DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH failure

Yas786

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I've had my mavic a few days and the first couple of flights I was flying it in my backyard. I've got a pretty large backyard but I kept it in beginner mode as I'm new to all this drone business.

Anyhow in my backyard RTH works well as in it will land pretty much where I take off from.

So today I thought I'd take a drive up to some very large open fields near where I live.

Anyhow started the mavic up, made sure I had plenty of gps signal and satellites. So I took off using the button in the app and also made sure I ticked the precise location button. Took my mavic up to about 80 metres and about 100 or so metres, so not very far as I still could see it ie line of sight.

So I used the RTH button on the controller and got worried when the drone started landing quite a distance away. Luckily it wasn't that far away so I let it land and then ran over to grab it.

Maybe I'm confused here but I thought with RTH the drone was meant to come back to where it took off and land?? But on this occasion it didn't do that.

So not sure what I did wrong or is it meant to work that way??

Like I said I'm new to drones so if anyone can explain the reason why it did that and how do I get it to land back where it took off from??

Btw I wasn't in beginner mode, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I've had my mavic a few days and the first couple of flights I was flying it in my backyard. I've got a pretty large backyard but I kept it in beginner mode as I'm new to all this drone business.

Anyhow in my backyard RTH works well as in it will land pretty much where I take off from.

So today I thought I'd take a drive up to some very large open fields near where I live.

Anyhow started the mavic up, made sure I had plenty of gps signal and satellites. So I took off using the button in the app and also made sure I ticked the precise location button. Took my mavic up to about 80 metres and about 100 or so metres, so not very far as I still could see it ie line of sight.

So I used the RTH button on the controller and got worried when the drone started landing quite a distance away. Luckily it wasn't that far away so I let it land and then ran over to grab it.

Maybe I'm confused here but I thought with RTH the drone was meant to come back to where it took off and land?? But on this occasion it didn't do that.

So not sure what I did wrong or is it meant to work that way??

Like I said I'm new to drones so if anyone can explain the reason why it did that and how do I get it to land back where it took off from??

Btw I wasn't in beginner mode, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks.

I don't know why it would have done that, what I do when I get nervous is go to "map view", point the Mavic toward myself "the H", and come home, another option is to hit RTH, and the Mavic will immediately point to its takeoff point, then hit the pause button to cancel RTH and just hold right stick and watch it getting closer on the screen, soon you will be able to see it and manually land it. You may have to make some small corrections when it's coming back due to any wind, just keep the arrow pointed to the takeoff point on the map view, way faster than RTH.

Reactions: scooot

Thanks.

Did you wait for the RC to say "Home point recorded"? If not, that may be a good suspect

If you select the "precisely record location" option you have to rise to about 30 ft, before you do anything else, for it to work. I never use that option, just make sure it says takeoff position recorded.

Thanks guys.

Vilco no I didn't see or hear any message saying home point recorded. So you may be correct there that could have caused the issue.

I'll check again when I take it out, the weather isn't too great at the moment v

Thanks guys.

Vilco no I didn't see or hear any message saying home point recorded. So you may be correct there that could have caused the issue.

I'll check again when I take it out, the weather isn't too great at the moment v

Be sure to hear that confirmation and then you're ok. As Thastinger pointed out, if you check the "precisely record location" checkbox you'll have to wait longer since it goes up 30' instead of just 4'; just wait for it :)

Even when i hear it tell me its recorded, i sometimes just make sure using the settings and hit the home point again.

Reactions: scooot
Even when i hear it tell me its recorded, i sometimes just make sure using the settings and hit the home point again.

Good point.[emoji106]
I have done that a couple of times mainly just to test the function of it making the controller the home point.But it wouldn't do any harm setting the home point manually in app as a double check. I do always check the map to see if the home point location is showing.

Reactions: Gary cato
Thanks guys for the help.

How do I set the home point manually??
urghh i just did this and wish i had taken a screen shot, On the DJI go 4 App click the three dots top right which is the settings should be there on main page. Shows home point or a pic of a person for return to controller, just tap home point and it will give you the home point recorded message

have a quick scout on you tube if you don,t find it there are some very good basic tutorials and do not forget to download the manual and read through it.

Reactions: lostinspace
urghh i just did this and wish i had taken a screen shot, On the DJI go 4 App click the three dots top right which is the settings should be there on main page. Shows home point or a pic of a person for return to controller, just tap home point and it will give you the home point recorded message
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Hi Gary,
Just picked up on what you mean.I just took that screenshot from the internet.It must be from another Dji drone not Mavic.Hopefully this will not confuse the op.[emoji106]
Yes i guessed as much but i had to go check mine lol wondering if i missed something here lol i guess its a phantom as they i think can be switched to ATTI mode,

Reactions: chervas and scooot
Also, make sure you didn't hit the Land button on the screen. I've done that once. Thought I hit return to home but I actually hit land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost