DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal lost and fail to RTH, crashed near 1400m away

.. further to my earlier.
Your initial signal loss lasted ~ 2min 10 seconds. Upon reconnect drone had commenced RTH and was coming back (into wind) at ~11mph. Over the next 15seconds it slowed to about 5mph probably due to a gust. At this point first user input in, Full forward elevator to speed up. This had little to no effect, most probably because mavic was already at the nose down pitch limit. For about the next three minutes it flew along in RTH mode with full nose down elevator most of the time and small amounts of aileron causing the path to zigzag a bit. Unfortunately full nose down elevator had little effect in increasing the speed, until towards the end, when it increased briefly to 16mph and then dropped back to 11mph. Changing wind strength I suspect.

Then at 290 feet atlitude and 13% battery, Critical battery auto-land commenced. Aileron input to slew across toward river bank.15 seconds after this, while on forced descent first rudder input to turn, ~ 90 degrees to right to spot landing beside River. (nice Move). As full forward pitch was also still being applied and heading path was now crosswind and downwind again, speeds up to 24 mph were achieved. 10 sec prior to end of recording stick released one would assume because in OK spot to land. signal loss at 110 feet.

Here is a better image of the last part. You can see the first straight part of the RTH. Then path starts to wiggle once full elevator and small amounts of aileron are added.
View attachment 10257

the Mavic never left Return to Home mode until Autoland commenced. Mode swtich was in Sport. Had RTH been cancelled and Sports mode become active, increased pitch and therefore speed should have become available

As @Cyberpower678 mentioned the original TXT file from the app or the DAT from aircraft will reveal more if you are interested. It would confirm you were at the pitch limit and so on. But really I would say you were defeated by the strong wind.

Simplest way to get the text file is download it from Airdata and then post the files.

View attachment 10258

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful analysis, I couldn't agree any more. I didn't realize the wind speed could be much stronger than where I was standing at the homepoint. But I am concerning about the signal loss which is wired ( less than 2 km away). Because of the signal loss, I couldn't understand the drone status and it could waste of too much battery power to keep it away from the auto-landing. It might be my fault to underestimate the wind speed, but should I contact DJI?

im doing to change the settings on my drone so it automatically lands at 5% vs the 15%.

makes no sense to autoland at 15

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929