DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scared of birds

Mr Tic tac

Reactions
Recently, I was gone close to the sea in Italy.
I don't know if I should be afraid of seagulls.
When i start the propellers and i go to 5 meters. They start screaming and flying very close of the drone.
Did anyone had any of this problems and how do you think i should react?

Mr Tic tac

Reactions: workfortravel
Be quite weary and use caution - possibly find another spot to fly? The nature of the bird is unpredictable. It may even strike through confusion.

I was flying a Litchi mission today, and 2 Red kites chased the drone for a while. Came out of nowhere! was quite nervous, watched and they backed off so I continued the mission, but bought it down shortly afterwards as I could see they were still in the area, now chasing crows.

Recently, I was gone close to the sea in Italy.
I don't know if I should be afraid of seagulls.
When i start the propellers and i go to 5 meters. They start screaming and flying very close of the drone.
Did anyone had any of this problems and how do you think i should react?

Mr Tic tac
After flying together with a friend I realized that my grey MP was attracting much more the birds than his white phantom. I then cut a yellow skin and since then I have the feeling that birds now stay away.

I live at the beach so I'm just waiting for my first bird encounter. I read a post a while ago that mentioned throttling up quickly is a good path to take to escape birds. Well, unless they're right above you anyway.

I live at the beach so I'm just waiting for my first bird encounter. I read a post a while ago that mentioned throttling up quickly is a good path to take to escape birds. Well, unless they're right above you anyway.
Concur with this. Whenever I see curious birds, I give it full left stick up and they usually fly away.

I had a gang of humming birds constantly dive bombed and buzzed my Mavic the other day.

When I noticed them on my screen I flew straight up and away as not to hurt them.

They were pissed and completely unafraid.

Last edited:
After flying together with a friend I realized that my grey MP was attracting much more the birds than his white phantom. I then cut a yellow skin and since then I have the feeling that birds now stay away.
I work in airport operations - and know what the bird populace around here are prone to do. They obviously won't attack full scale aircraft, but upon landing our pilots will have their landing lights (daytime) flashing - this is a bird fright technique and tends to work well. I have strobes (white on the back, red and green in front) - 3 in all, that I have seen seagulls react to when they fly near. Truly, they turned around and headed back in the direction they came from...

I work in airport operations - and know what the bird populace around here are prone to do. They obviously won't attack full scale aircraft, but upon landing our pilots will have their landing lights (daytime) flashing - this is a bird fright technique and tends to work well. I have strobes (white on the back, red and green in front) - 3 in all, that I have seen seagulls react to when they fly near. Truly, they turned around and headed back in the direction they came from...
I know about the STROBON, the shipment is very expensive for me, do you have any other suggestions where to get some strobes?ake
Can you please take a picture or a small video of your setup to have an idea?
Thanks

I know about the STROBON, the shipment is very expensive for me, do you have any other suggestions where to get some strobes?ake
Can you please take a picture or a small video of your setup to have an idea?
Thanks
Hi Paolo,
I know of only 2 places to aquire these particular 'Cree' strobes from - North America (Firehouse Technology), and England (Flytron). You can find them online if you search the above in brackets - other than that, I really don't know of any other source. I believe these particular strobes are the brightest, and they have proved themselves more than once - both visually and as a bird deterent.
I won't be able to supply pics for a few days - but happy to when I can...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929