DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"

I would agree. The video doesn't even transferred to mine either it stays as a still picture of the initial opening shot or I get a green screen. The processor must be too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I don't think it's the processor speed. My video works well when I use the Wi-Fi connection. Just curious, what's the processor speed of an iPad mini 2?

It seems that the Samsung Tab A is hit or miss as a tablet for Mavic. So, I went with what is considered to be the best android Tablet for the Mavic. The Nvidia Shield K1 for $200.00. It doesn't fit the controller as it's 8.7 inches wide but is comparable to the Apple iPad mini 2, which is considered the best tablet for the Mavic. You can get the Nvidia to fit using an adapter. I liked this one.
DJI Mavic Pro - Tablet Adapter - Long Version
There is also a DYI fix if you don't want to put out the extra dough.

Reactions: jerryflah
It seems that the Samsung Tab A is hit or miss as a tablet for Mavic. So, I went with what is considered to be the best android Tablet for the Mavic. The Nvidia Shield K1 for $200.00. It doesn't fit the controller as it's 8.7 inches wide but is comparable to the Apple iPad mini 2, which is considered the best tablet for the Mavic. You can get the Nvidia to fit using an adapter. I liked this one.
DJI Mavic Pro - Tablet Adapter - Long Version
There is also a DYI fix if you don't want to put out the extra dough.
I bought a used iPad mini 2 on ebay for $150. They can be had for less if you are patient and most sellers offer a 2 yr insurance that covers almost anything for about $20 extra. There seems to be no shortage of iPad mini 2's for sale on ebay. Just throwing this out as another option for the budget conscious. For some of us, after shelling out $1k for (let's be honest) a toy, we need to be a bit thrifty when it comes to accessorizing. And to reinforce what seems to be becoming common knowledge among Mavic owners, the iPad mini 2 has worked flawlessly with the Mavic Pro and controller.

I use my Samsung S2 without any problem on DJI Go 4.

[]I ended up getting a cheap $50 tablet to use as a dedicated device for mine..

After watching your video, I ordered exactly what you recommended because I understood your rationale and decision making process.

Were you able to use the cables sent with the Mavic to connect between the RC and the tablet? If not, can you recommend a source?

I, too, am an old man and appreciate someone who has already been there.

Best regards,

Greg

[]I ended up getting a cheap $50 tablet to use as a dedicated device for mine..

After watching your video, I ordered exactly what you recommended because I understood your rationale and decision making process.

Were you able to use the cables sent with the Mavic to connect between the RC and the tablet? If not, can you recommend a source?

I, too, am an old man and appreciate someone who has already been there.

Best regards,

Greg
No, the cable you need is USB to micro USB and you plug in to the controller underneath. The micro usb end you'll want to be an L shape so it doesn't stick out so far.
https://www.amazon.com/WOVTE-Micro-...inch+90+degree+angle+left+right+USB+micro+USB

It's summer here outdoor temp ~20c, and the first fairly calm day since my Mavic arrived. I've had one short flight in 'Beginner' mode using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 running DJI Go 4 and that checked out OK, but the small screen tested my poor old eyes.
So I got myself a Samsung A 7(2016) 7in tablet and a DJI sun shield (which works fine), but on first connecting then turning on the quad GO 4, after having the 'disconnected'..'battery error' etc fit, came up with a window saying that the device should have DJI Go installed for the Mavic.
Installed Go and everything was terrific, no noticeable video feed lag or freezing, no focus issues, butter smooth flying and gimbal performance, colour me very happy.

It's summer here outdoor temp ~20c, and the first fairly calm day since my Mavic arrived. I've had one short flight in 'Beginner' mode using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 running DJI Go 4 and that checked out OK, but the small screen tested my poor old eyes.
So I got myself a Samsung A 7(2016) 7in tablet and a DJI sun shield (which works fine), but on first connecting then turning on the quad GO 4, after having the 'disconnected'..'battery error' etc fit, came up with a window saying that the device should have DJI Go installed for the Mavic.
Installed Go and everything was terrific, no noticeable video feed lag or freezing, no focus issues, butter smooth flying and gimbal performance, colour me very happy.
Thanks for the feedback....I am very interested in hearing more about the DJI sun shade when used with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7". That is my biggest complaint about this tablet is the lack of brightness for outdoor use. Any pro's or Con's you can give related to this setup and the DJI sun shield would be greatly appreciated....pics would be nice as well.

