DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins vs Naked for Mavic ?

Falcon

Reactions
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to get your recommendation if I should buy a custom skin for my Mavic. Just wanted to get your pros and cons and personal experience.

Thank you.....

All that vinyl is not weightless, so you will take a performance hit (speed, balance, battery life, etc.) for something that is strictly cosmetic. But, to each his own.

Falcon,

I have skins on my P3P's and my Mavic. I do see a purpose. The skins on my P3's are very colorful, the skin on my Mavic is bright orange. I don't really like the appearance as I like a very clean look but I put them on for visiblility. I've only had it happen a couple of times in the last few years but if your bird goes down it can be quite difficult to see when searching vast areas. Between the bright colors and my trackers I feel more confident that I can recover my bird in the event of a mishap. JMHO, of course!

Jerry

They're very new. Almost nobody has them yet. It makes them look distinctive, especially if you have friends with similar equipment, but it does not protect or enhance the capability of the aircraft. Personally, it's a level of accessorization I don't need or want.
Thank you

Everybody has them so you can get them everywhere now. I am getting mine this week. The weight is negligible so no real worries there.
It is purely an ascetic thing. If you like them, buy one. They are as cheap as $5.

Everybody has them so you can get them everywhere now. I am getting mine this week. The weight is negligible so no real worries there.
It is purely an ascetic thing. If you like them, buy one. They are as cheap as $5.

Any impact on the heat dissipation?

I would like them for visibility but most people have reported that they are not sticking properly. Lifting on edges and contours. I flew with one on my battery in the cold (-10) and it came off during flight. Would be a pain to start loosing pieces and have no replacements. IMO the full decal kit makes the mavic look cheap. She looks so elegant naked. Lol

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Soundtekk
Any impact on the heat dissipation?
The majority of the heat comes from the heat sink on the bottom. It gets pretty hot there. The skin shouldn't be an issue.

FYI - you could use a hair dryer or heat gun to help instal them properly. Clean it with isopropanol or another good cleaner that leaves no residue behind. I have never had any issues with my Phantoms losing stickers.

Some bits of commercial reflective tape may be an idea, would make a recovery at night much easier. I've seen it in multiple colours, black as well.

The majority of the heat comes from the heat sink on the bottom. It gets pretty hot there. The skin shouldn't be an issue.

FYI - you could use a hair dryer or heat gun to help instal them properly. Clean it with isopropanol or another good cleaner that leaves no residue behind. I have never had any issues with my Phantoms losing stickers.

Phantoms have a smooth surface to stick to. The mavic is not smooth. There is a thread on the dji forum talking about the mess these decals have made of people's mavic. I would love to have them for visibility but don't want to deal with bubbles and peeling. The heat gun or hair dryer approach made no difference in getting longevity out of the decals.

I have (what I consider at least) to be one of the more 'higher-end' skins on my mavic. No sticking issues at all. I also don't buy this whole 'over-heating' talk. Very happy with it.

O
Phantoms have a smooth surface to stick to. The mavic is not smooth. There is a thread on the dji forum talking about the mess these decals have made of people's mavic. I would love to have them for visibility but don't want to deal with bubbles and peeling. The heat gun or hair dryer approach made no difference in getting longevity out of the decals.

Only the P4 is smooth, the older Phantom series are very similar finish to the Mavic.

I have (what I consider at least) to be one of the more 'higher-end' skins on my mavic. No sticking issues at all. I also don't buy this whole 'over-heating' talk. Very happy with it.

Wondering what brand did you buy ?
I'm all in favor of making the bird more visible but in a tasteful way.
Have thought about the reflective tape stuff.
I've totally lost sight of mine a couple of times and it was in a rock throws distance away from me ?

Here's mine from icarbons.com
7e799ed690e3aa70d9557881dbcd1c3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I ordered a super high gloss carbon vinyl kit, and also a custom roll of a chromatic neon green i may wrap it with instead
fd1070d8159b80dcfbf4560e53d791a9.jpg

4edccce4861dcfcb9617ee0f793e839d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose