DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I cal compass? (It has been around the world)

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi,
My mavic got sent to NY from China and then was sent over to the UK. when i first flew there were no onscreen prompts to calibrate the compass. I have flown it 6 times now. Apart from one flight it seems to be behaving normally. Should I force a calibration? or should I leave something that is working ok alone? Thanks

It's funny. I've had 4 dji drones. I've always calibrated the compas before each flight. Always. Never had an issue. I've done that calibration dance a hundred times. Since getting the Mavic and getting involved with this forum, I've learned that I don't need to. So I haven't. I feel a little uncomfortable with it, but it is great to just turn it on and fly.

That said, given what you wrote, I would definitely calibrate it. As my grandfather would have said, "couldn't huyt".

Yes I would calibrate the Compass, somewhere away from metal and concrete, an open field.
Compass calibration should be carried out whenever you move a good distance, some say 20 miles, others 100 but either way it will do no harm (only good) to calibrate the compass. Sometimes it may be too late when you find out that despite it stating it is ok it actually was not. The IMU is a different matter, calibrating this should really be a last resort to solving issues you may be experiencing and the correct procedures followed to do so.

It's funny. I've had 4 dji drones. I've always calibrated the compas before each flight. Always. Never had an issue. I've done that calibration dance a hundred times. Since getting the Mavic and getting involved with this forum, I've learned that I don't need to. So I haven't. I feel a little uncomfortable with it, but it is great to just turn it on and fly.

That said, given what you wrote, I would definitely calibrate it. As my grandfather would have said, "couldn't huyt".

You should calibrate the compass if you move a certain distance. Whoever is posting not to is not correct. It is a different matter with regards to the IMU as since the Mavic, DJI are calibrating the IMU under 'ideal' conditions, so that should be a last resort.

ok, thanks. im not sure how to force it but im sure if i dig around in the settings ill find it. thanks

Hi,
My mavic got sent to NY from China and then was sent over to the UK. when i first flew there were no onscreen prompts to calibrate the compass. I have flown it 6 times now. Apart from one flight it seems to be behaving normally. Should I force a calibration? or should I leave something that is working ok alone? Thanks

I have not calibrated anything and have completed two FW updates since receiving my drone everything works just fine I have been testing the features of the Mavic and I am very impressed with the RTH accuracy every time I tested this even in windy conditions it returned back to within 5 inches of the take off point.

I have flown in a few different locations at least 150 miles apart.

The thing is Anthony, you may only find out once it is too late fella. There is nothing wrong with calibrating the compass, it can only help (well unless you do it near metal or magnets lol)

And, calibrating the compass is kind of fun. Do a little dance of celebration with your drone before sending it up into the sky. And, if you're with someone who is interested in watching, it's fun to let them do it.

Reactions: Anthony
And, calibrating the compass is kind of fun. Do a little dance of celebration with your drone before sending it up into the sky. And, if you're with someone who is interested in watching, it's fun to let them do it.

Lol :)

The thing is Anthony, you may only find out once it is too late fella. There is nothing wrong with calibrating the compass, it can only help (well unless you do it near metal or magnets lol)

Im not saying don't do it chippie ... before taking off and the drone is on my landing pad with the rotors running I always take a look at the compass readings etc and so far they have been green with no prompts from the app to calibrate so I just haven't done any that's all ... I am sure the day will come when I need to and I will be that guy dancing in the middle of a field :)

Reactions: chippie
Calibration of the compass and the IMU should only be done when the aircraft requests that you do so. You can view their values and see that they are stable. The old advice is just that, old. Better, more reliable, equipment that can self-check for status.

You don't see them spinning a triple seven around on the runway before it takes off.

Im not saying don't do it chippie ... before taking off and the drone is on my landing pad with the rotors running I always take a look at the compass readings etc and so far they have been green with no prompts from the app to calibrate so I just haven't done any that's all ... I am sure the day will come when I need to and I will be that guy dancing in the middle of a field :)
i understand and that is what everyone should do unless you are CN that is :)

However I would still calibrate after moving location, simply because despite what it may show you on the ground, you never know what might happen once it is up.
It is just best practice followed by people with years of experience with these things. Perhaps once the f/w has settled down things might be different though but with all the changes I would simply not risk not calibrating the compass. We have different views and that's cool, I am not advocating doing something that can have an adverse effect on the Mavic, only something that can be beneficial. It is great that you have not had any issues but this is based on your Mavic and the areas you have flown in, others may not be so lucky and with the unknown, I would recommend calibrating it, that's all :)

Calibration of the compass and the IMU should only be done when the aircraft requests that you do so. You can view their values and see that they are stable. The old advice is just that, old. Better, more reliable, equipment that can self-check for status.

You don't see them spinning a triple seven around on the runway before it takes off.
The IMU yes, this is a last resort but the compass is a different matter. This comes from 'proper' DJI support people based in the US who have been in the game for a long time and helped beta the Mavic itself. Each to their own of course, I am simply trying to put out there that calibrating the compass has no adverse effect if done properly, it can only help you should any interference occur once airborne.

When you calibrate the compass, should you stand in one spot and spin the Mavic around you or should you keep the Mavic in place, holding it and walking around it to spin it? Does it even make a difference? LOL

Does it even make a difference?
No. I think it's easier/safer to hold the Mavic still and walk around it, so that's what I do.

Reactions: Bobaloo
The IMU yes, this is a last resort but the compass is a different matter. This comes from 'proper' DJI support people based in the US who have been in the game for a long time and helped beta the Mavic itself. Each to their own of course, I am simply trying to put out there that calibrating the compass has no adverse effect if done properly, it can only help you should any interference occur once airborne.

DJI Support does not advocate calibration of anything unless requested to do so by the app.

DJI Support does not advocate calibration of anything unless requested to do so by the app.
It really depends on who you talk to in DJI support. Some members of support are more knowledgeable than others.

FWIW, the compass should always be calibrated before your first flight and after installing new firmware (even if DJI GO doesn't prompt you to do so).

It really depends on who you talk to in DJI support. Some members of support are more knowledgeable than others.

FWIW, the compass should always be calibrated before your first flight and after installing new firmware (even if DJI GO doesn't prompt you to do so).

This is my point - says who? This was certainly prudent before you had visibility into compass values, and even moreso when there was only a single compass. This is no longer advised by the manufacturer. If you're in a known good environment, then there's little downside to a recalibration if you feel the need to do so, but many people don't know where the environment is good or not, and then you have people who do it before every flight, which is ridiculous and prone to error.

If you remember the actual flyaway days, every single story started with "so I just calibrated my compass..."

Reactions: Logger
It's always worth a quick check of the state of sensors in the app.
It's easy now you just have green indicators which grow into yellow then red presumably.
Magnetic field varies by several degrees around the globe so got to be best advice to do it - considering it was initially set up in China. Your location may or may not be near enough the same - but why guess - it's easy to do and takes about two minutes.
Once you have a *good* calibration at your main location it's unlikely you'll need do it again for weeks unless you travel hundreds of miles.

An Overview of the Earth's Magnetic Field

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11