DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So lucky. (Crash)

boldblue737

Reactions
Well I've had my Mavic for a month with over 30+ flights and not a single problem or even close call. Today I crashed it. I wasn't even recording at the time, rather doing a demo flight for a buddy who is big into RC planes and jets (yep the real jets) who was curious about it.

I decided to demo the obstacle cameras by hovering 4 feet off the ground and flying it towards my closed garage door. This worked perfectly and the drone did its job and stopped a few feet away from the door. I then yawed (turned) the drone around on itself to point AWAY from the door and let it continue to hover a few feet away from the door while I discussed the "awesomeness" of my Mavic. After 20-30 seconds I did what I always said you never do, you input a control movement without thinking it through first. I had forgotten I had rotated the drone around and THOUGHT it was still facing forward toward the door. I didn't even bother to glance down at the screen which would have obviously showed it was pointing AWAY from the door. Thinking I was facing the door I applied a strong rearward aft input and my beautiful flawless Mavic did just what I told it to do and flew directly into the garage door.

When it struck the door the Mavic instantly pitched up 90 degrees to the vertical and all 4 rotors were parallel to the door and spinning like mad along the door. The Mavic then essentially "slid" down the door, struck the solid concrete driveway, spun once or twice upside down and came to a stop. Ugh.

The propellors were all destroyed. Most had significant portions ripped away and the leading edges were eaten away by the concrete. The upper surface of the battery was covered by huge white scratches and the white scratches extended past the battery unto the rear of the Mavic itself. Two of the arms just below the motors had plastic scratches. The bottom of the Mavic was nearly perfect with just a hint of scratches (maybe 1-2 cm wide at most) in the metal surface in one tiny area. The all important camera had some nearly imperceptible scratches on the gimbal surface and near the lens BUT NOT on the lens itself. Ugh again.

I removed all the props and replaced them with new ones. I did a full IMU and gimbal calibration and a new compass calibration. The Mavic flew PERFECTLY! The camera appears to work PERFECTLY and the gimbal had full range of motion and was stable. I have NOT yet recorded video to inspect in 4K so hopefully it didn't affect focus or anything but I doubt it. When I brought the drone in I used a "Magic Eraser" (the home cleaning product) to rub at all the scratches on the plastic AND THEY ALL CAME OUT and now you can't see a single scratch on the upper surface of the Mavic or its battery at all. From a warzone look it looks new now. The tiny metal scratches on the bottom, the scuffs below 2 motors on 2 of the arms, and the microscopic scuffs in the gimbal remain but you have to know to look for them and it appears they don't affect the use of the Mavic. Talk about lucky, I watched my Mavic strike a solid wall and fall 4 feet onto solid rough concrete.

Learn from me. This drone is NEARLY uncrashable and will do everything to save you from yourself that it can. After 30+ flights and hours of flying in multiple countries I thought it couldn't ever crash it but inattention will bite you. Thanks DJI for making a great drone, I know I got lucky (but I have their insurance) but yep, I'll be trading up in 12-18 months when the Mavic 2 Pro comes out with the rear facing obstacle cameras. ;-)

Reactions: Willem and Sjez
Wow, great story, sorry for the crash though! Glad it was repairable and back in the air. :) I could just imagine as your heart sunk when your fingers told it to respond and it did correctly... So was your buddy still impressed with the Mavic? At least it held up nicely!

oh yeah but my "see its so easy you can't crash it" selling point kinda took a hit. i think he will be getting one soon.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
We learn from each and every mistake.
Appreciate your story, and it's actually refreshing in a weird way, to read about something NOT caused by a technical problem.

Murphy ALWAYS shows up during a dog and pony show. It's exactly then that you need to be on your highest guard! Glad you came away relatively unscathed.

I'm used to red LEDs in the back, so I'm concerned (when I get it) something similar will happen to me in the moment of a quick reaction. I'll be turning those off. Thanks for sharing.

So the saying " That will buff out" is true! Glad it was not worse! Ive seen multiple crash videos with the Mavic Pro and it has handled nearly all of them very well in comparison to the Phantom series

Well I've had my Mavic for a month with over 30+ flights and not a single problem or even close call. Today I crashed it. I wasn't even recording at the time, rather doing a demo flight for a buddy who is big into RC planes and jets (yep the real jets) who was curious about it.

I decided to demo the obstacle cameras by hovering 4 feet off the ground and flying it towards my closed garage door. This worked perfectly and the drone did its job and stopped a few feet away from the door. I then yawed (turned) the drone around on itself to point AWAY from the door and let it continue to hover a few feet away from the door while I discussed the "awesomeness" of my Mavic. After 20-30 seconds I did what I always said you never do, you input a control movement without thinking it through first. I had forgotten I had rotated the drone around and THOUGHT it was still facing forward toward the door. I didn't even bother to glance down at the screen which would have obviously showed it was pointing AWAY from the door. Thinking I was facing the door I applied a strong rearward aft input and my beautiful flawless Mavic did just what I told it to do and flew directly into the garage door.

When it struck the door the Mavic instantly pitched up 90 degrees to the vertical and all 4 rotors were parallel to the door and spinning like mad along the door. The Mavic then essentially "slid" down the door, struck the solid concrete driveway, spun once or twice upside down and came to a stop. Ugh.

