DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Terrain Follow

Rooster_79

Reactions
Will Mavic Pro Terrain Follow on RTH , for example my take off height is 200m above sea and I fly down 100m down a mountain and then do a RTH . If I've set RTH altitude to 30m , what will happen .
Will it
(1) raise to 130m and fly into side of mountain trying to get home or
(2) keep a distance of 30m from mountain fly towards it rise to 230m and land .

It will climb to 230m above sea level, then begin its path home.

The RTH height is in reference from home point, at home point you were 200m above sea level, with rth set for 30 meters AGL = 230meters

Yes, arducopter can do terrain following using ground reference data, or using lidar or sonar. Mavic has some limited terrain following at low height only.

You can test this easily, and see for yourself, so you don't have any surprises.

My front lawn is elevated so here's the question , I take off and hover at 4 ft , I then fly horizontally out over edge of lawn where there is a 10 ft drop to ground level . In theory the Mavic is now 14ft off the ground but still only reads 4ft , that's my concern??????

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

My front lawn is elevated so here's the question , I take off and hover at 4 ft , I then fly horizontally out over edge of lawn where there is a 10 ft drop to ground level . In theory the Mavic is now 14ft off the ground but still only reads 4ft , that's my concern??????

All altitudes are relative to the takeoff point.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The Mavic still thinks it is at the altitude from where you took off so if you flew down 10' it would think it was at a minus (-10') . If you hit RTH it would raise 10' to the takeoff altitude then rise to whatever you set in RTH menu then fly home .

Of course to test this you would have to fly further away from the takeoff point because it probably would not attempt to fly home since it was already so close .

Reactions: Vispy
This is the limited terrain follow the Mavic can do, page 22 of the manual, can go up to follow terrain at low altitude, but wont come down on the down slope side. I haven't tried this mode yet, but plan to, just all crap weather for a while.

Attachments

• terrain follow mode.jpg
    terrain follow mode.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member