I have a Galaxy Tab A 7" and the DJI sun shade. I have not used it much yet but I can surely take pics for you tomorrow if nobody else does before that. I think it will work well depending on angle of the sun, I just haven't had enough sun here yet to really test it.

Reactions: Heavysledz
Here are 2 pics of my controller with the DJI sun shield and my Galaxy Tab A 7" installed. It is not sunny here so I cannot show you how much it would protect from that but I feel more than half the screen will be shielded unless the remote is laying flat which it never is when I am flying, that may not be true for everyone though.
20170116_145929.jpg 20170116_145901.jpg

After reading many reviews, I purchased a Galaxy Tab A 7" to use exclusively with my Mavic. After six days of crap weather, I took it out on Saturday and....got disconnected within 20 metres. Then reconnected, but video about 5 seconds 'lag'. Totally useless so I repackaged and took it back for a refund, as it was not 'suitable for purpose'. John Lewis refunded immediately, I think they've had loads of complaints that this is seriously underpowered, not just DJI GO / GO 4 but with loads of other apps. Back to using my iPad Mini 4 and it's fine (although I do occasionally get a disconnect, it isn't major.) so be careful of '...this tablet works fine...' - no it doesn't.

ps - it was the SM280 model.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

After reading many reviews, I purchased a Galaxy Tab A 7" to use exclusively with my Mavic. After six days of crap weather, I took it out on Saturday and....got disconnected within 20 metres. Then reconnected, but video about 5 seconds 'lag'. Totally useless so I repackaged and took it back for a refund, as it was not 'suitable for purpose'. John Lewis refunded immediately, I think they've had loads of complaints that this is seriously underpowered, not just DJI GO / GO 4 but with loads of other apps. Back to using my iPad Mini 4 and it's fine (although I do occasionally get a disconnect, it isn't major.) so be careful of '...this tablet works fine...' - no it doesn't.

ps - it was the SM280 model.

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Odd that we should get such different results using the same device..mine is the SM-T280 model. As I said mine refused to connect running Go4, but performed flawlessly using Go 3.1.1.
All I can suggest is that installing App Manager III, moving apps to an external SD card, and making absolutely sure that there were no background apps/processes running before connecting to the RC might explain the difference.

I've tried to measure lag on Nexus 7 II (2013). Looks like picture is lagging 25 milliseconds in ideal environment meaning 'RC next to the craft'. Can someone measure iPad's lag just to figure out how much is lost in the OS platform?

1484657134562.png

Odd that we should get such different results using the same device..mine is the SM-T280 model. As I said mine refused to connect running Go4, but performed flawlessly using Go 3.1.1.
All I can suggest is that installing App Manager III, moving apps to an external SD card, and making absolutely sure that there were no background apps/processes running before connecting to the RC might explain the difference.
same here....no issues with mine either and I have the SM-T280. In over 2 hours of flight time to-date, it has only crashed one time and that was using the Gesture mode. It closed the app and reopened it on it's own and reestablished connection.I have no other apps running and try to remember to shut off the Wi-Fi when using it but half the time I forget but doesn't seem to make any difference.

I first used my Samsung S5 phone with no problems except I wanted more screen size....(age) so I bought a Tab A 7 SM-T280. Connects and looks great but lots of lag and constant signal loss within feet of take off. So I tried a RCA voyager II I had in the house and it connected and has a lot less lag and less signal losses. Used my S5 again and no issues. The Tab A has a 1.3 Ghz processor and the Voyager has a 1.4 ghz processor and lower screen resolution and the S5 has a 2.5 ghz processor. I'm starting to bend towards processor power has a lot to due with lag and connection issues and the video processor. Going to try another tablet at 1.7 ghz and see how it goes when it comes in in about 2 weeks. I'll let ya'll know. Don't really wanna spend the money for a mini. If it sucks I think a mini is on the horizon

Last edited:
I too am using a Galaxy Tab A (2016) but find it very sluggish as Merknet does. Also in flight the video disconnects constantly with the drone not more than 30ft away. Using the DJI Go 4 app.

Yes, mine too. So, its a processor issue or RAM?

I too am using a Galaxy Tab A (2016) but find it very sluggish as Merknet does. Also in flight the video disconnects constantly with the drone not more than 30ft away. Using the DJI Go 4 app.

Try the GO app 3. Don't "cache locally". Close all apps before opening GO app 3. Worked for me. Hope this helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3