The propellors were all destroyed. Most had significant portions ripped away and the leading edges were eaten away by the concrete. The upper surface of the battery was covered by huge white scratches and the white scratches extended past the battery unto the rear of the Mavic itself. Two of the arms just below the motors had plastic scratches. The bottom of the Mavic was nearly perfect with just a hint of scratches (maybe 1-2 cm wide at most) in the metal surface in one tiny area. The all important camera had some nearly imperceptible scratches on the gimbal surface and near the lens BUT NOT on the lens itself. Ugh again.

I removed all the props and replaced them with new ones. I did a full IMU and gimbal calibration and a new compass calibration. The Mavic flew PERFECTLY! The camera appears to work PERFECTLY and the gimbal had full range of motion and was stable. I have NOT yet recorded video to inspect in 4K so hopefully it didn't affect focus or anything but I doubt it. When I brought the drone in I used a "Magic Eraser" (the home cleaning product) to rub at all the scratches on the plastic AND THEY ALL CAME OUT and now you can't see a single scratch on the upper surface of the Mavic or its battery at all. From a warzone look it looks new now. The tiny metal scratches on the bottom, the scuffs below 2 motors on 2 of the arms, and the microscopic scuffs in the gimbal remain but you have to know to look for them and it appears they don't affect the use of the Mavic. Talk about lucky, I watched my Mavic strike a solid wall and fall 4 feet onto solid rough concrete.

Learn from me. This drone is NEARLY uncrashable and will do everything to save you from yourself that it can. After 30+ flights and hours of flying in multiple countries I thought it couldn't ever crash it but inattention will bite you. Thanks DJI for making a great drone, I know I got lucky (but I have their insurance) but yep, I'll be trading up in 12-18 months when the Mavic 2 Pro comes out with the rear facing obstacle cameras. ;-)

I think you got really lucky. First flight with the Mavic the propellor came off and it crashed landing upside down. The gimbal was busted, specifically the bands holding the gimbal had stretched too far so the gimbal now shook vigorously at full acceleration. It was entirely my fault, 100% pilot error. I should have checked the props more thoroughly after installation. Anyways, long story short, the mavic is not indestructible with the gimbal being the weak point IMO.

No one seems interested, at least not at the DJI Forum so i will bore you with my opinion here :)
[RANT mode ON]
IMHO the "crash detection" really sucks and should trigger auto-motor-off MUCH earlier.
Injuries and damages are preprogrammed to be much worse with a craft that is shredding everything to pieces some second after a very well detectable crash.
ACC's registered the impact & the "unnatiral" flight position, Motor Controllers could sense currents spikes and missing props (too low current for RPM)...
And that thing got 12 cores to chew on that data.
[RANT mode OFF]

Bite me :D

Ender
P.S. lucky you that i dont mention that the 4 core Bebop does all of the above :p

Ender: I do see your point. The whole thing happened in "slow motion" for me but I almost remember being stunned how long the propellors continued to beat as they scraped futilely across the garage door all the way down (disintegrating as they went) and then continued to run even a bit after hitting the pavement upside down. I even had a moment to think "how am I going to turn it off?" as it happened and then suddenly the motors did quit. The risk for damage *would* have been less had the motors quit earlier but I assume DJI has chosen to let the Mavic "fight" to save itself longer because in many cases (tree branch strikes, power line hits) we have seen videos of the Mavic striking an object, damage to propellors, flip upside down and yet still right itself and hover before hitting the ground. That was never going to happen in my situation.

I will have to check the gimbal / video soon (I have the insurance so I'm not overly concerned) but flying it after the crash on the iPhone screen it looked fine and stable etc. but I didn't try sport mode etc.

Last edited:
Ender: I do see your point.
but I assume DJI has chosen to let the Mavic "fight" to save itself longer because in many cases (tree branch strikes, power line hits) we have seen videos of the Mavic striking an object, damage to propellors, flip upside down and yet still right itself and hover before hitting the ground.
Hi !
Myself NOT beeing in rant mode i have to agree. All i want is the OPTION to have my Mavic as safe as possible for other beeings & property.
So if i am flying through the woods in Tripod mode i would fly in normal "try to recover" mode but if i fly close to beeings or property and did not actually plan on "close flying" then i would choose "stop motors if anything is fishy" mode although marketing has to work on that wording :)

I prefer to have my Mavic damaged and NOT other peoples skin / property...

Ender

P.S. and YES it accounted for some crashes that might have been prevented on Bebops and other Copters with stricter crash detection / damage prevention strategies So, take it easy, make it OPTIONAL

It seems that since the Mavic has foldable props, they would do a lot less damage to a person than standard props. IDK though, we'd have to get Mythbusters to run the tests. They did it with a Phantom and it wasn't lethal, but with the weight of an S800, I believe they determined that could be lethal. Of course it's going to hurt like heck either way though!

It seems that since the Mavic has foldable props, they would do a lot less damage to a person than standard props. IDK though, we'd have to get Mythbusters to run the tests. They did it with a Phantom and it wasn't lethal, but with the weight of an S800, I believe they determined that could be lethal. Of course it's going to hurt like heck either way though!
My gut feeling that the inertia is so high at those rmp's that the fact that they are foldable doesnt really matter.
And its not like they spin free, after 120 degrees (or so) they block.
Would try with my fingers, not as bad as my carbon 14" Monsters but still bad.

Ender

For new mavics, get some vinyl stickers. Extra protection from scratches. If you have already crashed, get some vinyl stickers. They will cover up most of your mistakes.

I am waiting for my red vinyl ones to arrive. Might do most of the front red and leave the rear arms bare back as is to prevent any miss-orientation like the OP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S