DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skyscraper rooftop takeoff/landing

nitrampanama

Reactions
I ordered my Mavic (my first DJI drone) a few days ago and was wondering if it was possible or safe to take off from a rooftop about 30 stories up. I live close to the beach and a park, and would fly it over those places, but I find it much more convenient to take an elevator up to the roof instead of walking to the beach or park. So my question is will the calibration be thrown off and will return to home work at such heights with a somewhat small landing area?

I ordered my Mavic (my first DJI drone) a few days ago and was wondering if it was possible or safe to take off from a rooftop about 30 stories up. I live close to the beach and a park, and would fly it over those places, but I find it much more convenient to take an elevator up to the roof instead of walking to the beach or park. So my question is will the calibration be thrown off and will return to home work at such heights with a somewhat small landing area?

The RTH uses a relative height from take off. So if you take of from the roof of a sky scraper, the roof becomes ground zero. This means you can achieve a negative altitude if you fly below the sky scraper.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: nitrampanama
Ok, but will having "groundzero" set high up prevent the drone from flying below its takeoff point?

Ok, but will having "groundzero" set high up prevent the drone from flying below its takeoff point?

I'm not sure to be honest. I imagine it wouldn't. It uses visual sensors to determine the distance from the ground when landing, so it shouldn't think mid air somewhere has a floor to land on.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: nitrampanama
As for calibration and whatnot, do u think the metal reinforcement in the concrete would affect the calibration or whatnot, i heard something of the sort could happen

As for calibration and whatnot, do u think the metal reinforcement in the concrete would affect the calibration or whatnot, i heard something of the sort could happen
Most certainly. Please read on how to calibrate the Mavic.

It will not. I have flown from mountain tops to lower elevations many, many times (and of course back up). The issue that would concern me about taking off from a building top is magetic and electromagetic (RF) interference. The Mavic should warn you though, if you have either of these.

Reactions: joet
I concur. I flew in Red Rock Canyon outside Las Vegas and flew both lower into the canyon and higher up to the peaks without an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair