DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins for Mavic.

The Decalgirl wrap is for the trash and I'm going to try the Matt army green from dronewrap and apply some acrylic paint. Less risk than painting a Mavic and no different really than painting the model aircraft kits I'd have hanging from the ceiling when I was younger.

Well that is true, just make sure to cover the vents and a good spray can do the trick

does anyone know a good place to order some decals? i would like to put some decals on top of my skin.
As yo probably noticed by now I love the F-14 tomcat and would loke to have the Jolly rogers and other markings in my mavic.

does anyone know a good place to order some decals? i would like to put some decals on top of my skin.
As yo probably noticed by now I love the F-14 tomcat and would loke to have the Jolly rogers and other markings in my mavic.

Check out Dylan Young on YouTube. He does some pretty cool decals and can even colour-match the gold. Only reason I'm not ordering is because I really want a skin from DroneWrap

I ordered a skin set from decalgirl.com and it came with 2 additional skins for the extra 2 batteries. Total shipped cost was under $30. The 2 extra battery skins did NOT align properly with the skin on the body so I called them and talked to a very nice woman there and she told me that when you provide a design of your own, which I did, they do no editing whatsoever. She patiently showed me how to get back into my account and modify the extra skins for the batteries so that the lines all match up and they sent them out to me for just the cost of shipping ($2.65). Yay!
I was very pleased with the installation of the skins and I like the look a lot. The original dark gray blends into the background so quickly it disappears from eyeball view way to fast, especially if below the horizon. This color pattern makes it MUCH more visible while also being representative of my German heritage.:p
Here's the result
20170222_132442.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Decalgirl skin and thought the fitment was great! I ordered it from my phone and at the time and didn't realize the default finish was a matte finish (I wanted glossy). The matte finish looks less impressive as it brings out the fact that it's a print (vs. looking like a paint job). I ordered a glossy custom skin today and am looking forward to receiving it. I'll post an update once it's on my Mavic. In the meantime, here's my current skin.

6849d5621fe745d87e90f0b4ab1f9a2c.jpg
Hey were did you get the landing gear ? I likely a lot do they have black?

Sure! I did a test print today and compared the printoff to the top of the mavic..unfortunately it's not scaled properly. I'm working on resizing it, hopefully I'll have it finished tomorrow! Dunno if the OP of the template zoomed it but shouldn't be hard to correct.
Hello,
I bought Ashland Aerial file and printed in black matte.
I used those vinil - I don't know how it is called in english - those you use for logos in glass doors for example...

Here is the result.

I tried DecaGirl and iCarbons before.

This is much lighter and look better. thanks Ashland Aerial.

f4d36bed3f972fb3a4ea10f934a50873.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Hello,
Did you have to resize your PDF from Ashland? The one I bought is way too small and I'm not sure of the percentage to enlarge. Can't seem to locate the info and the owner is away this weekend, thanks for any info you have

The camo skin a few posts up is mine from Decalgirl. My problem is that the self design tool doesn't allow a proper flow across the drone . Where they offset parts 'to optimise' the cut I've ended up with a spoilt design hence going to a matt base cut and I'll find some paint that sticks to put on over the top.

Granted it is difficult but it is possible to get the arms to flow, the template does tell you which arms are which but I had the benefit of a Decalgirl skin already on my Mavic so I could identify which piece went where. This is my next design which is on its way over from the US. No Mavic here atm either as it's with DJI but I will post up a photo when they get it together.. :)

capture.jpg

Hello,

Hello,
Did you have to resize your PDF from Ashland? The one I bought is way too small and I'm not sure of the percentage to enlarge. Can't seem to locate the info and the owner is away this weekend, thanks for any info you have

nope...i print as it is 100%

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Anyone had the Stealth Black from DroneWrap please? I have had numerous matte skins before and EVERY single one of them shows up marks and scuffs extremely easily, even a Japanese YT vid I saw seems to show this with this finish. So am asking for any personal experiences with the Stealth Black, does it really exhibit the same behavior please?

Also my primary reason for applying a skin is to protect the finish of the Mavic itself, looking as how the DW skins can easily be wrapped around edges etc. how much protection do you feel they actually offer? To be this flexible they must also be pretty thin in comparison to those who do not do this. Any comments/views please?

I appreciate that the DW skins offer the most coverage on the Mavic but that also comes at a pretty high premium so would be great to hear from people who may have had a few brands, bearing in mind that protection is my my #1 goal here.

Thanks chaps! Thumbswayup:)

I received my custom wrap from Decalgirl today. Let me just say, the glossy skin is SO much nicer!!! Having had a matte camo skin already (see a few posts back), i was able to carefully align the text i wanted to include. The only part that didn't come out quite right is the numbers on the batteries. They were centered with the lights and power button on the computer screen, but they're slightly off in the print. I can live with it though because it came out so awesome!! I manipulated the design as well. It's one of theirs, but i resized it and rotated it a bit. Do yourself a favor and get the glossy skin over matte (you need to select it at checkout, from a computer. The first time I ordered was from my phone which is why I didn't see all the options). Hope this helps someone out.

4153dab65d75fe420b3732a9a980a31b.jpg

Hey were did you get the landing gear ? I likely a lot do they have black?
I searched for "Mavic legs" on www.thingiverse.com and found this: MAVIC LEGS ∀-V2 by Digson

I downloaded the files and went to www.3Dhubs.com to find someone local who could print them for me.

There's a comment on thingiverse that wasn't there when I ordered, but it's accurate. It refers to the front legs being too wide in the opening. They basically fall right off if left as is. I added a small piece of soft Velcro to the inside and that added just enough thickness to make them tighter. The main reason i got these is because the back leg has an opening in it and acts as a handle making it really easy to hand launch our hand catch. We'll have to wait to see how well they hold up.

EDIT: I just noticed you can get them on eBay as well: mavic pro extended legs only 3d prints | eBay

df057975a01d4de439281acdb292dcc3.jpg

Last edited:
I received my custom wrap from Decalgirl today. Let me just say, the glossy skin is SO much nicer!!! Having had a matte camo skin already (see a few posts back), i was able to carefully align the text i wanted to include. The only part that didn't come out quite right is the numbers on the batteries. They were centered with the lights and power button on the computer screen, but they're slightly off in the print. I can live with it though because it came out so awesome!! I manipulated the design as well. It's one of theirs, but i resized it and rotated it a bit. Do yourself a favor and get the glossy skin over matte (you need to select it at checkout, from a computer. The first time I ordered was from my phone which is why I didn't see all the options). Hope this helps someone out.

Nice! I would not have bothered numbering the batteries on the outside. Should something happen to one of them and even if you replace it your numbers will be out of sequence unless you replace all the numbers above the broken one, that is if you want to keep them in age order of course lol.

Nice! I would not have bothered numbering the batteries on the outside. Should something happen to one of them and even if you replace it your numbers will be out of sequence unless you replace all the numbers above the broken one, that is if you want to keep them in age order of course lol.
Agreed. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: RobP62
Check out Dylan Young on YouTube. He does some pretty cool decals and can even colour-match the gold. Only reason I'm not ordering is because I really want a skin from DroneWrap

I got my DroneWrap last friday, the quality is amazing really recommended. The skins are better than SkinsGirl.

599d59937813db86604d303f76c25fe1.jpg

Got mine skinned up this morning, purposely left the front legs grey as I reckon it looks better and there may be rare occasions helps with orientation.
This is the solid state orange from decalgirl.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Great skin, I personally dont like the big numbers on top of the batteries, I have them written on the back :)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11