but at the same time... I bought it to record family trips and family events and well it's a risk we all take. Technology isn't perfect as much as we wish it was. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to lose it especially of it wasn't user error.

Mike

also im reading from the other DJI forum that a ham radio can take out my signal? right under the point where i lost signal was a huge antenna attached to a tree. the line was cut so the antenna wasnt being used, but could it still affect my drone ?

Mechanically yes, signal-wise no.

Before you took off did you audibly hear the return home position has been set please check it on the map and did you check it on the map and was it correct?

That log just ends, no warnings or anything, just odd.

Also that's a very built up area to be flying over and is certainly not the kind of place anyone should be but their does not look to be anything in the path from looking on my phone heigh enough to cause an issue but not looked fully.

I'd be looking at the last point of contact, possible incorrect RTH settings set to land ?

Really it needs to go into google earth and have a look from there.

That log just ends, no warnings or anything, just odd.

Also that's a very built up area to be flying over and is certainly not the kind of place anyone should be but their does not look to be anything in the path from looking on my phone heigh enough to cause an issue but not looked fully.

I'd be looking at the last point of contact, possible incorrect RTH settings set to land ?

Really it needs to go into google earth and have a look from there.

i definitely had it set to return to home for the RTH settings incase of a loss of signal. spent all together 5-6 hours looking around last point of contact.

Reactions: erickx
Maybe somebody got to it before you did ,did you have your name and phone number on it or in the battery compartment?

no only had it for 2 days. not even full 2 days. thats my theory as well unless it had some issue on the RTH and crash landed

Reactions: erickx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143