DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So "IT" happened.

Lathus

Reactions
Well I've had my Mavic for less than a month but I've logged over 20 miles.
They say that we all crash and i finally did.

I was just getting some movement flying done. Meaning, I wasn't really doing anything (staying within 30 ft of myself) I just changed the controller modes to see how I'd like it. Mode 3 if your wondering. I think its better for me but.... of course i fly it too close to the only large tree around my yard. Its full of vines and got sucked right in. I tried everything I could but a las the sun was destined to fall.
I have decided i'll call a tree company pretty close to me and get them to do a retrieval for me.
I'm not too worried about the whole thing except the motors. I have shut down the controller of the night, but the lights are flashing yellow. I'm hoping that the motors aren't trying to move including the gamble motor, so they don't burn out.
Anyone have any experience in this or reassurance that they are shut down?

Reactions: Bunny Too
I think its better for me but.... of course i fly it too close to the only large tree around my yard. Its full of vines and got sucked right in.

It's weird but I think that there's some supernatural force that causes Mavics to somehow be attracted to and crash into the only house for miles around or slam into the only tree in a large back yard because it seems to happen all the time.

Reactions: Lathus
Re-link controller and check batteries in Go4. If something is getting hot, it'll show there

I did that and everything seemed fine, just kept giving the alarms for motors just saying obstructed movement.
Thanks for the tip though!

It's weird but I think that there's some supernatural force that causes Mavics to somehow be attracted to and crash into the only house for miles around or slam into the only tree in a large back yard because it seems to happen all the time.

Lol yeah geez if it was another tree in a couple hundred yard area then i would have already had it. But this one has a few vines climbing up it and they are acting like a net holding it in there.

Did the same last week. Was being silly and flying 2ft off the ground in Sport Mode and at a dusk. Only about 50ft away from me on a baseball field. Wanted to practice some super low flying on fields and water for sunset shots. I know it's risky, but awesome reward if you get it right.

I ever so slightly grazed a black chainlink fence. I know .. I know.

Super lucky, everything ok. Two of the propellers looked like I put some sand paper over them. I replaced all for good measure. At $18.00 for a set, rather safe than sorry I say.

Super mad at myself but I suppose it could have been a lot worse!

I am sorry Lathus, I trust all will be well; anyone remember the kite eating tree from "Peanuts?" Anyway my first crash was my first flight, I was indoors in a large, large ballroom and I accidentally hit RTH instead of land, the drone shot to the ceiling and hit a chandelier and just balanced there ninety feet off the floor, scary; trying to explain to maintenance why I needed the huge scissor lift was a chore.
Regards,
-d.
And yeah, I buy my propellers in sets of eight now, saves money.

Well I've had my Mavic for less than a month but I've logged over 20 miles.
They say that we all crash and i finally did.

I was just getting some movement flying done. Meaning, I wasn't really doing anything (staying within 30 ft of myself) I just changed the controller modes to see how I'd like it. Mode 3 if your wondering. I think its better for me but.... of course i fly it too close to the only large tree around my yard. Its full of vines and got sucked right in. I tried everything I could but a las the sun was destined to fall.
I have decided i'll call a tree company pretty close to me and get them to do a retrieval for me.
I'm not too worried about the whole thing except the motors. I have shut down the controller of the night, but the lights are flashing yellow. I'm hoping that the motors aren't trying to move including the gamble motor, so they don't burn out.
Anyone have any experience in this or reassurance that they are shut down?
And the motors will shut off automatically, it just keeps sending out an alarm to make you feel bad.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: Lathus
Regarding the supernatural force . . . I LOVE this thread. In one week, I have had two mishaps with my Mavic and been very fortunate in both cases. Just last night, flying at dusk, I ran into a tree because I had the front lights set to turn off automatically. I lost my visual orientation and drifted into a tree about 12 feet up. Fortunately, a light bulb changer pole and a blanket for a fireman catch saved the day, with nothing more than some scrapes on the rotors.
My first mishap was a little scarier. Even though I have flown a Phantom for over a year, I made some "panicky" mistakes with my brand-new Mavic. I was doing a POI and accidentally initiated an RTH. A couple of other panicky button pushes and my GO4 app was hosed . . . frozen and ending up disconnected. With the left stick held down, I was only able to bring it down to 10 feet. If I let go, it would ascend. I wasn't about to let it go up, after hearing all of the flyaway stories here.
As the battery got below 25%, I could get it down to 8 ft, then to 6 ft. I could have hand-caught it at that point, but nothing I could do would shut off the motors. The CSC would NOT turn it off. I think there is a setting to enable "forced CSC", but I haven't found it yet.
I finally got it down into grass. Close call.
Just a word to new Mavic pilots: be more cautious and methodical than ever with this thing. Great machine, but it CAN get screwed up by user error!!!

Regarding the supernatural force . . . I LOVE this thread. In one week, I have had two mishaps with my Mavic and been very fortunate in both cases. Just last night, flying at dusk, I ran into a tree because I had the front lights set to turn off automatically. I lost my visual orientation and drifted into a tree about 12 feet up. Fortunately, a light bulb changer pole and a blanket for a fireman catch saved the day, with nothing more than some scrapes on the rotors.
My first mishap was a little scarier. Even though I have flown a Phantom for over a year, I made some "panicky" mistakes with my brand-new Mavic. I was doing a POI and accidentally initiated an RTH. A couple of other panicky button pushes and my GO4 app was hosed . . . frozen and ending up disconnected. With the left stick held down, I was only able to bring it down to 10 feet. If I let go, it would ascend. I wasn't about to let it go up, after hearing all of the flyaway stories here.
As the battery got below 25%, I could get it down to 8 ft, then to 6 ft. I could have hand-caught it at that point, but nothing I could do would shut off the motors. The CSC would NOT turn it off. I think there is a setting to enable "forced CSC", but I haven't found it yet.
Just a word to new Mavic pilots: be more cautious and methodical than ever with this thing. Great machine, but it CAN get screwed up by user error!!!
Just did the walk of shame. Carrying a pole pruner and 8' ladder to my 1/2 block away park to get my Mavic out of a tree. I get going hot and drift out of a corner and whoops. Only lost a prop. Ordering a four set from Amazon for $20.00. Probably not OEM but all reviews say they fit and fly fine. Could be they won't stand up to abuse quite as well. Word to the wise: when going bat out of hell, be 10' above tallest tree in vicinity.

Well I got it the morning. These tree companies around me most not get up early.
I called 5 and finally got one, cost me $100 for 15 minutes of his time but he did have to drive a little bit in a big truck so ehh. I was out of options lol.
Anyways last night I went up a 20' ladder with a pruner that had a saw on it. I knew i was moving it around but the thing was 45' up so it just wasn't happening.
The tree guy said it was sitting in the vines like a nest. But I noticed that i must have hit it a few times with the saw end. It had a couple scraps on it that wasn't consistent with the tree nothing serious and It had one crack prop. I quickly replaced the prop and lit her up to see how it was. She went up and flew fine, seemingly.
Im hoping all continues to be fine.
They say it happens to us all and it did finally happen to me. Just took my attention off for a second lol guess thats all it takes.

Thats awesome! Glad you were able to get it out. Mine was 40' up and caught in a nest of vines. I'm just glad it was on my property, i was ready to cut the tree down if I didn't think it would break the Mavic lmao

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent