DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shooting 4K, 4Gb files are you getting multiple files?

samd012

Reactions
I am hoping everyone here can reply here especially if you are not having this issue.

A group here on the forum (Thanks moustic) have found that when shooting in 4K when the file size on the card reaches 4Gb the Mavic makes a new file due to the limitations of the fat partition. This causes a very short (less than 1 second) delay between the files which can make that section of the video useless. It usually happens around the 9:06 minute mark.

Is everyone else having this issue?
If not how are your cards formatted?
Hoping there is a work around other than shooting in a lower resolution as that seems ridiculous.

It's a file system limitation. I'm not sure if formatting to exFat will work since that is a licensed file system that linux doesn't support.

It's a file system limitation. I'm not sure if formatting to exFat will work since that is a licensed file system that linux doesn't support.

I agree, it just seems utterly ridiculous if this is happening because of that and there is no work around. If the answer is that I need to watch my video time to make sure that I am not filming past the 9:06 interval mark that seems to be a major flaw in the design. I get it is a limitation of the file system and not a DJI issue but even there support knows nothing about this limitation.

I get it is a limitation of the file system and not a DJI issue but even there support knows nothing about this limitation.
The lost video is not a file system limitation. It is a known issue though.

So I sent DJI support an email and received a response. The correspondence is below:

Me:
I would like to bring attention to an interaction I had with DJI and DJI support which seems like nothing short of ridiculous. I have owned several DJI drones from the P2V+ through the Mavic. I was experienceing an issue with the Mavic when shooting in any 4K video mode where the video would very quickly stop and start at the 9:06 minute mark. After spending many hours figuring this out and working with support at DJI I was told that the unit would need to be sent in for repair. So after creating a repair ticket, the result is the Mavic would be going away for 4-6 weeks even though I have not even had the unit that long.
But that there is the issue! The drone did not need to go back to DJI. After more research it came to my attention that the file size on the memory card was reaching 4Gb which is a limitation of the file system format (FAT) used on the memory card in the unit. So here is what I have an issue with:
1. 4Gb file sizes when shooting in 4K are very common, why is this limitation built into drones that DJI has been building since the Phantom 3 Advanced 4K and not been addressd?
2. Why has DJI not made this issue or limitation known?
3. Why has DJI not addressed this? There are other manufacturers like GoPro that encounter this limitation but deal with it in a manner that there is a small overlap between video files so that it can be dealt with in post?
And last number 4. Why was I not informed about this known issue by DJI support which would have allowed me to not be without my $1000 investment for 4-6 weeks?

I will be the first to say that DJI makes exceptional products. The domination of the market that DJI now owns is due to its innovation and foresight. But now I am dealing with a useless line of events that should have never happened. I am very disappointed. As I am sure you already know the reputation of DJI support is an issue that DJI has struggled with for many years most likely due to its explosive growth but I am now being affected by it for no legitimate reason other than lack of communication between DJI and its support staff or DJI's support staff with me.

In closing I would like to express my disappointment with the way this entire issue has been handled by DJI. I feel that any customer dealt with in such an improper manner needs to be addressed. I only hope that DJI will try to address this immediately.

DJI Response:
Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We understand how frustrating it is for you.
We'll be happy to help you out with your concern.

We sincerely apologize for what happened with your drone and terrible experience you had.
Regarding the SD Card that DJI is using for every drone is Micro SD Card Class 10 USH-1 rating,
we apologize again because you were not informed about the details. Nevertheless, All SD Cards
has a limitation of certain gigabytes it can consume. For FAT it can consume up to 32GB
and writing speed should be more than 60Mbps. For EXFAT, it can consume up to 64GB.

However, it is recommended that you try to format your SD Card to able to record more videos.
For FAT size, you may format it to FAT32, cluster size 32KB. Don't worry, I've already made a follow up request regarding
your concern. We'll do our best to have this issue resolve as soon as possible and forward your concern
to higher level of support.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

I don't know what you guys are using as cards and software to edit your footage but for me the split files merge back seamlessly without any single frame missing, like with every other camera I've used that does this (which is nearly all of them).

Complete non-issue? At least not one on DJI's side, if there's any it's with your workflow.

Just tried again with 4 pairs of files in 2 different programs for the kicks to check I wasn't dreaming, and no I'm not.

Last edited:
Reactions: avanti1963
I don't know what you guys are using as cards and software to edit your footage but for me the split files merge back seamlessly without any single frame missing, like with every other camera I've used that does this (which is nearly all of them).

Complete non-issue? At least not one on DJI's side, if there's any it's with your workflow.

Just tried again with 4 pairs of files in 2 different programs for the kicks to check I wasn't dreaming, and no I'm not.

Yep... Same for me.
Yeah - What cards are you guys using?!

No problems there for me using the DJI supplied 16gb card. I also bought a couple of 16gb cards at my local supermarket - so cheapies - and the changeover is seamless.
My car dashcam actually replays about half a second and that can be annoying but you can edit it out if needed. But the DJI files on the Mavic are completely seamless for me. They change at 00:09:05 not 00:09:06.

I use final cut pro and there is gap although very slight which of you put a digital stop watch in front of the camera when it happens you will see. Maybe on 1080 you cant see it but when you start getting up to 4k you do. Other vendors make an overlap not a gap.

Always seamless stitching in post filming 4K 30FPS on three different MicroSD cards (mostly 64GB SanDisk Extreme U3).

To be clear, the 4GB file limitation doesn't mean the Mavic stops recording at 4GB, it just means the a new file is started which should start with the very next frame.

In this video I had three files from 20 minutes of continuous recording. Dropped them into an Premiere and they played back as one 20 min video (I then increased the playback 800% or so to make it 10 sec long). Checked other videos frame by frame and also seamless between files in Premiere.

Same in 64GB version.

Final Cut does a little stutter when playing the timeline for me, but that's probably a buffering problem with FCP and is not present in the rendered video. Premiere buffers things correctly and the timeline playback is smooth. Joining the files with Avidemux prior to use shows no gap or stutter.

That's all in 4K of course.

Same in 64GB version.

Final Cut does a little stutter when playing the timeline for me, but that's probably a buffering problem with FCP and is not present in the rendered video. Premiere buffers things correctly and the timeline playback is smooth. Joining the files with Avidemux prior to use shows no gap or stutter.

That's all in 4K of course.

I will give it a go, thanks. I never heard of the software but love learning new ways to do things.
Appreciate your feedback

Same here - just using Premiere Elements timeline playback is seamless between clips and the final render is fine too.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11