DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH didn't worked and Mavic is lost

Not sure exactly what you mean but basically no, the Mavic will never set a new Home Point unless you tell it to. In this case the Home Point was set for the first time at 49s because it never had enough GPS data to set one prior to that.
CheckThumbswayup

It's probably sitting on top of the one the buildings he was flying over. That's my guess... or at least hope. I would start by trying to get on top of the tallest building with a pair of binoculars and search the lower rooftops around. Good luck. If you find it, don't fly between tall buildings anymore.

So flying between buildings is allowed in some countries and cities
Not where he was. It's sad to see these kind of things so close of my home.
By the law, where he was, the only place he could legally fly without registering his flight with the authorities, was inside his house. :-(

For the op.
Irresponsabilidade total hein amigo Cesar.
Boa sorte e se houver uma próxima vez, quando quiser voar assim, vá pelo menos na Cantareira que não dá nem 30 minutos de onde você está.

Not where he was. It's sad to see these kind of things so close of my home.
By the law, where he was, the only place he could legally fly without registering his flight with the authorities, was inside his house. :-(

For the op.
Irresponsabilidade total hein amigo Cesar.
Boa sorte e se houver uma próxima vez, quando quiser voar assim, vá pelo menos na Cantareira que não dá nem 30 minutos de onde você está.

Edu2ev,
I totally agree with you about the irresponsibility of such flight, but he doesn´t live in Brazil and the logs showed he was in Mexico. Considering that fact, I think that Cantareira would be too far away from him (lol).

Reactions: DroneForceOne
I suspect the antennas at the controller were not correctly aligned resulting in signal loss.
The "5 sats" at the beginning are not exactly encouraging as a fix. Indeed ...

Home point was recorded after take-off ...

Should have at least come back to there ... but I suspect it hit something... wonder why?

upload_2017-4-24_13-0-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-24_13-0-7.png
    upload_2017-4-24_13-0-7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 119
Edu2ev,
I totally agree with you about the irresponsibility of such flight, but he doesn´t live in Brazil and the logs showed he was in Mexico. Considering that fact, I think that Cantareira would be too far away from him (lol).

Ouch, my mistake... lol
Changing my destination message to cyrocasabona.
I thought the video posted before was from the same person.
Indeed, Cantareira is a little too far from him. (lol)

Edu2ev,

I cannot agree more with that statement, it was an irresponsible decision to start the flight under such poor conditions, I'm the only one to be blamed for the loss. I started to flight based on my previous flights on that zone with a P3P (no major issues, just a loss in flight that lasted 30 seconds), I think it was an overconfidence and bad judgment which resulted in this catastrophe.

However, I still not sure why the drone never came back to the home point? even when it was at 30M above me...

Thank you to all of you who have spent time checking my logs. I hope that these stories (mine and from others) would be helpful to everyone in order to avoid our mistakes and an expensive lesson.

"Patience is a vertue" not sure why people insist on not waiting for gps to be rocking with a grip of sats !!! Suggest this person goes back to square one before flying again, could have done damage to a host of things and or people! Ignorance is no excuse in any country !

Is it me, or are the incessant "you were irresponsible" drone police posts just adding NOTHING to the conversation? PM the guy. Start your own thread. But for Crissakes, why do you feel you have to publicly shame and lecture the guy?

To any lurkers who may be reading this and need some help:

1) Post your txt/DAT/video
2) Pray that @BudWalker, @msinger, @Cyberpower678, or @AlanTheBeast get to your info first
3) Put on your flame suit
4) Hunker down and accept the fact that there are a ton of drone police who relish the opportunity to rub your nose in any errors you may have made (legitimate or not).

These needless chest-thumping, I-know-better-than-you posts have a chilling effect on the forums. We all benefit from the misfortune of others - but only when they're brave enough to post what happened. That is much less likely to occur if they fear immediate condescension.

Not sure exactly what you mean but basically no, the Mavic will never set a new Home Point unless you tell it to. In this case the Home Point was set for the first time at 49s because it never had enough GPS data to set one prior to that.
So, if you take off without proper SAT count, when the Mavic gets the lock it sets the HP at that time while in flight?

Reactions: JLane
One rule that I follow is to wait for all those little gems in orbit to chime in and someone tells me the home point has been updated,please check it on the map. Then up 20 feet, and hear the same voice again saying the same thing. Then,off it goes.(and comes back) Got all that from reading the manual. Hope he finds it !

