DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

satellite positioning turned off

bomber2

Reactions
The last several times I have turned on my magic I get satellite positioning turned off, fly with caution. Then after a few minutes all satellites are found and home point is set. Does anyone know why I am suddenly getting this message and what can be done to eliminate it. Thanks

The last several times I have turned on my magic I get satellite positioning turned off, fly with caution. Then after a few minutes all satellites are found and home point is set. Does anyone know why I am suddenly getting this message and what can be done to eliminate it. Thanks
Yes, don't take off before getting a satellite lock.

If you have no sat lock or home point and try to take off without verifying. The craft will warn you as well as the app. It's a fail safe built in. FW 0400.
Although with FW 0700 to support the goggles and extra features, some things may have changed.
Pay attention to what the system is asking you and you will be just fine.
Always wait to hear ( Home point has been set. Please look at it on the map!)
After that, you should be good to go for take off.

Last edited:
thanks, flown many flights and just the last couple have I ever got this message. So strange I just started getting this message. I never take off until home point has been located.

thanks, flown many flights and just the last couple have I ever got this message. So strange I just started getting this message. I never take off until home point has been located.
Have you recently updated the app or FW?

If you have anything stuck onto the back of your Mavic that can interfere with the GPS signal. Another reason would be nearby objects such as buildings or cliffs that block the sky. Always check on the map too - a bad GPS lock can result in a runaway when the true position is eventually locked.

Reactions: Ezaz
In addition to what everyone else said, it's important to understand how GPS works. You need a minimum of 4 satellites (3 for lat lon, and altitude, 1 for time stamping) to get dependable positioning information. The more satellite signals you can get, the more accurate the info. GPS satellites are not geosynchronous, meaning they are not always in the same position in the sky when you need them. GPS data from these satellites is broadcast, LOS. Your GPS system "knows" where they should be, by a constantly updated file called "ephemeris data". But there are times when a GPS satellite or group of them, and their very weak radio signal slips below the horizon, or are obstructed by objects. When that happens, you may experience what you are experiencing. It may take longer to lock on to the GPS, and there are times that you won't be able to get your position at all. If you are near cliffs or hills or man made tall objects, or in a deep valley, you can definitely experience GPS accuracy difficulties. Be patient. If you're in a good, open spot, unless something is wrong with your MP GPS system, you'll eventually get a lock.

Just to add that it can take a couple of minutes to get enough satellites for the “Home point has been recorded, please check it on the map” message and that it is important to check that the AC and RC icons are shown pointing in the corrrect direction and position. Some of the RTH flyaways could be because the drone still has an old home point recorded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580