DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shout out to all "Professional" Mavic users

I don't think we will see drones being used for pursuit until we get better battery life. I do think it will happen, but prolly not during my career.

What about a pair of operators that could trade out being in an operating area? That way there was always someone in the sky. With enough batteries they could cover a pretty large area from a tower or rooftop. Wouldn't that be far more cost effective than a helicopter. With the added benefit that the suspect might not notice surveillance. What about the ability for one patrol unit to provide support for another? The Mavic is pretty affordable considering what the state shells out for radios every few years. The 4 mile radius is what makes this seem realistic to me, especially if it could be interchangeable with IR lenses .

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

How is everyone studying for the test? Are you taking an online course or is there study material readily available? How long does it take to prepare for the test?

How is everyone studying for the test? Are you taking an online course or is there study material readily available? How long does it take to prepare for the test?

I took the course drone ground school. They had a good sale during the holidays. Was very happy with their courses and practice tests. Learned a lot!

Yes, there is a lot of study material available. Download or buy a copy of the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Go to the FAA website and search for the Remote Pilot Study Guide.PDF. Then download and take the UAG Sample Exam.PDF. Once you get the basic principals down, the questions are pretty much straight out of the studied materials.

Amount of time: Depends on how quick you learn and how much previous aeronautical experience you have, but allow yourself a couple of weeks.

Also, keep in mind they have around a 90% pass rate, so be prepared, but don't sweat it too much.

I applaud all commercial pilots flying drones in the US. On a day to day basis I see unqualified pilots with Mavics disregarding the FAA guidelines and creating some great footage that is then used as a show reel to promote an unlicensed business of some sort. The FAA seem like they don't give a shoot so why should you??

...flysafe.club for pilots that care!!

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I applaud all commercial pilots flying drones in the US. On a day to day basis I see unqualified pilots with Mavics disregarding the FAA guidelines and creating some great footage that is then used as a show reel to promote an unlicensed business of some sort. The FAA seem like they don't give a shoot so why should you??

...flysafe.club for pilots that care!!

Its not that they don't care, they just don't have the manpower to be consistent. You are more likely to be caught by a local police officer acting under some city ordnance.

Reactions: UAV Man
I took my test on Saturday and passed. I used a free study guide I found online and watched a few YouTube videos. I have no previous flight knowledge so it was pretty tough. I have no affiliation to this firm but I would not have passed without this study guide. How to Get Your Drone License to Make Money - Step-by-Step Guide..
There were a few questions I did not see in study marerials.
*What does FAA do if pilot is convicted of marijuana use?
* Definition of "ceiling" related to clouds.
* P.A.V.E. meaning
* Make sure you know how to determine MISL and AGL on charts
* Distance away from clouds for flight.
* Know which frequency in the chart is tower and which is common talk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app

I took my test on Saturday and passed. I used a free study guide I found online and watched a few YouTube videos. I have no previous flight knowledge so it was pretty tough. I have no affiliation to this firm but I would not have passed without this study guide. How to Get Your Drone License to Make Money - Step-by-Step Guide..
There were a few questions I did not see in study marerials.
*What does FAA do if pilot is convicted of marijuana use?
* Definition of "ceiling" related to clouds.
* P.A.V.E. meaning
* Make sure you know how to determine MISL and AGL on charts
* Distance away from clouds for flight.
* Know which frequency in the chart is tower and which is common talk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app
Congrats for passing and becoming a pilot! Feels good doesn't it? Even though we have to jump through a few hoops it's nice to know we are legal.

Reactions: Ebruce

I'd say give yourself a month and do an hour of work each day with the last week being taking various practice tests over and over again.

Reactions: GreatScott
I mean professional in the sense that you are certified, and/or licensed to use your Mavic commercially, wherever you are. This is not meant to judge the ability or skill of anyone, as I know there are pilots out there better than me, just not doing it for money.

Being that commercial operators have a unique set of challenges and issues I thought it might be helpful to have a place to discuss and solve some of those challenges and issues. Also might be helpful to anyone thinking of going that route, and has not yet done so.

I suspect quite a few folks, such as myself, are using the Mavic as a supplement to other equipment, but some also as their primary tool... nothing wrong with that either, as the machine has a pretty impressive set of specs.

This might be a place we could discuss issues unique to our profession with regard to improving techniques laws and operations, and just how well the Mavic is fitting in.

So, to start, I would love to hear from commercial Mavic users, their certification and where they are from.

Especially interested in hearing from commercial users in the state of NC, U.S. as that is where I am from, and we have our own set of issues here.
I mean professional in the sense that you are certified, and/or licensed to use your Mavic commercially, wherever you are. This is not meant to judge the ability or skill of anyone, as I know there are pilots out there better than me, just not doing it for money.

Being that commercial operators have a unique set of challenges and issues I thought it might be helpful to have a place to discuss and solve some of those challenges and issues. Also might be helpful to anyone thinking of going that route, and has not yet done so.

I suspect quite a few folks, such as myself, are using the Mavic as a supplement to other equipment, but some also as their primary tool... nothing wrong with that either, as the machine has a pretty impressive set of specs.

This might be a place we could discuss issues unique to our profession with regard to improving techniques laws and operations, and just how well the Mavic is fitting in.

So, to start, I would love to hear from commercial Mavic users, their certification and where they are from.

Especially interested in hearing from commercial users in the state of NC, U.S. as that is where I am from, and we have our own set of issues here.
I'm an FAA Certified SUAS pilot in RTP area of NC, with Night Operations Endorsement from Gold Seal. Pre-ordered my Mavic first day available. Photography is my main passion. I have been a part time professional photographer for several years. (Can't make a living at it) specializing in Architectural and fine art. I am also a Real Estate Broker and General Contractor. Was ready to start making presentations to RE company weekly meetings when my Mavic became unusable last month just as I had enough flying experience to feel confident to sell my services. Video feed garbled more than half the time, multiple warnings - Compass Error, No GPS while showing 16 satellites, disconnects, app crashes. Downgrading back to version .0400 firmware did not solve the problem. So commercial work is impossible right now and no real help from DJI. Just started a poll to see if the many others with similar problems were also among the first delivered product.

I'm an FAA Certified SUAS pilot in RTP area of NC, with Night Operations Endorsement from Gold Seal. Pre-ordered my Mavic first day available. Photography is my main passion. I have been a part time professional photographer for several years. (Can't make a living at it) specializing in Architectural and fine art. I am also a Real Estate Broker and General Contractor. Was ready to start making presentations to RE company weekly meetings when my Mavic became unusable last month just as I had enough flying experience to feel confident to sell my services. Video feed garbled more than half the time, multiple warnings - Compass Error, No GPS while showing 16 satellites, disconnects, app crashes. Downgrading back to version .0400 firmware did not solve the problem. So commercial work is impossible right now and no real help from DJI. Just started a poll to see if the many others with similar problems were also among the first delivered product.
Man, sorry to hear your Mavic is having so many issues.

I've recently started using mine for commercial work and have been quite pleased.

Hope you get it worked out soon.

Reactions: jhansen
I will be taking my 107 in about 2 weeks. Currently own a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic and an Osmo + with X3 camera.
When I get my certification I intend to fly commercially, for this I am going to acquire an Inspire.
Looking for any suggestions and ideas, I will be sharing my experiences and any challenges I encounter in the way.

I will be taking my 107 in about 2 weeks. Currently own a Phantom 4 Pro, a Mavic and an Osmo + with X3 camera.
When I get my certification I intend to fly commercially, for this I am going to acquire an Inspire.
Looking for any suggestions and ideas, I will be sharing my experiences and any challenges I encounter in the way.
Good luck and keep us informed!

Took the knowledge test yesterday and passed with 90%. Felt really good to get that done, but I'm still irked that I answered 6 questions wrong.
This morning I let my firm know that I passed, and already have three potential jobs to do for work (I'm a commercial architect). Looks like I might get to play more often, while getting paid for it!

Last edited:
Took the knowledge test yesterday and passed with 90°. Felt really good to get that done, but I'm still irked that I answered 6 questions wrong.
This morning I let my firm know that I passed, and already have three potential jobs to do for work (I'm a commercial architect). Looks like I might get to play more often, while getting paid for it!
Congratulations. Now you get to look forward to that pretty green holographic pilot certificate!
Seriously, try to enjoy the privileges, and good luck.

After a year of owning/flying a Phantom 3 Pro, I decided to go for my license. I learned about RemotePilot101 from these boards, took that course, and made a 92 on the knowledge test. I fretted over whether to add a P4P to my collection or go with the Mavic; I chose the Mavic and love it. I find it to be as stable as a ROCK, hanging in the air almost perfectly still when I choose to hover. Several here and elsewhere advised that the P4 is the better choice if you are really concerned about video quality, but I have not found the Mavic lacking.
Thanks to the generous advice from many on this board, I have learned how to use filters; I use the Taco-RC ND filter set and getting better at ISO 100 and hitting the shutter speed target of "twice the framerate" (4K/30 fps, shutter speed 1/60). I am getting pretty good at video editing using Adobe Premiere Elements 15; I know there are plenty of options out there, many of them better, but it suits me just fine.
I am in Georgia but work across the state line in Tennessee; I am attempting to start a small commercial sideline, doing business as NW GA Drone Guy (see YouTube and Facebook by that name).
I have moments of ANGER at non-licensed flyers breaking all of the rules just to get the really cool shots. Even though I hear many say that I can fly as a "hobbyist" any time I want, I still tend to stay within the section 107 rules. Like others have said, we as certified remote pilots have done our part. Now, it's time for the FAA to find ways to enforce regulations. Otherwise, people like you and me will be giving up our licenses when they become somewhat worthless as non-licensed pilots encroach on any money-making that may be out there.
And . . . I just LOVE flying these things!!!

After a year of owning/flying a Phantom 3 Pro, I decided to go for my license. I learned about RemotePilot101 from these boards, took that course, and made a 92 on the knowledge test. I fretted over whether to add a P4P to my collection or go with the Mavic; I chose the Mavic and love it. I find it to be as stable as a ROCK, hanging in the air almost perfectly still when I choose to hover. Several here and elsewhere advised that the P4 is the better choice if you are really concerned about video quality, but I have not found the Mavic lacking.
Thanks to the generous advice from many on this board, I have learned how to use filters; I use the Taco-RC ND filter set and getting better at ISO 100 and hitting the shutter speed target of "twice the framerate" (4K/30 fps, shutter speed 1/60). I am getting pretty good at video editing using Adobe Premiere Elements 15; I know there are plenty of options out there, many of them better, but it suits me just fine.
I am in Georgia but work across the state line in Tennessee; I am attempting to start a small commercial sideline, doing business as NW GA Drone Guy (see YouTube and Facebook by that name).
I have moments of ANGER at non-licensed flyers breaking all of the rules just to get the really cool shots. Even though I hear many say that I can fly as a "hobbyist" any time I want, I still tend to stay within the section 107 rules. Like others have said, we as certified remote pilots have done our part. Now, it's time for the FAA to find ways to enforce regulations. Otherwise, people like you and me will be giving up our licenses when they become somewhat worthless as non-licensed pilots encroach on any money-making that may be out there.
And . . . I just LOVE flying these things!!!
Congratulations to you, and kudos for doing what you love and doing it correctly. We are facing a headwind at times and the feds don't always do their part after all our hard work. We are pioneering a new industry and I still believe that we will benefit in the long run for doing the right thing. Best of wishes to you and your career, however big or small.

Is anyone doing anything agricultural wise with theirs? Surveys, crops, weeds/pests, livestock monitoring, irrigation and drainage? That sort of thing.

Just wondering

Hi everyone
Found this thread and have a couple questions if you could please chime in.

Short story:
My wife is a real estate broker. I do all her marketing and content creation from photo shoots to videos. Figured the next step would be to get the drone.

After doing the research it obviously is more complicated to actually perform this service from FAA requirements for commercial use. I completely understand the need to get the 107 certificate and would be happy to go through testing. But there are a lot of airports, a lot. Everywhere. Small and large. Can't fly within 5 miles. I know it is possible to operate within airport airspace after getting ATF approval. Online I was reading you could call them directly and get approval. Seems okay. But, I was viewing Tony Northrups training video and it no longer is okay to call. You have to go through the FAA and then they mediate it. And it takes 90 days get an okay. This won't work for real estate videos/photos.

How do you pro's deal with this? Are there quicker ways to get approval?

I appreciate the honest perspective. Thanks

Can anyone tell me who is going to ensure that you have a 107 certificate? I mean if someone was to just do some real estate work who's going to enforce these rules. It's not like a buzzer goes off the minute you take flight. I'm just curious.

A reputable real estate company may want to see your proof of liability insurance. In order to get that insurance (to fly for $$) you will have to provide proof of your part 107 certification. If you do accept a 'for hire' assignment and something goes wrong resulting in an accident or law enforcement action and you don't have a part 107....yes, a big buzzer will go off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7