DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seattle Area Pilots

Reactions: Peel
Hey guys,
I got a Mavic earlier in December from the Southcenter Apple store.

I've been flying DJI products for several years. I traveled a lot over the holidays and have already flown the Mavic in several different countries. I also have a Phantom 3 pro and an Inspire 1. Let me know if you have any issues or questions. I definitely haven't seen it all, but I've done quite a few things with the drones.

Located in Bellevue.
Shameless IG and Youtube plug:
IG: Loren Anderson (@lorenanderson.photography) • Instagram photos and videos
Youtube: Loren Anderson

Thanks for the link, Ric. Sounds like exactly what I need.

Loren, glad you posted your Instagram link. Just cruising through them real quickly I saw several places that looked familiar as I do a lot of traveling for work. Crashboat beach in Puerto Rico...loved the scuba diving there. Being from the PNW, any place you can dive without a full drysuit is phenomenal. :) I do have a qudstion, though. I saw a photo of gas works park but these days we'really technically not allowed to fly there anymore, right?

Crashboat was awesome!

Regarding Gas Works. I am not sure what the current state is. My gasworks photos were taken several years ago on a Sunday AM when planes weren't taking off/landing. I'd guess you can get special permission, but I am not sure who to get it from. I just avoid the area now.

Crashboat was awesome!

Regarding Gas Works. I am not sure what the current state is. My gasworks photos were taken several years ago on a Sunday AM when planes weren't taking off/landing. I'd guess you can get special permission, but I am not sure who to get it from. I just avoid the area now.

I have had Zero issues at Gassworks, I was flying all over there and so were other drone pilots as well as someone with a RC Plane, I'll post the video from gassworks when I have time to edit it this weekend.

Reactions: rossmoney
I have also had zero problems. But other times I've dealt with scrutiny.

It's next to Lake Union which is considered some sort of airport. Last I checked it isn't controlled airspace.

If you have to fly there just avoid hitting a plane and ruining it for everyone.

Anyway, happy flying.

which is considered some sort of airport. Last I checked it isn't controlled airspace.
it's called a Sea Plane base...Kenmore Air flies numerous flights out of there daily...better check again...

It's also a city park and drone flying is banned in all of them...

Yeah, the no flying in city parks is what I was referring to. Bummer. I'll go find somewhere else to fly, but gas works would have been neat.

When looking up pretty much any Seattle-ish location on the B4UFLY app, it's **** near impossible to find a place to fly that's not within 5 miles of some random heliport that may or may not be in use. So disheartening.

it's called a Sea Plane base...Kenmore Air flies numerous flights out of there daily...better check again...

City parks are banned? First I've heard that. The city doesn't own the airspace :-/

City parks are banned? First I've heard that. The city doesn't own the airspace :-/
Yeah you could argue that but they have more lawyers than you do ;-p

Rules & Regulations - Parks | seattle.gov

You can get your 107 and apply for a waiver...it's not unheard of to get one if you have a valid reason, a good log book, a well thought out and documented safety plan and a ton of liability insurance...

I have family in town so I took a sight-seeing drive up to Paradise. It was sooo tempting to let the mavic go for a few minutes but I resisted the temptation given the laws about national parks. It's so unfortunate we can't be trusted to regulate ourselves.

Reactions: rossmoney
The actual National Park is relatively small, at roughly 20 miles x 20 miles. It's legal to fly in the adjoining National Forest just outside any of the park entrances, and the view of the mountain from there is still quite spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: sgoe02

Wow, I didn't realize this.. I usually do my post firmware update test flights in a nearby park. Guess I'll either be flying out of town, or from my boat going forward.

Seattle Parks for sure, not sure about other cities. I looked up the local park where I sometimes fly... its listed on the Seattle.gov site.. :(

If anyone is still looking for a Mavic, the DJI store in Bellevue currently has 5 fly more bundles in Stock for $1299.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580