DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sharpness, contract, saturation - Diwucssion!

networth

Reactions
I see many users discussing randomly about this settings and guess we should discuss in details here.

So well, after the new update, the dLog is really very detailed now and I'm getting amazing results now on dLog.

My sharpness contract and saturation is set to -1-1-1.

But I find many users saying -1-3-3, but I tried today with the new dLog and it looks like camcorder . Yeew.

So what do you use it and what settings you have kept it ?

Going to try new D-Log over Art next time but the thing to remember is there's no one setting 'best' for every situation.
If you have crisp sunshine turning down contrast and sharpness might be wise, on a dull day it will still look flat all on zero.
There are some examples of dramatic loss of detail resolution by dropping sharpness even to -1 and you can't always expect to recover even part of that.
Saturation can be tweaked up or down later with minimal negative consequences so don't see much point going super-low on that.

I find many users saying -1-3-3

Lots of early advice was to try to get this Mavic smartphone camera to do things the big cameras can do, like D-Log with aggressive de-sharpen, low-contrast. But the color depth and sampling is just way way way too low for all this destruction of the original data. You can't really get sharpness and saturation back; the colors are quantized and you get more flicker. At most, use -1 if you find it's too sharp or too contrasty, and use the color profile closest to the way you would want to grade the color.

I simulated the processing for D-Log or other aggressive color profiling. This is a bit exaggerated to show the effect of color quantization a little more clearly.

gRdJOTi.jpg

Once the final output is quantized like this, your video export features have a field day. It's a LOT easier to compress quantized data, but that can make the loss of original details even more apparent. The "watercolor trees" complaint is a good example of this.

Reactions: Former Member
It's too windy to fly here today but we have bright sunshine and D-Log test hand-held looks great - better than Art I'd say.
Nice LUTs to try are the one from DJI downloads for Phantom 3 or Phantom 4.
Also GoPro Protune one I have looks good with it.
My quick test was all on zero and no obvious problems but it is very sharp and -1 might be better with detailed stuff like fine tree branches.

Hi,

I just got my Mavic and I'm about to research what settings I should use. I was playing with the sharpness settings - default 0 and -1. The problem with lowering sharpness to -1 in my case is that in dark shadow soft gradients with sharpness set to -1 the h.264 codec compress the area with a lot of details lost (sorry for my english). While with default sharpness there is MUCH more detail in dark areas which you cannot recover from a -1 profile. So I'm curious if it would be better to desharpening the whole image in postprocess because if you send data from the chip with less sharpness the codec can loose much more information. Any thoughts? Here are two pictures grabbed from a two videos, the first one is sharpness 0 the second one is -1

Attachments

• sharpness0.png
    sharpness0.png
    509 KB · Views: 64
  • sharpness1.png
    sharpness1.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: JanWillemD

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads