DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I dive in on the Mavic (P4 Owner)

kaitlyn

Reactions
I just sold my Phantom 4 today. I got it middle of last year, and enjoyed it. I mostly do it for photography, but have starting getting video footage as well (haven't put anything together though)

As an avid photographer, by far my biggest gripe with the P4 was the size. I was always figuring out how I'd go out to photograph somewhere with both tools, or which I would bring on which occasion.

The Mavic seems to solve that massive problem. Unfortunately, especially as a photographer, the camera quality seems to have not improved, if not even be less than the P4. But my oh my the portability - I can absolutely bring it on trips with me and I don't have to think about it as much.

As a recent P4 owner, is getting the Mavic a good choice or should I hold off for a successor? I am going to AUS+NZ soon and would love to bring the mavic with me... but I want to like it too :)

Also got an email today that orders have opened up again (no longer "preorder")

Welcome to the forum, it's probably a safe bet that given this is the Mavic Forum that you're likely to find everyone saying yes. Overall my opinion as an ex P3P owner is that the Camera isn't quite as good on the mavic but this is made up for by the excellent portability you mention which makes it a great option for vacations like you're planning.

As a previous P3 owner, the first time I decided to take the Mavic out for a shoot it didn't feel right. Usually going out with the P3, it felt like an event, with the Mavic, it's grab and go. No big bulky case, no long (ish) set up times. From a portability perspective, I'd say you'd be extremely happy with the Mavic. The camera isn't the best but unless you're doing commercial work, it's 100% adequate for hobby and vacation shooting. Mind you the camera isn't bad. There are plenty of Mavic videos on YouTube right now for you to peruse to see if you can live with the quality.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: McMavic
Have both and they compliment each other very well for what I use them for.
Do 90% of my flying and video shooting using FPV Camera with excellent results including lots of long range missions.
Just took the Mavic along a trip to the Alps getting excellent photo and video recordings.
Have over 120 flights on the Mavic with cero problems. It took me some time to get camera settings the way I wanted and recording in sunny conditions a sunshade and filter is a must if you want to keep editing down and improve video quality.
In general I still have to do more editing on videos taken with the Mavic compared to the P4.
Overall I am super happy with my Mavic Pro

Had a P3 for a week until I the effort and awkwardness of it made me put it on Ebay. The Mavic on the other hand... I want to take it everywhere!

Camera quality for me is perfect and the little bugger is so portable I tend to forget it's even in the backpack. Set up is so quick too.

The gf is a photographer and she had a look at the camera settings on the app and was mighty impressed. I'd say if you learned to fiddle with them correctly you'd come out with the results you're looking for :)

YES! the Mavic will be an excellent upgrade for you in term of portability and traveling. The pictures quality is exceptional, better than the P3 and P4 in my opinion. I am a photographer as well. You can see some of the shots I've taken with the Mavic here: www.instagram.com/henry_do

YES! the Mavic will be an excellent upgrade for you in term of portability and traveling. The pictures quality is exceptional, better than the P3 and P4 in my opinion. I am a photographer as well. You can see some of the shots I've taken with the Mavic here: www.instagram.com/henry_do
@*ICE* Were all those wonderful shots on your instagram page taken with the Mavic?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu