DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH sometimes spot on, sometimes not

jimmybbq

Reactions
I usually initiate a return to home after a mission and the mavic is hovering around 150'. Sometimes it lands in the same spot it took off from, almost to the inch. Then other times, it wants to miss by 30'. Sometimes I have to stop it so it doesn't land on branches from trees, or on the roof of my house..

I usually pause for a couple seconds on the way up at around 15' and 30' just to give it a chance to record where it came from or something? But it seems to not matter if I do that or not.

any ideas?

If I use the precision take off, it lands extremely accurately. If I don't use that, it's usually within a foot or two. I always let it get at least 15 satellites before I take off.

I usually initiate a return to home after a mission and the mavic is hovering around 150'. Sometimes it lands in the same spot it took off from, almost to the inch. Then other times, it wants to miss by 30'. Sometimes I have to stop it so it doesn't land on branches from trees, or on the roof of my house..

I usually pause for a couple seconds on the way up at around 15' and 30' just to give it a chance to record where it came from or something? But it seems to not matter if I do that or not.

any ideas?
From the User's Manual V1.6 (Pg 15)
Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during ight.
b. Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
c. Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
d. Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
e. Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark.

The following actions are available during landing:
a. Pull throttle down to accelerate landing.
b. Moving the control sticks in any other direction will stop Precision Landing. The Mavic Pro
will descend vertically and Landing Protection will remain active.

Sometimes it lands in the same spot it took off from, almost to the inch. Then other times, it wants to miss by 30'.
Do you have some kind of marker on the ground next to the takeoff point? I found using a marker gives me the best results.

When testing the precision landing feature, my Mavic didn't always start descending directly above the takeoff point. After it descended to the point where the downward sensors could see the ground, it would then start homing in on the takeoff point. Try it out in a location that has more open space around the takeoff point and see if your results are the same.

I usually pause for a couple seconds on the way up at around 15' and 30' just to give it a chance to record where it came from or something?
There's no need to pause, but it's important to ascend to at least 30 feet directly above the takeoff point.

From the User's Manual V1.6 (Pg 15)
Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. Home point is recorded upon take off, and cannot not be refreshed during ight.
b. Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.
c. Home point terrain features remain largely unchanged.
d. Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect the performance.
e. Lighting conditions cannot be too light nor too dark.

The following actions are available during landing:
a. Pull throttle down to accelerate landing.
b. Moving the control sticks in any other direction will stop Precision Landing. The Mavic Pro
will descend vertically and Landing Protection will remain active.

Yup, I follow every one of those guidelines, every take off. Is there something I need to physically do to record the home point?

Do you have some kind of marker on the ground next to the takeoff point? I found using a marker gives me the best results.

When testing the precision landing feature, my Mavic didn't always start descending directly above the takeoff point. After it descended to the point where the downward sensors could see the ground, it would then start homing in on the takeoff point. Try it out in a location that has more open space around the takeoff point and see if your results are the same.

There's no need to pause, but it's important to ascend to at least 30 feet directly above the takeoff point.

It's not a big deal for me. I just cancel auto-land and do it myself. I just found it odd that I take off from the same spot every time in the same manner yet the RTH results are different. I mean sometimes I'm amazed at how close it gets to the take-off point, especially after a 2 mile Litchi mission..

DJI_0020.JPG I use RTH just to bring it back to my backyard (when not in LOS) which you are not suppose to do. Bring it down to about 30 - 40 feet and cancel RTH and land it manually. My backyard deck is 16' by 20' surrounded by giant pines. It is a blast to watch it come down though.---- My house is on right in middle -----

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka