DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seattle Area Pilots

Alright, so after venting here a little bit I called DJI directly and they basically confirmed what I was told by the Factoria store. They are completely separate entities.

Just so you guys know, if you didn't know already, you cannot take your drone purchased through DJI Direct, Best Buy, New Egg, or wherever to the Factoria store for service. They are an outlet only and will only service drones bought directly through them. Seems like a horrible business model to me, but what do I know. I'll just order mine from DJI direct and pretend like that local store isn't even there.

DJI does not actually own the Factoria store. They partnered with Yita LLC to represent them in Washington State (I believe it's similar to a franchise). The employees of the store are actually Yita employees, not DJI. Yita also owns Yitamotors in Kent, an automotive LED company, that sells limited DJI products as well. Or at least they did. Not sure if they will continue to do so now that the Factoria store has opened.

Thanks for the clarification, Peel. It seems a bit disingenuous to call themselves DJI, but now that I know, I'll just not use them. Even if I wanted to, they wouldn't help me.

Anyhow, I ordered my Mavic through the DJI site tonight. Can't wait to get it!

I look at it in the same way that my local Subway sandwich shop is a franchise owned by the guy who lives down the block from me, and not by Subway corporation itself. He pays them a (rather substantial) fee to use their name, marketing, etc and sell their products. I think if you dug deep enough you'd find that a lot of branded stores of all sorts are locally owned franchises.
In some regards it's more in line with keeping your dollars local, as any retail profits go into the local owner's pocket instead of a corporation in China's.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I get what you're saying, but I was likening it more to other companys that sold hard goods which is more of an apples-to-apples comparison. If you buy a Mustang somewhere and it needs warranty repair, you take it to any dealer with a giant Ford sign out front. If you tried taking it to a Ford franchise dealer and they told you to pound sand because you didn't buy it at THAT Ford dealership, they'd quickly go out of business.

Anyway, like I said, still super stoked to get the drone. I'm trying to avoid buying all the accessories until next payday, but it's tough!

New to this Group. Just ordered my Mavic and hopefully will have it in a few weeks. I am up in Marysville and currently fly the Typhoon H. Started with a P2. I ordered the Mavic so I could have an easier bird for hikes and travel.

Reactions: west1200us
Heard about that just a few minutes ago...crazy. Any indication as to what it was? Seemed like he just made a beeline for the deck, wonder what happened?

I heard it went into RTH mode for whatever reason. I don't think the Inspire 1 has OA.

Wow, someone in Seattle scored an $800 fly less kit on CL this afternoon. I was a few minutes too late.

Hi everyone. My name is Thien, rookie drone flyer, picked up a used Mavic with a broken controller last week. I sent the controller back to DJI in Cali to get it fix or replace. Hopefully it won't cost too much. Anyone got a controller for sale? BTW, I contracted that seller on CL first but he wouldn't accept my offer of $700. I would have paid him 800 if I didn't already purchased one last week.

While waiting for my Mavic to ship I've been trying to think of neat places in the Seattle area to check out once I familiarize myself with it. Most places I'm coming up with seem like bad ideas due to crowds or being within 5 miles of an airport.

I expect most of my footage will be from places up in the mountains or coastline (Enchantments, North Cascades, Colchuck Lake, Rialto Beach, etc). Curious if any of you guys have taken your mavic (or any drone, really) out into the wilderness around here. If so, I'd love to see the videos.

While waiting for my Mavic to ship I've been trying to think of neat places in the Seattle area to check out once I familiarize myself with it. Most places I'm coming up with seem like bad ideas due to crowds or being within 5 miles of an airport.Curious if any of you guys have taken your mavic (or any drone, really) out into the wilderness around here. If so, I'd love to see the videos.

I've been doing my recreational flying at the north edge of the national forest from Buckley to south of Enumclaw...both wide open areas and great close in creek/river locations all along there...been snowy and cold but that's been great in that there haven't been any hikers, campers or Rangers to irritate ;-) Here's a few samples from my P4pros...the mavic is still in its box unopened on the office floor collecting dust ;-p
20170101_drone_carbon_canyon-2.jpg 20161214_rd3_rainier_test.jpg

Those are some gorgeous photos, Ric! I won't intrude on your spot, but that does look like a neat place. I was really wanting to take mine to the summit of Mt St Helens but technically I'm not allowed to since it's a national park...buncha fun haters.

Also, why are you not flying that Mavic? I'm still waiting for mine to ship and it's killing me.

Wouldn't intrude on me...the spots take some planning and effort to get to and fly at so I don't see the casual "give a ****" type flyer making the effort and screwing up the area...here's a map of where they were taken...#41 is the creek shot and #38 is the panoramic area with great views of Rainier (still well out of the park ;-)
As a photographer who flies to make images I have 2 - P4pros and they are doing just fine for me...the increase in image IQ is close to being "pro" quality (read: salable)... I was given the Mavic as payment for a debtScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 9.36.24 AM.png and just haven't seen the sense in setting up / flying it when the P4pros do a pretty good job for me and the Inspire 2 / Raw is on my list... soon ;-)
I'll get around to selling it some day soon...just haven't had the time.

Thanks for the info, Ric. I'm just a few minutes south of you in Des Moines so if you decide to sell that Mavic in the next couple of days before mine ships, I'd be interested.

Thanks for the info, Ric. I'm just a few minutes south of you in Des Moines so if you decide to sell that Mavic in the next couple of days before mine ships, I'd be interested.
PM'd you my phone # to discuss

Thanks again, Ric! It was great to meet you today. Can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow.

Thanks again, Ric! It was great to meet you today. Can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow.
Glad it went to someone who'll put it to good use...looking forward to the shots from your hikes...enjoy ;-)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929