DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my Mavic? Is this image quality normal?

simonsouth

Reactions
I am really frustrated with my Mavic Pro. The video quality is super bad, I have attached a screenshot and here (Dropbox - DJI_0008.MOV) is the video file.

The settings are
- 4K 24fps (3840x2160)
- MOV format
- White balance custom 7000k
- Style +1 -2 0

I am shocked by the amount of noise/aliasing. It really has nothing in common with the great footage I've seen elsewhere. I've ordered a set of filters so I can shoot with 1/50 shutter speed when it's really bright outside.

But I don't know, that can't really be it. What do you guys think? Do you think there is something wrong with my camera?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• mavic.jpg
    mavic.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 98
That looks to me like the video that caches to the DJI Go app on your smartphone or tablet, not the high quality file that's recorded to the microSD card in the Mavic. Where did you download the file from?

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Was the camera cover on?

ISO?

--

Edit: I think this is user error after watching the video. OP is shooting into the sun and the sky blew and ruined the rest of the frame. The biggest criticism I've seen of the Mavic's camera is that it doesn't have great dynamic range. I did a ****** job fixing this in post, here: MEGA

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I really hope it's a user error. It was shot at 100 ISO. Videos with the sun in the background look equally as ****. I'll try to play around with the settings and the filters and hope for the best.

I downloaded your image and noticed that the rez was only 3384, not the full 3.8 or 4K.

A few thoughts:
This is a lot of noise, and to me it looks like a combination of noise and jpeg compression artifacting.
Try resetting the camera in DJI Go.
Not directly related to the noise issue, but the image looks washed out. I would try bumping the contrast to 0.

Just to test the camera itself, try capturing a raw image and see what that looks like in Photoshop. That should be just about noise free.

Hey geigy that's a great idea taking a raw image and also resetting the camera! Yeah I screenshotted the image from the video to have a smaller file size but it looks just as bad in full 4K.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest