DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart RTH will be limited .......

Gary cato

Reactions
never seen this before
NFZ NEAR Smart RTH and intelligent flight functions will be limited

Came up today and never seen it. I have not updated app since 0600 yet when i flew today with app not connected to internet it also flash upgraded something really fast ( not flown since new go 4 was introduced and i have not updated it)

I have not updated NFZ for ages.

What worries me is what does it limit on Smart RTH?

I've been trying to update periodically as I keep losing an internet connection for some reason. Don't know if the server is being overloaded with a lot of people updating. Might not get a full update today. Will respond later

Well I completed the update to 7.0. Took the MP out for a short flight and everything seemed to work fine. As for the return to home I am able to increase the altitude. You may wish to check MC settings with regard to maximum altitude. I placed 500 in mine and got a notification that I'm exceeding the 400 ft limit. I accepted the responsibility. The return to home however was set in meters. I just X 3 and was able to obtain my return to home over 100 ft. Hope that helps have a good evening

What worries me is what does it limit on Smart RTH?
Smart RTH is you pressing the RTH button, not when it loses signal. My guess is that Smart RTH may not function within a NFZ as this might then allow the Mavic to use DJI's program to fly where it should not be flying.

Smart RTH is you pressing the RTH button, not when it loses signal. My guess is that Smart RTH may not function within a NFZ as this might then allow the Mavic to use DJI's program to fly where it should not be flying.

You may well be right, i thought smart RTH was when it initiated on battery level drop or signal loss so maybe i am wrong.

If RTH is auto initiated on signal loss then the AC is still flying using DJI programme though.

Never had this show before, so maybe updating the app will either cure it or make it worse, who knows right now.

Well I completed the update to 7.0. Took the MP out for a short flight and everything seemed to work fine. As for the return to home I am able to increase the altitude. You may wish to check MC settings with regard to maximum altitude. I placed 500 in mine and got a notification that I'm exceeding the 400 ft limit. I accepted the responsibility. The return to home however was set in meters. I just X 3 and was able to obtain my return to home over 100 ft. Hope that helps have a good evening

The accepting responsibility message i have always had when i switch RTH above 120m. Did you fly in the same place where you had the smart rth and functions will be limited and you did not get the same message?

Smart RTH refers to flying home automatically when reaching the battery percentage that will result in being back home at the set warning level.

Smart RTH is when the button is pressed, not when the battery gets low:

View attachment 13933

View attachment 13932

View attachment 13934
Thanks like i say i was probably wrong it is hard keeping track of what is doing what sometimes.
At least the failsafe RTH should still operate i have updated the app and will see if anything changes when i fly in the same place. I always got the NFZ warning but never one that says i am limited in anything.

Smart RTH is when the button is pressed, not when the battery gets low:

I think the manual is a little misleading here.

When you think about it Failsafe RTH and Low battery RTH are really just submodes of the overall Smart RTH system that can as it happens be manually triggered with the button.

If you take the time to look in the menus in the DJIGo4 app, you will see there are several smart return RTH settings that are not related to triggering RTH with the button.

Under battery there is a setting called Smart Return Home which enables the aircraft to RTH on Low Battery. ie Low battery RTH is a Smart RTH feature. This contradicts the interpretation that they are 3 separate modes.

Under signal loss behaviour there are options to RTH, hover, or Land. The default RTH option being the Failsafe RTH submode of the Smart RTH system.

Finally under Visual Navigation Settings > Advanced Vision Settings you will see there is another setting, Turn on Smart return home. This enabes the check for obstacle during the RTH flight phase even if OA is disabled.
I have not tested it but I am quite sure the Smart RTH obstacle avoidance will work if the RTH trigger is Failsafe or Low battery. It is not limited to working when you press the button.

Now if pressing the physical button (or onscreen button) to manually trigger RTH was really what DJI meant is exclusively is Smart RTH, then logically disabling the Smart RTH in the menus would disable the button. We all know this is not the case.

So in the context of OP & the message

I think this simply means that once a RTH is in effect, the intelligent flight functions within Smart RTH system, such as ascending or flying around obstacles will be curtailed by the adjacent NFZ. Furthermore if flight path had managed to take the Mavic to a position that placed the NFZ between it and the home point, the Low battery Smart RTH function may not be allowed to transgress the NFZ to get home. So the aircraft may not be able to complete the RTH.

When you think about it Failsafe RTH and Low battery RTH are really just submodes of the overall Smart RTH system that can as it happens be manually triggered with the button.

If you take the time to look in the menus in the DJIGo4 app, you will see there are several smart return RTH settings that are not related to triggering RTH with the button.

Under battery there is a setting called Smart Return Home which enables the aircraft to RTH on Low Battery. ie Low battery RTH is a Smart RTH feature. This contradicts the interpretation that they are 3 separate modes.

Under signal loss behaviour there are options to RTH, hover, or Land. The default RTH option being the Failsafe RTH submode of the Smart RTH system.

Finally under Visual Navigation Settings > Advanced Vision Settings you will see there is another setting, Turn on Smart return home. This enabes the check for obstacle during the RTH flight phase even if OA is disabled.
I have not tested it but I am quite sure the Smart RTH obstacle avoidance will work if the RTH trigger is Failsafe or Low battery. It is not limited to working when you press the button.

Now if pressing the physical button (or onscreen button) to manually trigger RTH was really what DJI meant is exclusively is Smart RTH, then logically disabling the Smart RTH in the menus would disable the button. We all know this is not the case.

So in the context of OP & the message

I think this simply means that once a RTH is in effect, the intelligent flight functions within Smart RTH system, such as ascending or flying around obstacles will be curtailed by the adjacent NFZ. Furthermore if flight path had managed to take the Mavic to a position that placed the NFZ between it and the home point, the Low battery Smart RTH function may not be allowed to transgress the NFZ to get home. So the aircraft may not be able to complete the RTH.

i guess that also makes sense, only how do u get an NFZ between you and the Mavic? unless of course this is the posts where someone has found a mid flight NFZ update has grounded them with a go 4 connection or slow update.

What i will have to do now is head to the exact same location and head into the NFZ area to see if the same message is triggered.

Yup, anything is possible. DJI does refer to Smart RTH as a different thing in the manual. I certainly don't disagree that it could simply be the button that starts the normal RTH (probably does). I think we all agree that DJI did not do a good job in the naming and marketing of these features. There is bound to be some internal issues because of this as well. Marketing departments and engineer departments usually don't communicate very well.

The manual is stupid - They called it "Smart RTH" in there becasue they wanted to point out it was "smart", but that causes confusion with the "Smart RTH" feature/option in the app, which does refer to the low battery behavior, and which is what people talk about when they mention "Smart RTH".

The manual should just call it RTH.

So due to this confusion it's not clear what the message in the OP refers to and means.

The manual is stupid - They called it "Smart RTH" in there becasue they wanted to point out it was "smart", but that causes confusion with the "Smart RTH" feature/option in the app, which does refer to the low battery behavior, and which is what people talk about when they mention "Smart RTH".

So due to this confusion it's not clear what the message in the OP refers to and means.
have to say its confusing me too as no where does anything in the update (as per usual with DJI). explain this.

i am on 0600 and i am wondering if this was in part the limiting of not doing an update but i could fly ok had video feed.

It is worrying that this message can appear yet no where is there an explanation of it.

i will try to write to DJi but i honestly do not trust them to know the answer. i will go to that same spot soon and try again with the update and see. Only other thing is to hit the NFZ and trigger RTH with boss RC turned off or RTH button but really i hate doing anything like that.

would be far happier if DJI could sort their **** out so we know what is going on with our AC

Probably just warning you that it may take longer to RTH due to having to fly around the NFZ or something like that.

This is my opinion too.Confusion of terms - very well presented by you.Smart RTH = RTH requested by the pilot.

I get it briefly before I have acquired full GPS signal.
Briefly flashes then disappears.
If you are not looking for it you miss it.
i was in full flight that was my worry lol. With the confusion on here seems I might be right to be worried have had no chance to fly since then. The weather is great today but still do not know if i can get out to see if anything has changed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada