DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie mistake...hope I didn't ruin my gimbal.

debrent

Reactions
I forgot to remove the gimbal guard before my flight a little while ago. I got a warning about the gimbal motor being overloaded and immediately brought the drone down from about 100ft up and shut it down.
I removed the guard a did a second flight and everything seems ok but I hope I didn't permanently damage the motor in anyway. They seem rather delicate...
Don

It's probably okay, but I'm surprised you didn't notice the gimbal overload message that must've popped up on your screen..

You should be fine. Brushless motors are tougher than you think.

Reactions: rawkitt
It's probably okay, but I'm surprised you didn't notice the gimbal overload message that must've popped up on your screen..

I did. I had just taken off and hovered for a minute. Then I ascended straight up to 100ft and that's when the message popped up. I came straight back down and landed. The whole flight was only around 3 minutes.

Reactions: Filmscum
I did. I had just taken off and hovered for a minute. Then I ascended straight up to 100ft and that's when the message popped up. I came straight back down and landed. The whole flight was only around 3 minutes.
Don't sweat it. If you'd done damage you'd know it by now.

They released an update a few firmware versions back to reduce stress on the gimbal so im sure you will be just fine .....

Clip a 'remove before flight' tag onto the gimbal clamp. I have one coming to do just that as I am about 50/50 for removing the clamp before power up but get the warning right away as the systems check out but always go ARGH !

Reactions: ntouched
With my first DJI drone I forget to remove the gimbal the first half-dozen times. Whether it was just checking something like a setting on the controller/app or using the simulator.

It didn't damage anything. My buddy who also got a Mavic and is new to drones has also forgotten to remove his gimbal clamp several times and his is working just fine...

What helps alleviates this is having a "Pre-Flight" checklist. I have one and use it for all my drones. I always take the time to go through it before each and every flight.

The Mavic gimbal will go into sleep or protection mode if it encounters an obstruction on startup, and it will go limp until a reboot.

I've made the same mistake >10 times without issue, though never taken off as warning pops up as gimbal tries to do its little pre-flight dance . Must get one of those remove before flight tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I never flown with it on, but started it up a couple of times w/o taking it off.. I did what others suggested.. Taped a ribbon to the back of the gimble clamp.. mine is long enough to wrap around the Mavic itself, so it holds the props in place when folded up.. you can't miss it..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