DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins for Mavic.

I got my DroneWrap last friday, the quality is amazing really recommended. The skins are better than SkinsGirl.
How thick is the vinyl please? The way they contour the skin around corners etc. it must be pretty thin and offer little to no protection to the Mavic in the event of a scuff or crash which is something that should be part of the package rather than just looking good.
I am not saying they are too thin, I am asking as would like to order some as well but this point is holding me back tbh. How tough do you think the skins feel please?

How thick is the vinyl please? The way they contour the skin around corners etc. it must be pretty thin and offer little to no protection to the Mavic in the event of a scuff or crash which is something that should be part of the package rather than just looking good.
I am not saying they are too thin, I am asking as would like to order some as well but this point is holding me back tbh. How tough do you think the skins feel please?

• Thicker doesn't always mean better, thicker will increase the weight and may interfere with signals.
  • Currently only DroneWrap covers edge by edge or almost covered entirely, if you look at other decals, all edges are visible.
    • Example: DroneWrap uses a 1 piece to wrap 4 sides, other decals has between 4 (1 per side) or 2 (1 for 2 sides).
    • In case of a scuffle on the edges, DroneWrap will take the first hit before getting onto the Plastic, whereas the others would just hit the plastic straight away.
  • The material is 3M, I believe it's some standard... not so sure, you'll need to do some google reading.

End of the day, if you are purposefully scratching your drone, doesn't matter what vinyl you use, you will eventually scratch it through or dint it.

I'd say:
  • The skins are just to customise the look and feel with the addition to protect light scratches/scuffles.
  • You will get more protection than not having any on at all.
  • If you are purposefully scratching it, then doesn't matter what you put on it, you'll find a way to scratch it.
  • If you want full protection, my recommendation is to just leave your Mavic in your house and lock it up in a safe, because that will ensure it will not get damaged.
  • I'm sure if you go get your car wrapped, any scratches or scuffles you cause if not warranted.
I've personally got DroneWrap and have also bought one camo print from eBay, the camo print was 1/4 of the price, but they were just crapy material (felt like paper stickers) and they do not cover the edges.

• Thicker doesn't always mean better, thicker will increase the weight and may interfere with signals.
  • Currently only DroneWrap covers edge by edge or almost covered entirely, if you look at other decals, all edges are visible.
    • Example: DroneWrap uses a 1 piece to wrap 4 sides, other decals has between 4 (1 per side) or 2 (1 for 2 sides).
    • In case of a scuffle on the edges, DroneWrap will take the first hit before getting onto the Plastic, whereas the others would just hit the plastic straight away.
  • The material is 3M, I believe it's some standard... not so sure, you'll need to do some google reading.
End of the day, if you are purposefully scratching your drone, doesn't matter what vinyl you use, you will eventually scratch it through or dint it.

I'd say:
  • The skins are just to customise the look and feel with the addition to protect light scratches/scuffles.
  • You will get more protection than not having any on at all.
  • If you are purposefully scratching it, then doesn't matter what you put on it, you'll find a way to scratch it.
  • If you want full protection, my recommendation is to just leave your Mavic in your house and lock it up in a safe, because that will ensure it will not get damaged.
  • I'm sure if you go get your car wrapped, any scratches or scuffles you cause if not warranted.
I've personally got DroneWrap and have also bought one camo print from eBay, the camo print was 1/4 of the price, but they were just crapy material (felt like paper stickers) and they do not cover the edges.

Thanks, I am aware of the additional coverage that DroneWrap offer hence the attraction. Did not say thicker was better but it would defiantly offer more protection, it will not interfere with any signals or have any weight bearing unless it was made with metallic material. Everyone has their own view of what a wrap is meant to do, mine is 50/50, enhance the look and give protection to the finish of the object underneath.

Some very strange responses from you though!?! I was simply asking for an opinion not flaming the skin as they are my current favorite anyway. No one mentioned intentionally scratching the Mavic??? but accidents do happen and with a very thin skin a branch will rip straight through it. I am simply looking for opinions from people who have purchased them to determine if this is going to be an issue as personally I do not want have to bin $40 worth of wrap after a little scrape because the material is too thin and there is a great tear through it. Also not quite sure about the lock it in a safe comment, I never said I want military standard protection all over the Mavic I am simply looking for comments as to how durable the skin actually is compared to others. At the end of the day (to me anyway) the durability of the material is just as important as the colour/look and that is all I am trying to determine. Unfortunately am still at a complete loss and none the wiser really but am sort of assuming down to the answers that the material is pretty thin. Thank you for the reply :)

Reactions: mfarris2
Thanks, I am aware of the additional coverage that DroneWrap offer hence the attraction. Did not say thicker was better but it would defiantly offer more protection, it will not interfere with any signals or have any weight bearing unless it was made with metallic material. Everyone has their own view of what a wrap is meant to do, mine is 50/50, enhance the look and give protection to the finish of the object underneath.

Some very strange responses from you though!?! I was simply asking for an opinion not flaming the skin as they are my current favorite anyway. No one mentioned intentionally scratching the Mavic??? but accidents do happen and with a very thin skin a branch will rip straight through it. I am simply looking for opinions from people who have purchased them to determine if this is going to be an issue as personally I do not want have to bin $40 worth of wrap after a little scrape because the material is too thin and there is a great tear through it. Also not quite sure about the lock it in a safe comment, I never said I want military standard protection all over the Mavic I am simply looking for comments as to how durable the skin actually is compared to others. At the end of the day (to me anyway) the durability of the material is just as important as the colour/look and that is all I am trying to determine. Unfortunately am still at a complete loss and none the wiser really but am sort of assuming down to the answers that the material is pretty thin. Thank you for the reply :)

Well apologies on my part if it felt like I was flaming you, it wasn't meant to.
  • I believe the metallic colours contains aluminium in it, but has been confirmed by DroneWrap there's no issues with interference or whatsoever. (You'll find it on page 13 of this thread)
  • To be honest the thickness of the material is between 2-3 sheets of paper, so little scratches wouldn't be an issue.
  • The wrap (well my wrap metallic blue) had some softness to it, so not sure if that helps the bumping.
  • The only thing that will rip straight through will require a very sharp object or some immense impact. I tried ripping off the extra wrap on the sheet and it's quite stretchy.
    • Having said that, it depends on the colour material... e.g. I don't know if the matte colours are 100% same, as they are not metallic colours and therefore won't have the aluminium in it, are they also stretchy... mostly likely less scratch resistance as it's matte, the metallic has a gloss finish.
Hope that helps

Reactions: chippie

First of all, the access problem of our site was solved quickly by the shop team.
Please excuse any inconvenience.
Cluc, Thank you for your various help.

About the skin thickness.
It can be said that our wrapping material is thinner than other companies.

Chippie's expectations are almost correct.

We chose a thin material to cover the corner.
However, the base material for inkjet is thinner than ours, but the laminate is superimposed thereon and is the same or slightly thicker.
It is difficult to show scientifically as to how much the crash protection is high compared with other materials.
However, simply not thick materials are stronger.

The reason why you worry is that most manufacturers other than us do not disclose the thickness or paste weight of the material.

Our Wrap Specs
drone attached weight about 10g
Thickness: 0.12mm as gloss
Thickness: 0.17mm as mat

And there are many people who tried many kinds of skins in this thread.

For your reference.

I found a template for the top side/battery if anyone wants it to make their own skins. (PDF)
would very much appreciate this please. I want a Boba Fett theme and looks like ill have to design my own. Trying to find the templates is harder than i thought it would be. It seems people dont really want to share

Happy to pay a good rate for someone to make this.....

Last edited:
I received my custom wrap from Decalgirl today. Let me just say, the glossy skin is SO much nicer!!! Having had a matte camo skin already (see a few posts back), i was able to carefully align the text i wanted to include. The only part that didn't come out quite right is the numbers on the batteries. They were centered with the lights and power button on the computer screen, but they're slightly off in the print. I can live with it though because it came out so awesome!! I manipulated the design as well. It's one of theirs, but i resized it and rotated it a bit. Do yourself a favor and get the glossy skin over matte (you need to select it at checkout, from a computer. The first time I ordered was from my phone which is why I didn't see all the options). Hope this helps someone out.

4153dab65d75fe420b3732a9a980a31b.jpg

Wow Awesome [emoji122]

This is now my new favourite,

Sick.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: AAPhoto
I still can't convince myself to do a complete wrap but I'm looking for something to give my Mavic a little individuality. Trying different battery covers. Will probably end up with one with my company logo but I thought I'd try a little Spidy action first.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada