DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shaky and wavey video

Dronebow

Reactions
More issues.. This ain't fun. Did some video at 9000' on Pikes Peak, it was about 20F degrees. The video is very bad. Like ripples of waves through it. I'm really not sure what to think of all this. How many drones do I need to go through to get a good one? Or am I missing something obvious.

Set at 2.7k 30fps

I'll have to upload and put a link up to show what I mean. It does not look like camera shake. It looks like video processing issues.

Reactions: Brainstormer
Maybe your memory card is not up to par? is it a class 10?

I think this is a common issue discussed already. Pilots flying in lower temperatures experience wavy video due to the mounts physical makeup not tolerating the inclement conditions. Basically hardening up and transferring micro vibrations to the gimbal/lens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: jointeffort
I think this is a common issue discussed already. Pilots flying in lower temperatures experience wavy video due to the mounts physical makeup not tolerating the inclement conditions. Basically hardening up and transferring micro vibrations to the gimbal/lens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app
This isn't an issue with the gimbal or mounts. This is something to do with the processing of the video. It's not camera shake. These are wavey and distorted videos. I wish I could upload but just can't right now.

This is very disconcerting to me. I'm really not sure what is causing this. Raw video, no processing except on youtube.

Gimbal cover and clamp are in my pocket. Latest firmware. Did video previously that I didn't notice this happening.

Looks a little like the "jello" effect. Search for it. I think it is typically caused when the shutter speed is significantly faster/higher than the FPS.

I think the recommendation is to shoot 2x the FPS, you were shooting at 30, the shutter speed should be 1/60.

Again, just from memory about jello effect, search for it for some in depth discussions.

The wavy image IS microvibrations. Cold gimbal materials can't isolate well; they stiffen up.

The video frame glitches are likely due to slow/incomplete writes to the SD card. Electronics have operational temperature ranges too. Batteries provide lower voltages which slow the processing of data, and the writing of data to flash memories. Try a faster MB/s SD card but that will help only so far.

The wavy image IS microvibrations. Cold gimbal materials can't isolate well; they stiffen up.

The video frame glitches are likely due to slow/incomplete writes to the SD card. Electronics have operational temperature ranges too. Batteries provide lower voltages which slow the processing of data, and the writing of data to flash memories. Try a faster MB/s SD card but that will help only soar.
I've seen the video for micro vibrations, and I disagree. This is not that. If it were micro vibrations it would impact the entire image, correct? Not just sections of the image. This appears to be the jello effect. Check this video which shows it more pronounced.

Dronebow, respectfully, everywhere I see distortions in that video, it is affecting the whole image. And "the jello effect" is the colloquial term for the symptom of microvibrations (or larger vibrations) of the sensor, so we're talking about the same thing.

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Try a neutral density filter next time, something like a 16 in similar lighting conditions, that should/may sort you out.. I can thoroughly recommend the TACO-RC versions.

Mine does this too and I've seen tons of others report it as well. It's really rediculous and I'm considering returning mine to best buy.

Guys, this is a hardware flaw and the unit needs to be sent back to DJI for repair or replacement. I sent mine in on the 19th and hopefully will have it back within a week or so. Here is my video.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Guys, this is a hardware flaw and the unit needs to be sent back to DJI for repair or replacement. I sent mine in on the 19th and hopefully will have it back within a week or so. Here is my video.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
If I send this back it will be the 3rd time to send a mavic back for repair. Yes.. THIRD!!

Dronebow, respectfully, everywhere I see distortions in that video, it is affecting the whole image. And "the jello effect" is the colloquial term for the symptom of microvibrations (or larger vibrations) of the sensor, so we're talking about the same thing.
Ok, you may be correct. But this does not instill confidence. I never had anything like this with my P3A at all. Maybe this is just a temperature thing but it's very troublesome to me. This is Mavic #3 afterall..

mine did this exact same thing when filming in 2.7K 30fps so the next flight out I used 4K 24fps and it did not occur....both times the ambient air temp was 20'F

Last edited:
I started a parallel thread for still pictures. Apparently the Mavik is notorious for wavy "Jello" pictures (still and video) under certain circumstances. There doesn't seem to be a consensus yet as to what causes it, and what will fix it.

Some folks mentioned that recalibrating the IMU, then the gimbal, then resetting the camera settings, helped.

And, it turns out that there's a new firmware update. Here's what I just posted in the thread that I initiated:

A brand-new Mavik firmware version appeared today (haven't used the unit in about a week).
One of its notes states that it improves gimbal performance in cold weather. So, being a fearless early adopter, I upgraded it. Then, I recalibrated and reset EVERYTHING.
We'll see what happens. I'll report back here.
One more thing -- while resetting the camera settings, I noted a curious toggle: "Lock Gimbal When Capture". Its default is "yes". For now, I'll leave it as is. But I'll turn it off after I've tested everything else, to see if that affects the quality of the pictures.

Stay tuned to this station! Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Mine is on its way back from Carson for the mag interference defect - so I can't test. But, has anyone had the jello effect happen at temperatures above freezing? Perhaps the cold temperature limit DJI has specified is due to the gimbal mechanics more so than then batteries? Living in central Florida, I don't think I'll be able to test - my freezer is a touch too small for a hover. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3