DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saved by the Police!

Sorry I'm DIFFERENT, I got about $2000 wrapped up in my drone, she would have got that *** beat and her lil dog would have died too!
Police would have arrived to Gallagher Show! SPLAT!!!! [emoji521][emoji531][emoji528][emoji525][emoji534]
NO ME
NO DRONE
MAVIC OUT

Reactions: Slayerstwin
I was flying in a park this past weekend...

In a public place like this there is no expectation of privacy, and you are free to photo and video as you wish. I know this because an unknown man showed up at my kid's little league game and started taking pics with a long lens. We called the police and they informed us of the above. All we could do was ask him to leave, and he obliged.

Reactions: Jake Galloway
Someone posted that they wore an orange vest and construction hat while flying. People thought he was working and left him alone.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Good idea! That might be more effective than my solution, and much more comfortable!IMG_0072.JPG

I was flying in a park this past weekend, which is fairly large and has two baseball fields at the far end of it. After a few minutes of flight a woman started to walk over towards me. This happens quite a bit, especially with my Inspire and is usually some interested people who think its pretty cool. This woman however, was very irate the second she walked up to me, claiming I was a pervert for spying on her daughter who was playing soccer at the end of the field. I informed her I was not spying on her daughter and that I was simply flying to compare video between the two quads (Inspire & Mavic). After several minutes of bickering she decided I was entirely in the wrong and called the police. Before the police arrived, my battery was getting low so I brought it in to land, where she picked it up and took it from me.

The police arrived, and very politely asked if I was obeying regulations (400', etc etc) and then informed the woman that I had every right to fly where I was flying. They told her she needed to give me back my property or she'd be arrested. The look on her face was the most satisfying experience :D Anyway, she handed back my Mavic and walked away. One of the officers was also a fellow hobbyist and was excited to see a Mavic in person.

A rambling story I know, but its good to see that not all officers are ill-informed when it comes to these things.[/QU

What state do you reside in?
I'm in NY and get nervous of how people will react. However, most think it is cool!

What state do you reside in? I'm in NY and worry how people will react. Although so far, just curiosity and most think it is cool, especially younger people. Some older people out for a walk give me the evil eye.

What state do you reside in? I'm in NY and worry how people will react. Although so far, just curiosity and most think it is cool, especially younger people. Some older people out for a walk give me the evil eye.

I'm in PA, this definitely isn't a common occurrence lol. I usually get the same kind of reactions, people that think its cool or interesting. I even had a neighbor that walked down the street to see if I'd be able to fly over his house to check out his roof :)

This is why I keep saying the public animosity towards drones has nothing to do with safety. All of the anti-drone regs and rules that are popping up at the local level may be implying safety, but the drive behind them and the reason they appreciate so much public support is because of the privacy issue. The media is fully aware of the hysteria they're promoting and it is because of this (not a fear of aircraft being taken down or VIPs being targeted) that we will see ever-increasing restrictions.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
This is why I keep saying the public animosity towards drones has nothing to do with safety. All of the anti-drone regs and rules that are popping up at the local level may be implying safety, but the drive behind them and the reason they appreciate so much public support is because of the privacy issue. The media is fully aware of the hysteria they're promoting and it is because of this (not a fear of aircraft being taken down or VIPs being targeted) that we will see ever-increasing restrictions.

Totally agree. Agenda setting -> Better Profit.

We all know how the news operates. Instead of
"Local hobbyist's drone hits tree and falls 10 feet to the ground"
we'd get something like
"Privacy violating drone operator flies recklessly while recording the neighborhood, collides with tree where it comes crashing back to earth, endangering the lives of everyone around"

I had a good police experience myself the other day. I am a fairly new Mavic owner, and I am spending what is left of the winter honing my flying skills. I have been flying at the the local RC Model clubs field. It is out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded completely by BLM land. Unfortunately it is impossible to get to if it is even slightly wet. I have been eyeing a park in a community close by to mine as a possible alternate on wet days. I decided to check in with the local police. I was ushered in to the Chief's office, who began to lecture me on the problems drones have caused in his community. He also reluctantly told me that it was legal to fly in the park. I assured him that I am a responsible drone pilot. I also began to tell him about all of the technology built into the Mavic, including it's obstacle avoidance capabilities. He became quite interested and asked if he could see it. 45 minutes later he was a total convert. I told him I would check in with his receptionist so he or any of his officers who were available could stop by and see the Mavic in action. Great experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Totally agree. Agenda setting -> Better Profit.

We all know how the news operates. Instead of
"Local hobbyist's drone hits tree and falls 10 feet to the ground"
we'd get something like
"Privacy violating drone operator flies recklessly while recording the neighborhood, collides with tree where it comes crashing back to earth, endangering the lives of everyone around"

TV stations also have a very large investment in manned aerial photographic equipment. They lost their monopoly in fixed cameras when webcams got cheap and ubiquitous, no way they're going to give up the news chopper. If they make it expensive and illegal for amateurs and small businesses they can wait it out until you're gone. Then they'll suddenly tout their new "action news drone network."

Reactions: Jake Galloway

I'm in ny also and ppl just look wile walking by no problems yet knock on wood..

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

It is a shame that people are so influenced by television and social media. People who aren't viewing media with a cynical eye probably shouldn't. Unfortunately because they get a lot of positive reenforcement of their world view from mass media, it is impossible to show them the real world.

I remember when TV news was operated at a loss, serving the "public interest" in exchange for free spectrum from the FCC. Then it became a profit center. At first it seemed harmless enough. But then it went to "If it bleeds it leads," quickly followed by dubious and sensationalistic investigative reports, and now today so much manipulation of everything just to get a rise out of someone that it becomes very difficult to define the 6:00 news as actual journalism. Almost everything seems to have degraded into making a mountain out of a molehill just to keep you watching until the next over-the-top teaser.

Stranger danger is the ultimate manifestation. Fear each other! Fear authority! Fear everything and everyone who hasn't been vetted on our station (especially businesses who don't advertise on our station)! Fear the anchors on that other station (they're lying to you)! Stay away from social media!

But you can rely on News You Can Trust™. Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook!

All for a buck (lots of bucks, actually).

I had a good police experience myself the other day. I am a fairly new Mavic owner, and I am spending what is left of the winter honing my flying skills. I have been flying at the the local RC Model clubs field. It is out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded completely by BLM land. Unfortunately it is impossible to get to if it is even slightly wet. I have been eyeing a park in a community close by to mine as a possible alternate on wet days. I decided to check in with the local police. I was ushered in to the Chief's office, who began to lecture me on the problems drones have caused in his community. He also reluctantly told me that it was legal to fly in the park. I assured him that I am a responsible drone pilot. I also began to tell him about all of the technology built into the Mavic, including it's obstacle avoidance capabilities. He became quite interested and asked if he could see it. 45 minutes later he was a total convert. I told him I would check in with his receptionist so he or any of his officers who were available could stop by and see the Mavic in action. Great experience.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

Good on you for taking the extra precautions. Though not necessary, your contribution towards informing the public of the real facts and not the facts the news wants everyone to hear certainly helps!

I've been flying since the FC40 came out years ago, frequently at that and this is my first experience with this type of situation. You'd think she was joking at first with how clueless and serious she was.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Since I doubt she knew how to double tap the battery on the drone to turn it off I would have been tempted to CSC the motors on while she was holding it. Tempted, but I hope I would restrain myself.

Reactions: MAVA4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu