DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH after a controlled landing and then loss of signal!

TheHunter

Reactions
I recently watched a video on YT in which the pilot claimed that after nearly running out of battery he did a controlled landing in a recognizable location, then got in his car to go and recover the Mavic but because while he was driving to the location the drone lost contact with the controller, the Mavic automatically took off and started towards the last known RTH position!! Surly this can't be true? Anyone shed any light on this?

Reactions: n7011n
I think 'm aware of the video you are referring to. This is the guy who lost his drone on the cliffs of Dover. Really feel sorry for the guy, as he has been a very helpful person contributing on you tube; and has been very brave to accept and share his mistakes/ findings in the hope that other people learn.

The bit that this guy did wrong was that he did not "shut down the drone"... he just landed manually. Had he landed using "swipe to land", the drone would have landed, shut down and be there.

I'm no expert, but thats what I figured from the video.

Reactions: Rodman
He wouldn't be able to shut it down manually as signal was lost once near the ground.
Autoland would have saved the day.
If planning to do this you could change the lost signal behaviour beforehand.

Reactions: Rodman
OK the bit I don't understand is the difference between "Swipe to land" and "Holding the stick down for 2-3 secs" I have done both and they seem to leave the drone in the same props stopped state. Are we saying that, one way the aircraft can takeoff again and the other not?

The person with the Mavic that took of by itself, is Wellsi on here. Maybe contact him to find out what really happened. He might be able to explain it better of how it happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N