DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slow and steady or speed?

I went 16,000 feet out and 16,000 back landed with 25% battery. Turned around when prompted. Range test. Bottom line, I had the OA engaged. That slowed me down going and coming back. Itt was windy so i hit sport mode to bring it back the last 4K feet.

So far I think going slow and steady wins the race. Sport mode gets you there faster but drains battery to fast. I'll keep trying though

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey guys! I was wondering, for those of you that cover a lot of distance while flying, how fast do you go?
15mph?(DJI says it's the best speed for battery life)
22mph? (Top speed not in sport mode)
40mph? (Sport mode)
For these options I notice you get to fly longer at 15. But I don't know if sport mode would be better? Even though you are killing the battery you are covering more ground. Anyone have an idea which is the best?

This topic was discussed several months back without much consensus. My own theory was max distance should be close to RTH speed. Back then I used to think RTH speed was 30mph because the android DJIGo4 apps imperial speed (even still) incorrectly displays this when it actually doing 22mph (correct speed on RC). My thinking was simply based.... flying home at the best speed for range will maximise the chances of actually getting home.

I just did 5 quick RTHs, all with obstacle avoidance off to give the Mavic its head.
DJIGo4 P, DJIGo4 Sport, Litchi P, Litchi Sport, all crosswind and final one downwind in DJIGo4 Sport. In all 5 cases (even down wind) the ground speed displayed on the RC and in the logs is a fraction over 22mph. Downwind it initially overspeeds then slows up to 22mph Anyway RTH speed may not be the panacea, just a hunch. Perhaps DJI biased towards the 22mph RTH speed simply because most people use OA. So that is the limiting factor and not range in arriveing at it. This ties in with it slowing to 22mph downwind too. No point using the tailwind to fly fast it means not enough time to react to an obstacle.

I have a 9km flight, I do quite a bit. I usually send it around at 30mph and it arrives back with 27%. Will try it at 22mph next time and report back. Today when I finished this flight I flipped Litchi to FPV Sport and did some more site seeing at 40mph. Landed at 10% having flown 37,638 feet or 11.47km. Pretty happy with that.

I know this isn't the mavic but I just got 50,000 feet total distance with the p3a coasting. Had an average of 30 mph and I wasn't giving it full power. I'll try the mavic right now in sport mode and see if I can duplicate the results. I'll update everyone later tonight!

Reactions: backin5
I know this isn't the mavic but I just got 50,000 feet total distance with the p3a coasting. Had an average of 30 mph and I wasn't giving it full power. I'll try the mavic right now in sport mode and see if I can duplicate the results. I'll update everyone later tonight!

What the heck is coasting. Explain that in more detail I will try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So for phantoms you give it about 60-80% throttle. It'll go around 30mph but won't be trying so hard.
I have over a million feet flown on the mavic and I'm still trying to figure the best as you can see my this topic. I think the best way is to put it in sport mode and do the same thing as the phantom.

It's like when you are driving and you ease your foot of the accelerator and it glides. But with drones you have the wind helping so it doesn't lose as much speed hopefully.
Does that help?

So did you get 50,000 with your Mavic at 30mph Jacobegg?

BTW the wind does not help with drones and unless you have a tailwind. Any route that returns to the start point with a constant wind direction and strength will not get any net assistance from the wind and will be worse off than nil wind.

No my best is 43,000 with the mavic
The phantom got 50,000
And you do have a point about the wind but battery life you save with tail wind will help later with going back ya know?

And you do have a point about the wind but battery life you save with tail wind will help later with going back ya know?
It actually won't save you overall though. You will lose more range and consume more battery in the headwind segment than you will gain in the tailwind segment. Maximum distance covered on an out and back mission or any that return to same start point will occur in nil wind unless you can organise a favourable wind change mid route!

So for phantoms you give it about 60-80% throttle. It'll go around 30mph but won't be trying so hard.
I have over a million feet flown on the mavic and I'm still trying to figure the best as you can see my this topic. I think the best way is to put it in sport mode and do the same thing as the phantom.

It's like when you are driving and you ease your foot of the accelerator and it glides. But with drones you have the wind helping so it doesn't lose as much speed hopefully.
Does that help?

Not entirely. It just seems like you are suggesting giving it 60% throttle

I just went 34469 feet with 21 % battery left. There was some wind. The key is not speed, but rather keeping the motors at the optimal rpm. There is tach which has green and blue around the circle. Keep it in the green or just slightly into the blue for efficiency. That translate from anywhere to 27-33 mph (for my flight) depending on wind direction. I could have done more, but I was messing around, stopping and starting in different directions. Electric motors generally are most efficient at around 60-70% of their maximum RPM, which is likely what the green/blue line edge represents.

Reactions: Kiowa
I just went 34469 feet with 21 % battery left. There was some wind. The key is not speed, but rather keeping the motors at the optimal rpm. There is tach which has green and blue around the circle. Keep it in the green or just slightly into the blue for efficiency. That translate from anywhere to 27-33 mph (for my flight) depending on wind direction. I could have done more, but I was messing around, stopping and starting in different directions. Electric motors generally are most efficient at around 60-70% of their maximum RPM, which is likely what the green/blue line edge represents.

Good info

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000