DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Setup Tweaked For NO Updates

flyNfrank

Reactions
My devices and aircraft are set for no updates. I have been in the DJI whirl wind now since 2013 and I have already experienced these same situations a few times. It taught me to steer clear of what you know will NOT turn out good, such as this current GO4 app update. I searched the other forums today to see how other aircraft that also share the use of the GO4 app. Every one of them are having major issues will their aircraft now since updating. The only difference is, those that own the P4 Pro and inspire have larger groups that also knew ahead of time not to update. My device has the option to restrict a app from having access to the internet. If I did not have that feature I would have used airplane mode, or something.

It will be just a matter of time and the aftermarket will soon have something we can install and not be at the manufacturers mercy. Just before the Mavic pro 1st came out there was a company that made a similar setup for the Phantom 3 Advance and Phantom 3 Pro, that used the GO app. I wouldn't be surprised the same group put together something for the GO4 app.

EDIT: Here it is...already available!!! NFZ mod for Mavic Pro

Anyhow, those that ask me if they should update or not, I respond with a "Absolutely Not!". If you research as I have and see all the major issues with the different dji aircraft, you get the idea that there was no beta testing prior to this update. They wanted this in each of our aircraft quick for what ever the reason. I hate seeing people get jacked around.

I remember back in the fall of 2015 a big issue we had with a update and how I would have paid a couple of hundred dollars to have me old firmware back. I ended up waiting 5 weeks for the next update hoping it would fix my issue. Never again.

Last edited:
Im going to do a music video shoot tomorrow (memorial day) so far i have not got the update, I use a tablet so i wont turn it on at home there will be wifi at the show, but so long as i dont let my tablet connect i should be fine, I too had alot of issues and agree 100% with you NO MORE F N updates if it aint broke dont fix it or in the updates lingo dont wreck it lol

DJI needs to step back and let us alone with all these restrictions and updates last i checked i paid over a thousand dollars myself + every one else so why does DJI bend over for the Gov and keep messing with their customer base? Dont make much sence kinda like me here lol i just saw your post and wanted to say hi and i Agree with you.

?????????

Alot of people from what i have read think this update is full of restrictions do you know if this is true or why do they make us re activate etc. any ideas?

I know all mavic behaves different regardless they are all on the same firmware. I had my Mavic on firmware 4 and Dji app on 4 as well and never had any issue... basically flawless. Today i decided to update to a current firmware and update the app as well to the latest, i was nervous and i thought since its a whole new thing for my mavic ill reset everything to default and start fresh.

Updated as follows.

Update RC.
Update mavic.
Factory reset Mavic.
Calibrate VPS.
Calibrate IMU.
Calibrate Gimbal
Calibrate RC
Link RC
Uninstalled app, clear cache then installed the new one.

Went to the park to Calibrate compass and flight test. I was having cold sweat getting ready and hoping it wont drop out of the sky.
Started and took off normaly as i always do. Tested all the intelligent mode, sensors, RTH, and it seems like my mavic hovers way better than before. Brought it up all the way to 400ft and 1678ft distance in Sports Mode without loosing connection except the RC and HD icon blinking (same as before) but still in fully control.
I did this with 2 batteries i have, i let my last battery drop all the way till the Mavic RTH automatically and it was flawless. I am very happy with the result and i hope it stays that way specially im using an Android that everyone dislike by the IOS fan in here specially a not so compatible S8+.

...why do they make us re activate etc. any ideas?

So that if you sell your drone to someone else, they will have to activate it before flying - which ties the Mavic serial number to the new owner and not to you. That is a smart thing to do IMO. The new app changes how the serial number is tied to the owner, it requires "re" activation because as far as it knows, it has never been activated.

I know all mavic behaves different regardless they are all on the same firmware. I had my Mavic on firmware 4 and Dji app on 4 as well and never had any issue... basically flawless. Today i decided to update to a current firmware and update the app as well to the latest, i was nervous and i thought since its a whole new thing for my mavic ill reset everything to default and start fresh.

Updated as follows.

Update RC.
Update mavic.
Factory reset Mavic.
Calibrate VPS.
Calibrate IMU.
Calibrate Gimbal
Calibrate RC
Link RC
Uninstalled app, clear cache then installed the new one.

Went to the park to Calibrate compass and flight test. I was having cold sweat getting ready and hoping it wont drop out of the sky.
Started and took off normaly as i always do. Tested all the intelligent mode, sensors, RTH, and it seems like my mavic hovers way better than before. Brought it up all the way to 400ft and 1678ft distance in Sports Mode without loosing connection except the RC and HD icon blinking (same as before) but still in fully control.
I did this with 2 batteries i have, i let my last battery drop all the way till the Mavic RTH automatically and it was flawless. I am very happy with the result and i hope it stays that way specially im using an Android that everyone dislike by the IOS fan in here specially a not so compatible S8+.

Prior to the current update I updated my ios setup to the v4.0.7 version and everything went flawless on a 14,450ft flight out from my house, and then RTH for the return. The video display on the ipad mini 2 during flight was the clearest I had ever seen. I was very impressed. Then the next evening comes along and I make the 2nd flight since updating. All goes well until I reach around 8,500ft out and the video froze up. I unplugged the usb to start the app again, but when it starts it only moved one frame at a time every 30-40 seconds. I had to reply on RTH to get it back to Home Point. When I landed it i brought in I rolled back to .400 and all has been well for the most part.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S