DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH altitude

Andart

Reactions
My first ever flight but I've watched hundreds of videos.
So being over cautious I set my RTH to 50 meters and started my first flight , wanted to see what would happen so hit the RTH , drone started to gain height but when it reached 30 meters which I know is beginner mode limit it stopped gaining and RTH at 30 meters .
I thought it would override beginner mode .
This could be a problem if there was a very high tree .
I'm pleased I watched and read so much because on the landing it was decending on to thr edge of a bench , I'm sure bottom sensors would of stopped it but remembering what I'd read I just pressed right hand stick up and then drone was under my control .
All in all my first 7 min flight was good , it was sad that it started to rain and also get dark . Think I'll stay in beginner mode a while I found it confusing trying to work out direction drone was facing but I'm sure it will all come together from Mr newbie

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

I thought it would override beginner mode
When operating in beginner mode, the Mavic cannot fly more than 30 meters in any direction from the take off point. That's as designed.

Reactions: jointeffort
I understand that Sir but since RTH is a safety feature I just wondered.
If I'm in beginner mode and there are tall trees and I loose signal or panic the drone can never return home .
That is why I thought it might override it as a safety feature .
Also it's not documented that a RTH setting above 30 meters will be ignored if in beginner mode .

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
it's not documented that a RTH setting above 30 meters will be ignored if in beginner mode
Nope. There are many things missing from the documentation. It is documented in DJI GO though.

IMG_2671.PNG

Sorry misinger I understand that and read it but I don't beleive it's to far fetched to assume a safety feature that is piloted by the on board chips wouldn't override a setting that restricted a beginner for there own flying caperbilities .
This is no big problem just something I noticed . Maybe when setting the RTH height and choosing above 30 meters while in beginner mode it would flash a warning that 30 meters can't be overridden

Guys good reading this as I have a Mavic on order and have been watching all the issues that are causing people to loose their Mavics, so gr8 to know 30m in beginners mode.

Question: so many people seem to loose their Mavics to the sea/Lake/Cliifs because they use the RTH when too late, I was wondering if you are caught for battery power levels, are you better manually flying the drone back in a straight line at whatever alltitiude it is at ( if not obstructions) rather than TRH and wasting power with the drone going to the RTH alltitude before returning?

RTH bad settings seems a very common mistake, so again its good to know in beginners mode despite setting 50m it wont exceed 30!!

I think the idea is if your in beginner mode and you cant fly more then 98 foot away or up. Then you should not be standing next to a tree that's 98ft tall. 98ft is not very far and a beginner should not be in a closed area where there are large obstacles so close to you.

Just to put this in perspective. On a baseball diamond/field, home plate to first base is 90ft (all bases are 90 feet apart if you go around in order and not cut across). If your flying your mavic with a 98ft tall tree between bases you deserve to learn a lesson.

More facts: Distance from say 1st to 3rd base is 127feet or 38 meters, so that's well out of beginner mode capabilities even if you can throw a ball alot further.

is obsticle avoidence supposed to be turned off in beginner mode? I thought I had it turned on and then I saw a message about obsticle avoidnence being disabled durring my tets RTH.

Guys in Beginners mode can someone please tell me what would happen hitting RTH in these two scenarios?

Also does the mavic need to be above you and the controller and is it looking for trouble for you to be above where you have flown the Mavic down to it?

Thanks for any help in advance of receiving my drone;)

John

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    677.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image2 (1).JPG
    image2 (1).JPG
    682.5 KB · Views: 73
in Beginners mode can someone please tell me what would happen hitting RTH in these two scenarios?
1) The Mavic will ascend to the RTH altitude (or to 30 meters if the RTH altitude is above 30 meters) and return home. If already above the RTH altitude, it'll return home at the current altitude.
2) The Mavic will ascend to the take off point (0 meters) and then up to the RTH altitude (or to 30 meters above the takeoff point if the RTH altitude is above 30 meters) before returning home.

does the mavic need to be above you and the controller and is it looking for trouble for you to be above where you have flown the Mavic down to it?
No. You should always have a direct line of sight between the Mavic and remote controller though.

1) The Mavic will ascend to the RTH altitude (or to 30 meters if the RTH altitude is above 30 meters) and return home. If already above the RTH altitude, it'll return home at the current altitude.
2) The Mavic will ascend to the take off point (0 meters) and then up to the RTH altitude (or to 30 meters above the takeoff point if the RTH altitude is above 30 meters) before returning home.

No. You should always have a direct line of sight between the Mavic and remote controller though.

Thanks very much for this.

In scenario 1 where the mavic is at the top of the 20m hill, will the mavic ascend to 30 calculated from the top of the hill or 30m fcalculated from the take off point?

And in relation to the question of the controller above the mavic I was wondering if you are at the top of the hill but the mavic is at the bottom as in scenario 2 the range the antennae are picking up is above? Or is there a similar coverage radius below.

Thanks for answers as understanding RTH setting and allowing for flying with the wind and against the wind seems to cause unfortunate accidents

The RTH height is based off the take off point, so it will be at 10m above the hill when it turns towards you and starts to fly back

Assuming you are within a reasonable amount of distance and have line of sight the mavic and controller will have a signal regardless of orientation. Once you get further away (more than maybe 200m or so) then you should have the antennas on the controller roughly 90degrees to the drone for best signal. This is why the antennas have a few positions they "snap" to

1. Parallel with the ground - This is used if the drone is right above you or very close to you and high
2. Perpendicular to the ground - Most useful if the drone is far away and not that high
3. Antennas at 45 degree or so angle from controller - This is the most common and useful if you are holding your controller at a slight angle (how it naturally feels comfortable) and are pointing 90 degrees to the drone

Also, as stated in the manual you should always have your antennas like I I never crossed like X or never unfolded like = as these will lead to poor signal regardless of distance

Last edited:
Reactions: Matisse13
In scenario 1 where the mavic is at the top of the 20m hill, will the mavic ascend to 30 calculated from the top of the hill or 30m fcalculated from the take off point?
It'll ascend to 30 meters or the RTH altitude above the takeoff point.

I was wondering if you are at the top of the hill but the mavic is at the bottom as in scenario 2 the range the antennae are picking up is above? Or is there a similar coverage radius below.
All should be find as long as you're pointing the remote controller antennas like this:

Reactions: Matisse13
Just to clarify: never point the tips of pole antennae toward the target, as that is the weakest direction. Radio signals radiate out strongest in all directions perpendicular from a pole antenna.
Thanks! Reworded it, as that was what I meant but not what I wrote haha

You never want the tips of the antennas pointed at the drone, as you stated :] (unless it is short distance, as it won't matter much then)

End Results Thanks

Attachments

• image2-(1).jpg
    image2-(1).jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image1-(1).jpg
    image1-(1).jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 21
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics