DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shoot in 4k, 2.7k or 1080

Syphon

Reactions
Alright, I have been shooting in 4k but while editing, I have wanted to slow down some shots which at 30fps, it just looks too choppy.

I looked at filming in 1080 and bumping to a higher frame rate, but, I have heard that 1080 does not look very great.

I down sample most my footage from 4k to 1080p since I do not have a 4k TV and 1080 still looks amazing for what I am using it for.

Reactions: TerryJ
You did not mention trying the 2.7k option. It should ease up on the pressure to compress all the fine details out, and will still look better downsampled to 1080p when you want to.

In general, shooting at a higher resolution and downsampling will give better results than letting the camera try to do it. And hold on to the original footage files, you will buy a 4k TV in a few years and kick yourself for all your low-resolution footage of amazing scenery.

@halley almost bought a 4k TV this week just for the footage. Ive been archiving all my footage to an external hard drive unless it is useless footage. With the 2.7k option, you are still stuck int he 30fps mode. Is it worth it for the extra quality to take the loss in FPS?

@halley almost bought a 4k TV this week just for the footage. Ive been archiving all my footage to an external hard drive unless it is useless footage. With the 2.7k option, you are still stuck int he 30fps mode. Is it worth it for the extra quality to take the loss in FPS?
Anything above 30FPS on the Mavic looks terrible. I can't explain the technical reasons behind it but search for moire and aliasing for more details

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Honestly. I was disappointed to see the quality of the 1080 footage. It's rubbish.
The mavic pro isn't using the full sensor to create the 1080 shots rather it is using 1/4 of the sensor to creat it, which answer why the quality is so bad.

In your footage which is very similar to mind, i am having the same issue, worse at 1080 MP4 48fps. I am getting the ND filter , hope it can solve the problem!!
In theory it should rectify the problem as the aperture is constant at 2.2 which cause the shutter to jump up to 1/1000 and video take with 1/1000 never look good. I will use the ND filter to push it down to 1/60 which is ideal fps for video.

Aparantly , the Camera on the platinun has been upgraded.... according to this video,the footage on the platinun, the 1080 60fps is on point.... guessing there was a hardware problem:

In my opinion don’t shoot in anything but 4K I just traveled to Greece recently had turned my setting down so I could compress easier and post to social media now I came home and had the opportunity to sell tons of footage from over there but it wasn’t in 4K and that’s what any professional buyer will want

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore