DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sea kayaker here - Mavic is a game changer for us.

kayakhipster

Reactions
Video -

I've been flying quadcopters/drones for 2 years, in search of getting aerial footage while kayaking. I started with little ones, crashed a ton. Eventually moved up to a phantom and was able to film really great footage while out on the water. But it's a beast to carry.

Recently got the Mavic Pro. It's a game changer for all outdoor activities. I can't believe how small it packs while flying so well and providing exceptional video quality for its size and versatility.

There's still some settings that I don't like (or that I set up incorrectly) and will be adjusting. I mention them in the video.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

As a fellow kayaker I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a while now, I picked up some helpful rolling tips when I was learning to roll.

I've got a Mavic on order, though I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to take it with me when I'm on the water just yet.

Do you fly from the boat or do you land and launch ?

I bought mine primarily to document this years kayak camping trips.
The aerial footage will add a great new dimension to the filming and the Mavic is the perfect size to take with me on every trip

As a fellow kayaker I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for a while now, I picked up some helpful rolling tips when I was learning to roll.

I've got a Mavic on order, though I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to take it with me when I'm on the water just yet.

Do you fly from the boat or do you land and launch ?

Great to hear the rolling tips were helpful! That's the tough dilemma. Do you risk it getting wet to get those great shots... so far only from land. But as I get more used to it I will try eventually from the water. I'm hopeful I can start with tracking modes and eventually controlling it from the water in very calm locations.

I bought mine primarily to document this years kayak camping trips.
The aerial footage will add a great new dimension to the filming and the Mavic is the perfect size to take with me on every trip

I completely agree with you. Even just an establishing shot or an overhead shot to break up the rest of the footage can do wonders.

Reactions: xpower180
Where do you place and how do you protect your remote with attached phone while in the boat with the MAavic in air?
If in calm water the solution with styro balls at the four legs would be the next step for you to takeoff and land on water, directly besides your boat.

Where do you place and how do you protect your remote with attached phone while in the boat with the MAavic in air?

I've not used the Mavic from a kayak yet, but I'm hoping I may be able to use wifi mode for some of the closer work, that way the controller won't be needed.

I've not used the Mavic from a kayak yet, but I'm hoping I may be able to use wifi mode for some of the closer work, that way the controller won't be needed.

Same here. I do the flying for now from the shore. As I get more comfortable we'll see how/if that changes.

Given that I often find using a waterproof camera a challenge in anything other than a dead calm, I think flying from the boat is a long way off for me [emoji6]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242