DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setting Sharpness to +1

Grey Wolf

Reactions
Did some research and it appears that the default setting in sharpness is set at 0 however the "in camera" sharpening tool is overworked and the picture appears to have some soft spots as well as sharp.
Looks like the best setting is to adjust the sharpness to +1 while leaving the other two at -1.
The picture should be sharp all around now and you can adjust in post anyway.
Should work great for grading with D-Log and Cinelike as well.

That's the go setting for me.
Simple testing demonstrates that at a sharpness value of "0" the Mavic's internal N.R is still engaged...and that's not a good thing.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
I have been trying to tell everyone this for several months now. Usually I am met with people telling me that I don't know what I am talking about. Hopefully when DJI inevitably comes out with the Mavic 2 The camera will be a step up.

I know I could search YouTube but working right now, where in the app do I change this? Screenshot?

DJI-GO-Camera-Sharpness-Setting.jpg

Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation (from left to right)

Last edited:
The sequence is Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation.

Last time I flew I used +1,-2,-2 with D-Log. The result was good enough for grading.

Reactions: Troncat
This ties in with the watercolor thread that is ages long. I really think that some Mavics are more affected with the noise algorithm than others when using the sharpness setting. I've also seen enough footage from others using the +1 sharpness setting to overcome the watercolor issue to good effect. For me, this makes my video look overly crisp and difficult to edit. My best video is shot with -1 sharpness. Even 0 is a bit too much. The only time I need to go to 0 is under extremely high contrast scenes, like flying in the direction of a low sun. I understand the +1 setting will more or less "guarantee" a watercolor free shoot under all lighting conditions, I just think it may be overkill for the majority of shoots. I don't mind changing the setting during flight when the conditions warrant it. I guess it confirms that not all Mavics are the same in this regard. There is so much "professional" level video out there shot with softer settings that are spectacular and free of resolution defects. It's probably a good general guideline to start with the +1 setting, especially for those who don't really know much about video recording or post processing, and just want useable video without hassle. Or for those who have Mavics that are more prone the color issue.

Reactions: Gmoney
I really think that some Mavics are more affected with the noise algorithm than others when using the sharpness setting.
I suppose this is firmware discrepancies.
Who could tell if DJI tweaked the camera settings in different firmwares? I'll keep .0400 as long as I can.

I suppose this is firmware discrepancies.
Who could tell if DJI tweaked the camera settings in different firmwares? I'll keep .0400 as long as I can.
Makes sense. Just the variation in FW update posts/problems people report indicate this. I have had zero issues with every update, and have fount 0600 to be the best yet. For me.

I know this an old thread but I had been searching high and low for this and found this thread and it was what I needed. I was starting to worry about the Mavic the video was soft and noisy. I fixed the noise with the ISO which I had too high,then I adjusted the sharpness to +1 from -1 from a friends settings. Night and day difference thanks guys for the info!!!!!

Reactions: Austriacus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder