DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small little silver round piece fell off of mavic when removing gimbal brace and cover?

thegenerallee86

Reactions
It also hooks into the gimbal lock to hold the camera in place when the lock is installed.

I'd personally return it and get a replacement.

Reactions: cybertech
I don't think I will return mine because all it does is hook into the gimbal lock and because it is so small I'm pretty sure it will do the same thing again because it is a very thin piece of plastic and it doesn't serve any other purpose by the looks of it other than to cover that wire which it doesn't do very well anyways.

Seems like taking the gimbal lock on and off is what is causing these to be breaking.

Reactions: knownbug
At least two reports like this on first unboxing, so I think it is rough handling during transit that causes the gimbal lock to break the rear gimbal shield.

I would like a better immobilizer solution. Maybe something can be printed up. Someone had a lenscap style but it needs to get wedged on the front retaining hooks in a similarly fussy way. Need something as easy as the dome.

When i unboxed mine this week - i pulled out the drone and the cover and gimble lock were already off the unit, loose in the box. This seems like a design issue with the entire gimble protection system. If someone with a 3D printer is listening - please print up a fix. You'll have plenty of buyers.

That has been happening to quite a few people. Seems like the gimbal lock can get dislodged in shipping, and it probably breaks that piece off while the the lock is rattling around inside the bubble with the cam/gimbal. It's obviously important for protecting that little bunch of wires backs there, but as it's just a cover, not sure a return/repair is really needed. Looks like you could just super glue (CA) it in place and go about your day. Confident that it's as strong or stronger than new. This looks like a weak link as it comes imo.

Alas I'm a no-droner right now, if I run into this situation I'll have to examine it closer in person.

I'll absolutely be switching to a front installed gimbal lock when I get mine, not just for this reason.

Reactions: thegenerallee86
I can't imagine that piece would be very expensive (silly me huh?) if it's available. It is held on by two screws.

I mentioned in another thread that I received my MP with that snapped off too. My gimbal wasn't secured under the metal bracket either. I can't see how that would have happened during shipping though so I think it wasn't fitted in the factory properly and when the gimbal lock was then fitted, it broke the tab off.
The gimbal lock will break that bit if the gimbal isn't seated properly.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

That has been happening to quite a few people. Seems like the gimbal lock can get dislodged in shipping, and it probably breaks that piece off while the the lock is rattling around inside the bubble with the cam/gimbal. It's obviously important for protecting that little bunch of wires backs there, but as it's just a cover, not sure a return/repair is really needed. Looks like you could just super glue (CA) it in place and go about your day. Confident that it's as strong or stronger than new. This looks like a weak link as it comes imo.

Alas I'm a no-droner right now, if I run into this situation I'll have to examine it closer in person.

I'll absolutely be switching to a front installed gimbal lock when I get mine, not just for this reason.
That is why I am not going to ship mine back over something that may be from when we were unboxing it and I don't want to wait any longer for another one.

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
The same exact thing happened to mine when i received it 2/2. The gimbal lock was in place, but gimbal was moving freely in side of clear shield. I called them that day. Still haven't received my return shipping label as of 2/7. I don't think it has a huge impact on the operation of drone. But the fact it has the gold screen embossed in the plastic may ward off interference with camera lens. Thats just a guess, i haven't had any confirmation of that. I have not flown my Mavic, haven't even turned it on, its still in the box. I dont want to take the chance of them not replacing it or having to use my DJI care package. So yes who ever comes up with fix, i will gladly be your first customer.

Also my fear of not sending it back is that the gimbal could have suffered internal damage and will not work properly. Is there a test i can do to check the gimbal and make sure it is working properly. Thanks in advance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair