DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sandisk Extreme...never again

X424

Reactions
Bought a 64GB Sandisk Extreme micro SD today (advertised as giving up to 90MB per sec read speeds). Was disappointed to see that in real world and ATTO benchmark tool it was only delivering 22 MB per sec read.

Spoke to Sandisk support and they said to RMA it. Bought it from Amazon themselves...will be going back tomorrow. By comparison, Lexar 633X is giving me 85 MB per sec read in real world and ATTO bench.

Seen too many of these stories to give them another go.

Bintryin is right...you need the pro versions. The extreme products can't do 4k.
I believe the regular versions are red and gray on top, the pro is red and gold. Double-check on that one though.

Just realized all my existing cards are the Sandisk Ultra. Red & grey in color. I'm getting reported read speeds of 44.9MB/s in Blackmagic and 44MB/s in AJA reading a 1GB 4096x3112 4K test file.

Sandisk lists this card as read speeds "up too" 80MB/s. So would this card be considered defective, or is the 80MB/s a best case under "optimum conditions"?

Update: OP inspired me to test the remainder of my cards. Out of three on hand, all identical to the above, same formatting, inserted into a USB3 reader, I got read speeds of 91MB/s, 75MB/s, & 44MB/s.

Looks like I'll be contacting Sandisk as well asking what's going on.

Now when you say the slower cards can't do 4K, what type of issues should I be seeing with my videos that indicate the card isn't meeting expectations?

Last edited:
Lots of fake Sandisk cards around. Are you sure it was bought from Amazon or a 3rd party seller.

I have personally tested both and can say hands down the 633X has a faster download time over the gold 64gb
Class 3 card.......C

Is there a reason you guys are worried about read speed not write speed?

Nope.!
Just wanted to compare....
The SanDisk micro Extreme 64 Gig class 3 (red/gold) Reading /Download time is Mind numbing slow
compared to
The Luxar 633X(blue silvr)
@2k 30fps..................... IMO......................C

Ok. Anybody tried using a UHS-II microSDXC w/USB3 card reader? Wonder if the 150 MB/sec read speeds are true?

Ok. Anybody tried using a UHS-II microSDXC w/USB3 card reader? Wonder if the 150 MB/sec read speeds are true?

I just tested my Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro (SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II microSDXC SDSQXPJ-064G-ANCM3 B&H) with my Lexar UR2 reader (Lexar Professional Workflow UR2 Three-Slot microSDHC LRWUR2TBNA) using the BlackMagic Disk Speed test and got 95-100MB/sec write speeds and 235MB/sec read speeds.

Keep in mind that the Mavic maxes out at 60 megaBITS per second so you only need a card that can do sustained writes at 7.5 megaBYTES per second to support that. Faster write speeds don't really do anything and faster read speeds are only useful for reducing the time to offload the files onto your computer.

Keep in mind that the Mavic maxes out at 60 megaBITS per second so you only need a card that can do sustained writes at 7.5 megaBYTES per second to support that. Faster write speeds don't really do anything and faster read speeds are only useful for reducing the time to offload the files onto your computer.
Yes thanks. I also fly a P4P which will transfer data up to 100 Mbps. No problem for any UHS-1 U3 rated cards that I know of.

As you point out, it's the offloading that can be very slow so I'm encouraged to hear about your test with SanDisk UHS-II card.

I have extreme plus 64 gb that I picked up for 30 bucks on eBay. I tested it and it runs at 27MB write speed. I'm guessing this is good enough?

I've two SanDisk Cards both 64 GB:
- Ultra MicroSDXC UHS-I
- Extreme microSDHC Class 10, U3, V30

Mavic works great with both, my gopro does not, if I want 4K I must use the V30.
I though with Mavic would have the same "problem", but guess not. It works just fine with both (always filming in 4K).

About the download time (copy to mac) yeah they could be faster, never benchmarked, but I'm usually doing other things while the files are being copied, so no bummer for me.

Reactions: WizDrone
Yes thanks. I also fly a P4P which will transfer data up to 100 Mbps. No problem for any UHS-1 U3 rated cards that I know of.

As you point out, it's the offloading that can be very slow so I'm encouraged to hear about your test with SanDisk UHS-II card.
Just received Lexar Pro UHS-II 64GB microSDXC. Did a write test from internal SSD to microSDXC and reversed it from microSDXC to internal SSD for read; six files totaling 6.1 GB
  • sustained write average of 57 MB/s
  • sustained read average of 125 MB/s
Fastest SD card I have ever used!

I have extreme plus 64 gb that I picked up for 30 bucks on eBay. I tested it and it runs at 27MB write speed. I'm guessing this is good enough?
Definitely

Bought a 64GB Sandisk Extreme micro SD today (advertised as giving up to 90MB per sec read speeds). Was disappointed to see that in real world and ATTO benchmark tool it was only delivering 22 MB per sec read.

Spoke to Sandisk support and they said to RMA it. Bought it from Amazon themselves...will be going back tomorrow. By comparison, Lexar 633X is giving me 85 MB per sec read in real world and ATTO bench.

Seen too many of these stories to give them another go.

Extreme is good I have one, but the best one is the Extreme Pro A1.
  • Extreme give you around 40 to 50 BM per sec read and write
  • Extreme Pro A1 around 80 to 90 BM per sec read and write

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929