Is it me, or are the incessant "you were irresponsible" drone police posts just adding NOTHING to the conversation? PM the guy. Start your own thread. But for Crissakes, why do you feel you have to publicly shame and lecture the guy?

To any lurkers who may be reading this and need some help:

1) Post your txt/DAT/video
2) Pray that @BudWalker, @msinger, @Cyberpower678, or @AlanTheBeast get to your info first
3) Put on your flame suit
4) Hunker down and accept the fact that there are a ton of drone police who relish the opportunity to rub your nose in any errors you may have made (legitimate or not).

These needless chest-thumping, I-know-better-than-you posts have a chilling effect on the forums. We all benefit from the misfortune of others - but only when they're brave enough to post what happened. That is much less likely to occur if they fear immediate condescension.

I disagree with what you have said. In many cases they are new to drones, immediately want to blame the drone, have never properly read the manual, and want to instantly fly like a pro.

I disagree with what you have said. In many cases they are new to drones, immediately want to blame the drone, have never properly read the manual, and want to instantly fly like a pro.

I'm not saying that the mistakes that are made aren't deserving of criticism. My point is by calling them out publicly (vs. a private message), you're not only shaming them, but you're directly intimidating others who may have valuable experiences that they'll choose not to share for fear of public rebuke.

"A man has got know his limitations" - Cool Hand Luke.
1. GPS Health - pause (don't rush) and be sure prior to take off with 10+ GPS, ascend to 30' and confirm RTH - check map.
2. Starts and ends with #1 (coupled with pre-flight checklist).
Get a little 'overconfident' and you'll overlook the small details...

Reactions: Rbruz
So, if I'm understanding it correctly, when MP goes beyond 400' and lose GPS/Satellite and after a few moment and regaining both signals it will set a 2nd HP?
Expert pilots please chime in.
"Not sure exactly what you mean but basically no, the Mavic will never set a new Home Point unless you tell it to. In this case the Home Point was set for the first time at 49s because it never had enough GPS data to set one prior to that."

Actually, I really should clarify what I said... The Mavic won't set itself a new Home Point while in flight, but if you land and stop the props then take off again, it does set a new Home Point.

Last edited:
So to ask the OP where exactly was the Mavic when it took off. I mean we know the co-ordinates. But that shows it is right on the edge of the crosswalk and a bit into the street. Where were you standing in this intersection, or on the sidewalk, were you close to the building? You may have mentioned it, but did you fly straight up? Did you move in any direction other than up? Was there any wind? What direction?

Now I trust the GPS, to some extent, on open area. But the GPS signal has reflections off of buildings. So the co-ordinates might be there, but if the signal is bounced or blocked from a building, it may actually be somewhere close, and this might be because the GPS signal was good above the building, but as it came lower, after the signal lost, the GPS signal is reflected off the buildings and again, the Mavic wants to correct and will fly to that point, even if the building is there.

Do you have the video that was cached on the phone you were using? What was the last thing that you saw?
If there was wind, that building to the west of the GPS point has that 45 deg corner on it, and that would concentrate more wind away from the building, possibly pushing it to the east.

Did you by chance buy the Mavic in that Mac Store on that same corner?

I downloaded CsvViewer and the Op's data log file. I am by no means an expert, but the path of the T ( Tablet/RC ) ends up being inside of the building. And looking at the Distance and speed chart, at the end of it it shows that the distance between the RC and aircraft is around 7 M always, yet the RC moves farther to the north and away from the Aircraft while the aircraft, at least according to the log stays above the intersection. But if the distance always remained the same, the aircraft should of been moving the same general direction of the RC controller. Which ends up being right above the MAC store that the controller seemed to of gone into, at least on the GPS log.

So to the OP, did you actually move with the controller that far to the north from the original home point?

I am wondering if when it triggered Return to home it went to the Controller location, not the original home point? Did you ever see that message pop up on the screen?

What is the programmed action for return to home on signal loss if the controller changed locations, and also for a commanded RTH from controller in the event that it actually got the command for RTH even though the signal may have been flakey.

Last edited:
"A man has got know his limitations" - Cool Hand Luke.
1. GPS Health - pause (don't rush) and be sure prior to take off with 10+ GPS, ascend to 30' and confirm RTH - check map.
2. Starts and ends with #1 (coupled with pre-flight checklist).
Get a little 'overconfident' and you'll overlook the small details...
I think that was "Dirty Harry", right?
"A good man knows his limitations"?
Cool Hand Luke was; "What we have here is a failure to COMMUNICATE".

Great films. Great quotes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura