DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutdown airports.

MarcoPolo

Reactions
FAA Regulations state airport/tower notification is required when flying within 5 miles of an airport, however what happens if it's a smaller regional airport, class D airspace, where the tower/airport shuts down at a given time?

Discussing this with a friend he researched and found that the airspace reverts to uncontrolled, but does this nullify the requirement to notify?

Sec. 336. special rule for model aircraft says exactly this...

when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

SOURCE: https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Sec_331_336_UAS.pdf

Additionally, here is a link to an FAQ with questions regarding towers - Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help

FAA Regulations state airport/tower notification is required when flying within 5 miles of an airport, however what happens if it's a smaller regional airport, class D airspace, where the tower/airport shuts down at a given time?

Discussing this with a friend he researched and found that the airspace reverts to uncontrolled, but does this nullify the requirement to notify?
This was a question on the test that I passed on Friday. :D

AIM 3-2-5: Class D Airspace says…
At those airports where the control tower does not operate 24 hours a day, the operating hours of the tower will be listed on the appropriate charts and in the A/FD. During the hours the tower is not in operation, the Class E surface area rules or a combination of Class E rules to 700 feet above ground level and Class G rules to the surface will become applicable. Check the A/FD for specifics.”

So the answer to your question is yes. You don't need to notify a tower that is closed - there would be nobody there to notify.

This was a question on the test that I passed on Friday. :D

AIM 3-2-5: Class D Airspace says…
At those airports where the control tower does not operate 24 hours a day, the operating hours of the tower will be listed on the appropriate charts and in the A/FD. During the hours the tower is not in operation, the Class E surface area rules or a combination of Class E rules to 700 feet above ground level and Class G rules to the surface will become applicable. Check the A/FD for specifics.”

So the answer to your question is yes. You don't need to notify a tower that is closed - there would be nobody there to notify.

Thanks much for the info.

Thanks much for the info.

I don't believe this is accurate information. The airspace change class only affects part 107 operations which is why it's on the test. A hobbyist is still bound by the notification rules prior to flying within five miles of the airport.

I don't believe this is accurate information. The airspace change class only affects part 107 operations which is why it's on the test. A hobbyist is still bound by the notification rules prior to flying within five miles of the airport.

How do you contact when no one is there?

Great post. Still waiting for my mavic but... Ive used the b4ufly website and it appears there are hundreds of airports in every spot i want to fly. I mean like joe bobs hanger and crap like this. Look im in no way going endanger a pilot but come on. Aside from the obvious major minor airports im not planning on contacting every grass field on the map. Too me its almost thee faa way of saying you cant fly your drone anywhere

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll