DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung S7 Edge

Wacker2611

Reactions
I've got an opportunity to get one of these relatively cheaply. My question is:
I gather that there has been some teething problems with this phone and DJI GO, but does anyone know whether these have been ironed out? I quite fancy one as the screen is gorgeously bright.....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

All i've read (waiting for Mavic, owning a S7 Edge) the problems are gone.
(Well, not MORE Problems then the ones on the supported list).
The problems were reboots during flight but that definitely has been fixed.
Lots of positive reports (e.g. on DJI Forum).

Ender

Reactions: Wacker2611
Youre welcome, just to be correct, the reboots were observed with the Phantoms, no idea if that has been fixed for them as well, but with the Mavic the S7(Edge) is "clean" ;-)

Ender

I would get it even if it was not for the Mavic! :)

Best phone I have ever owned to date and I have had a few (I have a problem) :D

I would get it even if it was not for the Mavic! :)

Best phone I have ever owned to date and I have had a few (I have a problem) :D

Yup, a friend of mine has one and it really is a lovely thing. I need another device anyway as have been using my work issue IPhone 6s which has been fine, but naturally they don't really like you installing 3rd party apps on it, which is fair enough. Love that screen on the s7, and I couldn't believe how bright it was even in sunlight.

Ender
Sorry to disappoint you but they are definitely not gone. DJI Go 4 with my S7 edge continually hangs, loses connection or crashes when using intelligent flight modes. Ended up uninstalling it an reverting to DJIGO 3 which has evolved to be rock solid for me through about 150 flights.
Will revisit v4 when they release an update. In the mean time I have found it to be unusable on my S7 edge with th Mavic.

The only thing you will find over the iPhone is that android devices drain the controller much quicker. However I found that if you drop a QI charger underneath the phone it stops sucking juice from the controller. I grabbed one of the below, works nicely although not carried out any long term tests. The controller calibration screen comes back clean so I do not believe it interferes with the controller at all either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry to disappoint you but they are definitely not gone. DJI Go 4 with my S7 edge continually hangs, loses connection or crashes when using intelligent flight modes. Ended up uninstalling it an reverting to DJIGO 3 which has evolved to be rock solid for me through about 150 flights.
Will revisit v4 when they release an update. In the mean time I have found it to be unusable on my S7 edge with th Mavic.
I heard this for several Androids & iOS devices, did you ever try to get rid of the original cable and try a "normal" microUSB cable on the center port ?
Hope that helps, a lot of people had defective cables...

Ender

EDIT---- SORRY, BS above as i somehow missed the DJI Go 3 part, sorry but i leave this here as the cable part still is valid and may help someone else...

The only thing you will find over the iPhone is that android devices drain the controller much quicker. However I found that if you drop a QI charger underneath the phone it stops sucking juice from the controller. I grabbed one of the below, works nicely although not carried out any long term tests. The controller calibration screen comes back clean so I do not believe it interferes with the controller at all either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At some point i'll try a cable with a cut 5V line, some devices like it some dont but non charges then :)

Ender

S7 edge with DJIGO 3 or DJIGO 4 android. Battery drain is no issue at all. Lucky to use more than 15% on phone during 3 Mavic batteries used.

S7 edge with DJIGO 3 or DJIGO 4 android. Battery drain is no issue at all. Lucky to use more than 15% on phone during 3 Mavic batteries used.

Its not the phone battery that drains quickly, it is the controller! My phone stays at 100% but the controller only lasts 3 batteries from memory.

Hmmmm...Thanks for the tip. I'm in a quandary now as my Mavic is still in hospital and I've just ordered an S7! I really don't want to be lugging any more kit about with me no matter how small, which is why I'm not going back to a tablet....I couldn't possibly spoil the beautiful elegance of that RC design.[emoji16]
Trouble is I can't test it till my Mavic comes out of convalescence.....Roughly how many 15 minute flights out of a full charge with the S7? I hardly ever charged my Phantom controllers.....

At some point i'll try a cable with a cut 5V line, some devices like it some dont but non charges then :)

Ender

Think already been done Ender, was a no go :-(

Of course you can root.....

Hmmmm...Thanks for the tip. I'm in a quandary now as my Mavic is still in hospital and I've just ordered an S7! I really don't want to be lugging any more kit about with me no matter how small, which is why I'm not going back to a tablet....I couldn't possibly spoil the beautiful elegance of that RC design.
Trouble is I can't test it till my Mavic comes out of convalescence.....Roughly how many 15 minute flights out of a full charge with the S7? I hardly ever charged my Phantom controllers.....

I bounce between 3 phones, iPhone, S6 Edge and S7 Edge and quite honestly I cannot remember but you will be good for 3 / 4 batteries minimum. I am also hoping that with new firmware they may be able to stop the phone charging as they have managed to do this with the Inspire2. Probably wishful thinking though :)

EDIT: It is all relative though, you will use the same amount of juice up whatever phone you use. Either the controller will bum out first or your phone will....

Reactions: Wacker2611
Just the S7 Edge? I have a normal S7 that was flawless.

Except DJI GO (and GO 4) stays open and requires manual Force Close, or it will continue to consume battery.

Ender
My S7 Edge seems to be working fine with older app. Haven't tried 4

Its not the phone battery that drains quickly, it is the controller! My phone stays at 100% but the controller only lasts 3 batteries from memory.
Well that is more or less normal and nothing to do with android. My understanding is the controller battery is designed to do about 4 aircraft batteries worth of flight. Why would it need to do any more? I have the fly-more kit with three batteries and I do not recall seeing the controller battery less than 30% after using them all in succession with my S7 attached . At this point you would have to recharge the intelligent flight batteries and while this is going on the controller will get recharged too. So a non issue IMO. QI charger is a silly idea and I have never needed it. Just charge the controller when you charge the mavic batteries and you wont have a problem.

Last edited:
My S7 Edge seems to be working fine with older app. Haven't tried 4
That's what I have found too.

Be interesting to see if you see any problems with v4 if you switch. It all looked good to me until I started playing in the intelligent flight modes like POI and Active track. Then thinks started to go haywire with spurious loss of signal, greyed screen and app crashes. No doubt an update to the app will fix it. Will reinstall it as soon as an update arrives and try it again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius