DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharpening Mavic Footages in post ?

networth

Reactions
How much do you normally sharpen the mavic footages ?
Mine is set to ART profile and -1 -1 -1 for all 3 variables.
Do you normally do 2.5 sharpen in post or less than that in FCPX ?

I never sharpen in post. My pics and videos are plenty sharp coming out of camera and from my experience using the native sharpening in fcp only adds noise. I'm wondering why you would set a negative 1 in camera and then try to sharpen later in post?

I really believe it's just a matter of taking the time to dial in the settings that work best for you. Start at 0 across the line and then adjust until you find what works best for you and your shooting conditions. There are SO many variables that there honestly isn't a silver bullet. Are you wearing NDs, is there snow on the ground, do you shoot mostly when the sun is low or midday, are you shooting auto or manual, 1080p 2.7K or 4K, etc etc etc.

Reactions: sonof40
I really believe it's just a matter of taking the time to dial in the settings that work best for you. Start at 0 across the line and then adjust until you find what works best for you and your shooting conditions. There are SO many variables that there honestly isn't a silver bullet. Are you wearing NDs, is there snow on the ground, do you shoot mostly when the sun is low or midday, are you shooting auto or manual, 1080p 2.7K or 4K, etc etc etc.

1. Auto.
2. 4K 24fps.

Someone in DJI forum said to do -2 in mavic

A lot of people jumped on the new Mavic "pro" to offer their "pro" advice and get those lucrative YouTube clicks. They suggested using D Log, which may be fine for a better camera but is actually garbage for the weaker Mavic camera. They suggest going -2 saturation, -2 sharpness, which just throws data away and makes you push it into a heavily quantized watercolor soup when you get back to the studio.

The defaults are not bad, given the limits of the hardware. If you like color grading, choose the color grade that is closest to what you want, to minimize how far you have to push it around in post processing. If you like pin sharp detail then don't buff it down too far in the camera. If you like seeing detail in the shadows then don't underexpose and push it up again at your desk. If you want cinematics, fly smooth in the first place and use the least ND filter you can get away with.

Reactions: JakeS and corvid
So you mean, keep the 3 variables to default and just shoot at DCINE or ART ?

Everyone is looking for the setting that makes everything look spectacular out of the box without any work. It's just not possible. Any type of digital image gathering takes manipulation when grading and finesse when editing. It was no different when we all shot on film. There is no magic bullet. Spend some time and learn the craft you'll be much better off for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake