DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH and map malfunction resulting in crash

How many people are having issues with Fixed wing and sport mode errors?

• yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Marine0302G2/8

Reactions
Set RTH at beginning of flight. Got a low battery warning return to home. I immediately switched to sport mode and flew the must direct route via the blue line on the map going to the home location. The Mavic past the home about 200 yards to the home point right flank. Came as close as 800 feet to home point but I could not tell its location because it should have flown right over my head but it did not. I stayed on the forward yoke to make sure I would not land in water. I feel like the Mavic for some reason tried to go to my home point that I normally fly from instead of the RTH that was set for this flight. I have the DJI care refresh agreement but I definitely want it replaced with a new Mavic. My poor baby is really busted up. My flight log shows that my home point is set and that the blue guide line on the map took the Mavic to the wrong place. Not sure how to download flight log to this thread.

Attachments

• 20170427_183751.jpg
    20170427_183751.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
  • 20170427_183811.jpg
    20170427_183811.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 76
  • 20170427_183833.jpg
    20170427_183833.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 73
It hurts to watch this, and I'm sure you feel the same way! Sorry, man. Nobody likes it when this happens!

Is there a way to upload my flight log so that forum members can review it to see what went wrong? In the video when I say it is about 800 ft away, I am the small dot standing at the right of the frame by the trees. If the line that shows direct return home route would have been accurate I would have seen the Mavic and landed it manually. That being said it still should have returned home at the 10% battery mark. I used the DJI app "find my Drone" to locate it. My Samsung note 5 started acting really weird and said I had no network and would not let me make calls. Definitely some type of issue between my phone and the controller and Mavic communication. Any insight you can provide is much appreciated.

I keep trying the above url and I can not get it to work
Seems to not be the correct files, it should be named something like: DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-12_[12-58-52]

Set RTH at beginning of flight. Got a low battery warning return to home. I immediately switched to sport mode and flew the must direct route via the blue line on the map going to the home location. The Mavic past the home about 200 yards to the home point right flank. Came as close as 800 feet to home point but I could not tell its location because it should have flown right over my head but it did not. I stayed on the forward yoke to make sure I would not land in water. I feel like the Mavic for some reason tried to go to my home point that I normally fly from instead of the RTH that was set for this flight. I have the DJI care refresh agreement but I definitely want it replaced with a new Mavic. My poor baby is really busted up. My flight log shows that my home point is set and that the blue guide line on the map took the Mavic to the wrong place. Not sure how to download flight log to this thread.

Just to clarify, you did not initiate RTH, but flew it manually home in sports mode? In that case you were in full control and the Mavic just followed your stick input...

Just to clarify, you did not initiate RTH, but flew it manually home in sports mode? In that case you were in full control and the Mavic just followed your stick input...
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com I did switch to sport mode to return manually following the most direct route but the route displayed on the map was in correct

I got to upload to the link. Now how do I get here?
Copy and paste the web address from the top of the browser window. That way we can look at the same thing.

Please be ready for some Monday morning quarterbacking. That happens for almost every crash, and try to take in in a constructive way.

Once again, sorry you had to deal with this situation and I hope that your Mavic is repaired without spending too much of your hard earned $$$!!

All the best.

Copy and paste the web address from the top of the browser window. That way we can look at the same thing.

Please be ready for some Monday morning quarterbacking. That happens for almost every crash, and try to take in in a constructive way.

Once again, sorry you had to deal with this situation and I hope that your Mavic is repaired without spending too much of your hard earned $$$!!

All the best.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I can't really comment on the accuracy of the map, but if you did not initiate RTH, you can't expect the Mavic to come home...

What I find odd is that the Mavic continued full speed forward while auto landing, I believe normally it should stop moving forward and just land, but this might be because of being in sportsmode.

Not much help now, but it seems if you had paid attention to the screen, you should have been able to land it quite safely.
Or even just let go of the sticks as soon as the drone was over land.

In any case it really sucks to crash like that, hope you can get it fixed and get back in the air.

All the best.
Thanks for taking a look at it. at 16m 14.2s into flight, the Mavic is 278.1 ft away from the rth and passes the rth starts getting further away again so I still think it is over the water. Important Note: the straight heading that the Mavic took to at the 1st low battery warning was showing on my phone screen as coming straight line to the rth / take off spot. That is why I was looking directly overhead and straight in front of me instead of off to the side.

I can't really comment on the accuracy of the map, but if you did not initiate RTH, you can't expect the Mavic to come home...

What I find odd is that the Mavic continued full speed forward while auto landing, I believe normally it should stop moving forward and just land, but this might be because of being in sportsmode.

Not much help now, but it seems if you had paid attention to the screen, you should have been able to land it quite safely.
Or even just let go of the sticks as soon as the drone was over land.

In any case it really sucks to crash like that, hope you can get it fixed and get back in the air.
I have the care refresh service agreement so hopefully, I will get a brand new, not new like, replacement.

Thanks for taking a look at it. at 16m 14.2s into flight, the Mavic is 278.1 ft away from the rth and passes the rth starts getting further away again so I still think it is over the water. Important Note: the straight heading that the Mavic took to at the 1st low battery warning was showing on my phone screen as coming straight line to the rth / take off spot. That is why I was looking directly overhead and straight in front of me instead of off to the side.
My point was that if you had been looking at the video feed on your phone, you would have seen that you were over land and could have landed safely.

At 12m 34s got a "low power returning home" That was the Mavic software saying hey I'm taking you home right now. So Mavic set its course. then I switched to sport mode and continued on the exact same heading that was established by mavic, with zero deviation. The Mavic should have flown right back to me. I was looking at the distance thinking it had not made land. Because the closest it ever got to the rth was roughly 278ft

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots