DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 First Impression

TTFullTimer

Reactions
My Tab S2 arrived today. It did a system update, and update to Android 6 Marshmallow, and then two more system updates. I started the RC then the Mavic and finally DJI Go 4 on the S2. Entered settings and put in a bunch based mostly on being able to fly smoothly as well as a few others less camera adjustments.

One of the very important items that I wanted was a high screen resolution. (same as I retina pads). However I wanted a whole lot more brightness. I was rewarded with a high noon sun in the Arizona high desert. The S2 is very visible with the sun shining directly on the screen. Any small amount of angle or shade and it is very bright. In the interest of full disclosure, I will never own any Apple product. They are overpriced and never compatible with the general world.

Flying with the S2 is great. The screen video is crisp as well as large enough for these old eyes to see easily. I did a few close in flights at about 100 feet altitude. Since I was next to my RV landing was a bit of a challenge as the obstacle avoidance wanted to not hit my trailer or me. Another lesson, you cannot stand very close to the landing site.

I am loving the Mavic more every day. And now with a proper FPV and Application machine, even more so.

I will be in a much more friendly flying environment in a few days. I hope to fly the Mavic a lot. My environment here in Benson Arizona is WINDY.

Edited to add that the model is the T710 not the downgraded display T713.

Last edited:
My Tab S2 arrived today. It did a system update, and update to Android 6 Marshmallow, and then two more system updates. I started the RC then the Mavic and finally DJI Go 4 on the S2. Entered settings and put in a bunch based mostly on being able to fly smoothly as well as a few others less camera adjustments.

One of the very important items that I wanted was a high screen resolution. (same as I retina pads). However I wanted a whole lot more brightness. I was rewarded with a high noon sun in the Arizona high desert. The S2 is very visible with the sun shining directly on the screen. Any small amount of angle or shade and it is very bright. In the interest of full disclosure, I will never own any Apple product. They are overpriced and never compatible with the general world.

Flying with the S2 is great. The screen video is crisp as well as large enough for these old eyes to see easily. I did a few close in flights at about 100 feet altitude. Since I was next to my RV landing was a bit of a challenge as the obstacle avoidance wanted to not hit my trailer or me. Another lesson, you cannot stand very close to the landing site.

I am loving the Mavic more every day. And now with a proper FPV and Application machine, even more so.

I will be in a much more friendly flying environment in a few days. I hope to fly the Mavic a lot. My environment here in Benson Arizona is WINDY.

Edited to add that the model is the T710 not the downgraded display T713.
I deliberately ordered the s2 710 version from e-bay. Just got it today and disabled as much bloatware as I could. Downloaded DJI GO 4 app (bummed out to see it was the latest version). Disabled automatic updates and disabled apps that I don't need. Much to my relief I powered up Mavic and controller, then hood up tablet and it came up without issue. Had a brief message about being in a warning area but that went away. Took it outside and just hovered a few hundred feet away and tested several modes with 0 issues! Totally stoked, can't wait to put it through it's paces in the next few days/

I have an s2 also, I like it alot, I have to make sure it is the last thing I start up otherwise it wont let me connect to the aircraft. I don't mind that extra step. What I dont like is that is seems to charge from being plugged into the controller and it draws the controller power down pretty quickly. So it makes my controller battery the weakest link. I just ordered the Ipad mini 4, and I do not like apple products, I have read that they don't draw from the controller. We will see. LOVE MY MAVIC!!!

I have ipad mini 2, all great except the screen is not bright enough for any type of weather outside, never had tab s2, Is there anyone here who could compare brightness of those two devices? thanks

Have both. S2 just a bit brighter.
It's lighter(weight) too.
Prefer the s2.

Has anyone figured out how to prevent the Mavic controller from recharging the S2 tablet?
I wish, I really like the S2, but now against every thing I am....I have picked up a Ipad mini 4...It doesn't seem to charge off the controller, but I just wish the S2 didn't either so I could just use it...

I wish, I really like the S2, but now against every thing I am....I have picked up a Ipad mini 4...It doesn't seem to charge off the controller, but I just wish the S2 didn't either so I could just use it...
I love the S2 for my Mavic. It is just about perfect. The screen is really bright, the connection is clean, and GO 4 works well with it.

My only issue is the controller charging the S2 while connected, which depletes the controller's battery, reducing the amount of time I can use it before recharging...by a lot.

My understanding is that even though it says it's recharging, it isn't actually.
USB uses different pins for charge vs data, and because it (s2) sees the charge pins are connected it thinks it's being charged, whereas I believe the RC doesn't actually put any current out those pins.
I have had cases where other (unrelated)devices have said they are charging but don't charge, with a later pop-up message telling me it's not charging enough (can't exactly remember the message). It ended up being the charger being faulty even though it was showing connected and charging.
This is only my understand of what is going on, not based on tech info. I have never noticed my RC power go down because of being connected via the bottom usb to the S2 for up to an hour. It lasts exactly the same as being connected to my phone via the side USB connector.

Last edited:
My understanding is that even though it says it's recharging, it isn't actually.
USB uses different pins for charge vs data, and because it (s2) sees the charge pins are connected it thinks it's being charged, whereas I believe the RC doesn't actually put any current out those pins.
I have had cases where other (unrelated)devices have said they are charging but don't charge, with a later pop-up message telling me it's not charging enough (can't exactly remember the message). It ended up being the charger being faulty even though it was showing connected and charging.
This is only my understand of what is going on, not based on tech info. I have never noticed my RC power go down because of being connected via the bottom usb to the S2 for up to an hour. I lasts exactly the same as being connected to my phone via the side USB connector.
Nope, the controller is definitely recharging the tablet, and thereby depleting itself. This evening I took note of the S2's remaining battery before attaching it to the controller, which was 84%. After 30 minutes, when the controller started beeping, the remaining battery on my S2 was 89%.

Perform this test, which I just did: recharge your S2 to about 97% and connect it to the Mavic controller. Turn on the controller and the S2. Don't enter the GO 4 app (if GO 4 starts up exit it); just leave the tablet at the home page and the controller connected and running. Turn the S2's screen off. In 10 minutes or so (possibly less), turn on the S2's screen again. You will see that the battery on your S2 is now at 100%

Last edited:
I just flew tonight and the RC was at 98% while the S2 was at 90%. Both started at 100 percent. Go figure.

I don't see how that's even possible. Did you fly for like 2 seconds? Flight prep alone, before "wheels up" on the Mavic, brings the battery on the controller down to 98%

I know never saw it like this before. I flew the Mavic battery down to 30% Was not recording video just taking some snapshots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580